What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Possibility of other tablets running iOS apps

jtrosky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm curious - I'm wondering why we haven't seen other tablet devices (Android-based devices, for example) setup in a way where they can actually run iOS apps as well as their native apps.

It would be huge for a competitor to have access to the iOS app library...

I guess what I'm asking is if you think an Android device could eventually be setup to also run iOS apps with some sort of iOS emulator or something? I know it's not available right now, but just curious if it's even realistically (or legally) possible?

Any thoughts?

OP
J

jtrosky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What about a non-official way (in other words, illegally)? Not that I'm condoning that or anything, but again, I'm more interested in if it is technically possible (realistically)?

If it is possible, I guess I'm just a little surprised that we haven't seen any sort of "underground" iOS-emulator that lets you run iOS apps, regardless of the legality of it...

OP
J

jtrosky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just curious - WHY is in not possible? Because of the A5 architecture? Not trying to be difficult - just try to understand why it's not possible. I see emulators for other things, why not an iOS emulator?

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple incroporates each app from the app store with a code. You authorize your iPad and apple checks to make sure those codes are matching with what you bought through iTunes and app store. Other operating systems don't get approval from apple, therefore the app won't run. (correct me if I am wrong)

uniquename

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple incroporates each app from the app store with a code. You authorize your iPad and apple checks to make sure those codes are matching with what you bought through iTunes and app store. Other operating systems don't get approval from apple, therefore the app won't run. (correct me if I am wrong)

Which is why said emulator would need to emulate a jailbroken ipad to use cydia ;)

I would not call it impossible, just unlikely. And difficult. I would also like to add difficult. Maybe mix in a little bit of "not going to be as smooth so why bother".

But, stranger things have happened.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think the bottom line is it would be illegal guys. You would have to crack the apps DRM to run them on another device. It's almost unthinkable that a developer could code an IOS emu from scratch without using any Apple copyrighted code. Possible, but just far too challenging and time consuming a task.
Nice idea though.

Last edited:
OP
J

jtrosky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It just seems that other device makers are always getting the "yeah, but there are no apps yet!" line...

Just think if they could say that their device will also run all iOS apps - it would be a HUGE win - I'm just a little surprised that someone hasn't come up with a way yet (even if it was just in the "underground"!).

Oh well, it was nice to dream for a while...

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
f4780y said:
I think the bottom line is it would be illegal guys. You would have to crack the apps DRM to run them on another device. It's almost unthinkable that a developer could code an IOS emu from scratch without using any Apple copyrighted code. Possible, but just far too challenging and time consuming a task.
Nice idea though.

That pretty much sums it up. :)

Reaction score
If anything I'd rather have another OS work on this iPad hardware. Most other devices are built cheaply and not to last whereas I see my iPad lasting as long as I decide to keep it except maybe the battery, which is touted to last 1000 charge cycles vs most others stating 500 charge cycles before needing to be replaced.

Support Our Troops!
This post was Tapatalk approved
Sent from my iPad

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mountainbikermark said:
If anything I'd rather have another OS work on this iPad hardware. Most other devices are built cheaply and not to last whereas I see my iPad lasting as long as I decide to keep it except maybe the battery, which is touted to last 1000 charge cycles vs most others stating 500 charge cycles before needing to be replaced.

Support Our Troops!
Sent from my iPad

Thats what I was thinking. How about iPad dual booting iOS and android. I know that project died a long time ago....

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think the challenge is always developing relible high performance hardware device drivers for another OS. Again, your be amazed how challenging this is, particularly now Apple is doing it's own flavour of chips which android doesnt run natively on. Every Android release and every iPad hardware generation would require so much painstaking work, it becomes impractical. By the time you got it stable and performant Android would probably have moved on 1 or 2 signifcant releases at least...
Just my thoughts...

Reaction score
Mountainbikermark said:

Support Our Troops!
Sent from my iPad

Thats what I was thinking. How about iPad dual booting iOS and android. I know that project died a long time ago....

Or how about another manufacturer building with the quality Apple does. If you look at Apple profits they do PRETTY well without cutting corners on their cabinets, screens, buttons, etc. I'm not even talking about the insides.

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from my Incpad

OP
J

jtrosky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here's a new one - what would happen if Apple started to license iOS to other tablet developers? I don't know - I have a feeling that if Apple did that, most vendors would be running iOS on their tables and Apple would have even more market domination.

Actually, that's just how Apple screwed themselves before, right? They only license their OS to run on their MAC hardware. Meanwhile, Microsoft let everyone and their mother run Windows on any hardware - that's why Windows dominates right now... I see the same type of thing happening with iOS - actually, it already is happening for phones - that's why Android is now more popular than iOS - because it runs on anyones hardware.

Most reactions

Latest posts