What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jailbreaking OMG!

Danteh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey guys I have a few questions!

1. I'm thinking of jailbreaking my ipad but in the spirit page it says "do not upgrade to..."
So should I wait till they have that sorted out?

2. What about when IOS4 arrives will it be compatible with the jailbreak ( i,m really noobish at this sorry :p)

3. Is there like a Free app store when you jailbreak? for example to buy iWork, games (Real Racing, etc) for free? If so, how can this be legal in the US? Hehe

4. Finally, I heard it,s important to backup your SHSL or something like that, how can this be done?

Thanks very much ;)

Jake18oly

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It just means not to upgrade the firmware while it is jail broken. You also need to make sure you are running iTunes 9.1 on your computer. It won't work otherwise.

As far as with any firmware upgrades it take a bit of time to find an exploit after it is released. So you will often be behind the official releases.

bjameslynch

iPF Noob
Reaction score
And to answer your question about apps, There is an "unofficial app store" called Cydia that features apps not available in Apple's app store. The apps you mentioned can be downloaded via various torrent sites, but it is NOT legal, and most people around here frown upon that kind of thing.

OP
D

Danteh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So everytime apple makes an update I wont be able to connect to itunes right?

So in the end what would you recommend: jailbreaking or not?

I know that it,s not a substitute and more like an addition but I,m still worried that it will break my ipad or run slower or god knows what lol

Jimboo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Jailbreaking doesn't hurt ur iPad at all

If u have 3.2 running on ur iPad, then I highly recommend it

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
Hey guys I have a few questions!

1. I'm thinking of jailbreaking my ipad but in the spirit page it says "do not upgrade to..."
So should I wait till they have that sorted out?

2. What about when IOS4 arrives will it be compatible with the jailbreak ( i,m really noobish at this sorry :p)

3. Is there like a Free app store when you jailbreak? for example to buy iWork, games (Real Racing, etc) for free? If so, how can this be legal in the US? Hehe

4. Finally, I heard it,s important to backup your SHSL or something like that, how can this be done?

Thanks very much ;)

#1 if your ipad has firmware 3.2 than you can jb, if its running 3.2.1 you cannot.

#2 when upgrading to OS4 you will loose the JB, but only until a new JB for iOS 4.0 is made.

#3 Yes, And yes it is illegal.

#4 Yes if you backup your SHSH blob you can then always go back to that version of the iOS. right now its to late to backup SHSH for iOS 3.2

bolinao

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I suggest dont jailbreak.I did so and my ipad crashed after about 3 weeks and would not start anymore,i was very lucky i was able to restore to 3.2.1.Now it is stable and the apps are so cheap to buy from the itunes store.The only thing i miss about jailbreak is backgrounder.Look around here and read the posts,there are too many people who have encountered problems after they have jailbroken their ipad.
Its better to be safe than sorry.

Most reactions