What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What does the outside world know about my device?

crouch

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm new to the jailbreaking community with my iPad 2 and iPhone 4 both recently jailbroken.

I'm curious on how the outside world views my jailbroken devices. I noticed the Optimum App doesn't work anymore because my iPad is jailbroken - does that mean that any outside company for which I attempt a download can determine my iPad is jailbroken? Can they also determine my name or Apple ID somehow, or is it just a blind analysis of my operating system that somehow shows Cydia is installed?

Is it fair to assume that Apple knows my devices are jailbroken? I know it's legal, but perhaps they would be less helpful if it comes to service issues, etc.

Likewise, if I delete an app and then re-download it, how does the developer know that I previously had it installed? For example, I downloaded the New York Post app awhile ago, then deleted it within a few days. When I redownloaded it recently, it told me my free 30-day subscription was over. Is there any way to completely clear out my iPad's cache or whatever so that an app can be cleanly re-installed with no trace of the former app? I'm curious from a technical standpoint what an outside company sees of my device when I download one of their apps and how they know what I've had on the device in the past.

Most reactions