What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS7: JailBreak Status Thread (Official)

Mbagni

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a nice iPad 2 64Gb 3G model and so far I have been "faithful" to IOS 6.1. I am aware that after my model, still sold by Apple, there are more advanced and powerful models. Apart the aesthetic changes what have been your experiences into upgrading to the latest IOS version? I am strongly motivated to jailbreak my iPad but I am concerned that the latest IOS release is more demanding and will make my iPad run slower. What you suggest? Thanks for sharing you experiences.

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The iPad 3 should have no problems running iOS 7. Even on the iPad 2, the bog-down is extremely minimal, so the 3 should have no issues at all.

iOS 7 brings a lot of tweaks to the table as standard. And the majority of tweaks that are being developed or released are exclusive to iOS 7, though a nice chunk of tweaks are backwards compatible with iOS 6. They're simple tweaks but are pretty sought after. The main reason for the iOS 7 upgrade is aesthetics and everything somewhat revolves around the simplicity of it and what the stock iOS 7 brings that required tweaking on iOS 6

Sent from my iPhone via Tapa

Kerean

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If I am already on JB 7.04, is there any reason why i should upgrade to 7.1.1 and rejailbreak?

OP
Mickey330

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If I am already on JB 7.04, is there any reason why i should upgrade to 7.1.1 and rejailbreak?

It really is a judgement call. I have not made the jump up mainly because most of the tweaks I have on my 7.0.6 devices have not been updated to run on iOS 7.1.2 (which is the most current, now).

Other people may see their tweaks have been updated and so want to move to take advantage of the updated iOS.

So, it's really up to you. There is no harm in updating. I'm just waiting for all my tweaks to get updated ... or iOS 8, whichever is soonest. :)

Marilyn

nypaulie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, I'm now running 7.1.2 - Jailbroken (used Pangu 1.1)
Why?
I had one of those screen freezes, just the white apple on the black background after an attempt to reboot.
Unless there's another way out of this (not having found any on the websites) I had to do the iTunes restore which automatically upgraded my 7.0.4 to 7.1.2.
Running Pangu was a breeze though.
My main question is: what's the easiest way to get all my software/pix/etc. back???
Any help in cutting down the tedium would be appreciated.
Thanks!!!

OP
Mickey330

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The best way is to use the "restore backup" in iTunes. It will put your most recent backup on the iPad (assuming, of course, you have one that's relatively recent.

If you don't have a backup, or have one that's pretty old, I'm afraid you'll have to put everything back on manually.

Marilyn

nypaulie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Marilyn!
So I pretty much have things back the way they were using 7.0.4, and I haven't had any issues so far with my apps & tweaks. The only prob was I couldn't get FileZilla to connect - kept getting a "connection refused" message. I found that you have to free up root access via USB/WiFi. The "evasiOn7" jailbreak software has coding to do this, but "PanGu 1.1" does not, but you can run "afc2add" from Cydia to accomplish this. Once done, FileZilla rocks!

OP
Mickey330

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Marilyn!
So I pretty much have things back the way they were using 7.0.4, and I haven't had any issues so far with my apps & tweaks. The only prob was I couldn't get FileZilla to connect - kept getting a "connection refused" message. I found that you have to free up root access via USB/WiFi. The "evasiOn7" jailbreak software has coding to do this, but "PanGu 1.1" does not, but you can run "afc2add" from Cydia to accomplish this. Once done, FileZilla rocks!

Great you got everything sorted! :)

One word of caution, here. Afc2add is designed to run on iOS 7.0.x and lower. There is a newer version that saurik (owner of Cydia) developed called "Apple File Conduit 2" (AFC2). This is a version that works on all iOS versions, but most especially iOS 7.1.x and higher.

I'm glad you didn't have any issues with afc2add on iOS 7.1.x, because a lot of people have. Just keep in mind that the newest/bestest version is saurik's. Don't want you to have any issues...

Marilyn

nypaulie

iPF Noob
Reaction score

One word of caution, here. Afc2add is designed to run on iOS 7.0.x and lower. There is a newer version that saurik (owner of Cydia) developed called "Apple File Conduit 2" (AFC2). This is a version that works on all iOS versions, but most especially iOS 7.1.x and higher.

I'm glad you didn't have any issues with afc2add on iOS 7.1.x, because a lot of people have. Just keep in mind that the newest/bestest version is saurik's. Don't want you to have any issues...

Marilyn
Thanks... I removed the one I had loaded and installed the one you mentioned instead. I noticed that it puts an "SSH" toggle between WiFi and BlueTooth in Settings.

Last edited:

nypaulie

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Marilyn
Hello Again Marilyn...
I "Pangu(ed)" a friend's iPad-Mini which is exactly like mine and did the SSH thing along with AFC2, but this time I don't see the SSH (toggle) selection between the WiFi and Bluetooth choices in "Settings". [See ScreenShot] Any idea what I've omitted? I can still FileZilla and connect with this ipad, but the menu choice for toggling isn't there.

Attachments

• SSH-Toggle.jpg
    SSH-Toggle.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 298
Last edited:
OP
Mickey330

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry, but I don't use "SSH Connect" (I use "OpenSSH"). Maybe you just need to reinstall it in place? Or, uninstall it and then re-install it?

Or, try "OpenSSH"? It's pretty good and safe - as long as you remember to change your root & mobile passwords (which should be done any time am SSH client is installed).

Hopefully, someone else can help shed light on this. Sorry I can't...

Marilyn

nypaulie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry, but I don't use "SSH Connect" (I use "OpenSSH"). Maybe you just need to reinstall it in place? Or, uninstall it and then re-install it?

Or, try "OpenSSH"? It's pretty good and safe - as long as you remember to change your root & mobile passwords (which should be done any time am SSH client is installed).

Hopefully, someone else can help shed light on this. Sorry I can't...

Marilyn
I'm the one who should be sorry here Marilyn. No, I located the app name from my installed list (Cydia). The one called SSH Connect gives you that toggle-able entry in your Settings. And thanks for the changing-the-password reminder. I know about that and am no longer using alpine.

nypaulie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've come across my 1st incompatibility (if that's what I should call it) since upgrading to & jailbreaking 7.1.2 and that's the loss of the parallax effect on my home screens. It hasn't disabled the iPad's ability to apply this effect to other programs though because it is working on one I'd installed. The setting for disabling this (General/Accessibility/Reduce Motion) stops it in that program and it works again after toggling back, so it must be the Pangu code causing this. Any ideas? Not such an important thing so it's more an FYI. I DO kinda miss it though!

Most reactions

Latest posts