What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS7: JailBreak Status Thread (Official)

wench

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Marilyn,

Do you mean we should at this time upgrade to ios 7 and JB. i am currently on ipad2 (CDMA) ios 6.1.2 JB.

Wench

Gotmilk0112

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just got a 5S for Christmas and it has 7.0.3 on it; do I need to update to 7.0.4 through iTunes to jailbreak?

Also, should I even jailbreak? When I read about it a few days ago I heard some fishy things about some deal with a chinese company and pirated apps or something to do with the jailbreak...is it safe? :confused:

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Marilyn,

Do you mean we should at this time upgrade to ios 7 and JB. i am currently on ipad2 (CDMA) ios 6.1.2 JB.

Wench

That depends. There's slight compatibility in terms of tweaks. But what Marilyn means is that if you're looking to jailbreak in general, you can do so even if you're not installing any tweaks. A cleanly jailbroken device is stable with regards to the question. Whether or not you want to upgrade and jailbreak on iOS 7 is user-preference

I just got a 5S for Christmas and it has 7.0.3 on it; do I need to update to 7.0.4 through iTunes to jailbreak?

Also, should I even jailbreak? When I read about it a few days ago I heard some fishy things about some deal with a chinese company and pirated apps or something to do with the jailbreak...is it safe? :confused:

Any publicly released iOS 7.X version is supported by Evasi0n7, which means 7.0, 7.0.1, 7.0.2 and 7.0.3.

It's been removed with the 1.0.1 build of the utility. If you're not installing through a Chinese locale, none of the Chinese piracy content will be loaded onto your device, even if you were using 1.0.0.

Gotmilk0112

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Any publicly released iOS 7.X version is supported by Evasi0n7, which means 7.0, 7.0.1, 7.0.2 and 7.0.3.

I was just wondering if I needed to upgrade though, because I read a bit about needing to do it through iTunes to have the firmware files on your computer. This iPhone 5S is brand new, and my previous iPhone, I never upgraded beyond 7.0.1, so I don't have any firmware files for the 5S.

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You don't need iTunes to jailbreak using Evasi0n7. The only reason you need iTunes prior to jailbreaking is to restore cleanly to iOS 7 if you updated OTA from iOS 6 to iOS 7. The iPhone 5S came with iOS 7, and did not have to cross the boundary between iOS 6 and iOS 7, so there's no need to restore or use iTunes.

Gotmilk0112

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ahh, alrighty then. I think I'll wait a while longer to jailbreak though, seeing as apparently lots of Cydia tweaks are still upgrading to support iOS 7.

Rolleicord

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have some question on IOS 7.04 and its jailbreak.

On the previous IOS 6, you need to install "resetallkiller", do not do global reset tweak. Do you still need to do this?

IOS 7 is doing app updates automatically? You don't get that little red ballon no more?

What version of iTunes do I need to install IOS 7.0.4? (Currently I have iTunes ver 11.02.25) I saw somewhere that you need higher version for IOS 7 to sync. I have a problem updating my iTunes as it was installed on my c drive and I have very limited space, :mad: plus some other factors such as my other disk where I get iTunes to store my music crashed. So now having problems updating to new version. :eek:

I have an Ipad 3 model A1430. I would like to download the ipsw file from apple site as per "Official Apple IOS Firmware Download Links for iPad " thread. I assume it will be the Ipad 3 GSM version? (Coz the model number is not stated for Ipad 3's? Thank you.

p/s - sorry if my questions are more IOS 7 related as opposed to Evasion/Cydia. But I plan to reach there sometime. ;-)

Last edited:

whodaman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If through installing any tweaks (not just the ones listed) you've come to an issue of recovery mode, or your background is that of a grey color, you can boot your device into partial safe mode, remove the package through Cydia, and either reboot or respring if you have a proper respringing tweak installed. Before installing any tweaks either working or for testing/trial purposes, make sure you have MobileSubstrate and Substrate Safe Mode installed as a safety net.

Barrel caused my iPad 2 to have the grey background problem and made other tweaks not function. Removed in substrate safe mode and resprung. Back in business. I'm curious if others have had and issue with Barrel.

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have some question on IOS 7.04 and its jailbreak.

On the previous IOS 6, you need to install "resetallkiller", do not do global reset tweak. Do you still need to do this?

IOS 7 is doing app updates automatically? You don't get that little red ballon no more?

What version of iTunes do I need to install IOS 7.0.4? (Currently I have iTunes ver 11.02.25) I saw somewhere that you need higher version for IOS 7 to sync. I have a problem updating my iTunes as it was installed on my c drive and I have very limited space, :mad: plus some other factors such as my other disk where I get iTunes to store my music crashed. So now having problems updating to new version. :eek:

I have an Ipad 3 model A1430. I would like to download the ipsw file from apple site as per "Official Apple IOS Firmware Download Links for iPad " thread. I assume it will be the Ipad 3 GSM version? (Coz the model number is not stated for Ipad 3's? Thank you.

p/s - sorry if my questions are more IOS 7 related as opposed to Evasion/Cydia. But I plan to reach there sometime. ;-)

Yes. It's advised that you do install ResetAllKiller as a safety net to ensure that you or anyone else using your device does not tap on them, which will later require you to restore your device.

iOS 7 does not update apps automatically for Cydia or the AppStore. In the case of the AppStore, if you have allow for automatic downloads, then your apps will update on them own assuming you have an update linked to your account.

You can restore to iOS 7.0.4 on any iOS. If you download the IPSW and manually select it, you can do it on iTunes 11.0 and above assuming your device is jailbroken and in DFU mode. If you want to simply press the restore button (assuming your device is currently not jailbroken), you'll need iTunes 11.1. To sync or manage any media with iOS 7 on it, you must have iTunes 11.1 or above installed on your computer, so essentially, you'll need iTunes 11.1 anyways.

Here is the iPad 3 GSM IPSW direct download link from Apple

No problem. I'd say you have to learn more about iOS 7 before you can actually jailbreak since you are using the new iOS 7 for this jailbreak. Best to have a working device rather than going in circles trying to get it to work.

Barrel caused my iPad 2 to have the grey background problem and made other tweaks not function. Removed in substrate safe mode and resprung. Back in business. I'm curious if others have had and issue with Barrel.

Grey background and partial safe mode is the takeaway since MobileSubstrate hasn't been updated. Once the Evasi0n7 Untether package has been updated to support the new MobileSubstrate build, the issues should pan themselves out.

Last edited:

whodaman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Grey background and partial safe mode is the takeaway since MobileSubstrate hasn't been updated. Once the Evasi0n7 Untether package has been updated to support the new MobileSubstrate build, the issues should pan themselves out.

Thanks but I'm fully aware of that. I was only telling you because Barrel is listed as working in your list.

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks but I'm fully aware of that. I was only telling you because Barrel is listed as working in your list.

I've moved it to partially working since some users are having issues and some aren't. Apparently it's not just iOS 7 users having issues. I'm having an issue on my iPod Touch on iOS 6 as well. Will need to wait for an update.

Update: The Evasi0n 7.x untether package has been updated and pushed through Saurik's repo.

Last edited:

jockmcd

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Does this mean we are good to go with JB then 7.0.4

Just for a noob can you can do a quick explanation of mobile substrate and were it is on phone i.e cydia etc ?

Rolleicord

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I tried upgrading my iTunes and it just freezes after a while. Can I erase my current iTunes and do a fresh install? Will there be something hidden in the registry that make this not possible?

Also if I do a fresh install, will it mess up my apple id? i.e. like apple think its a hacked account and locks my id.:mad:

I have backed up into icloud as well as made an iTunes backup. The backed up folder on my PC by iTunes have some funny alphanumeric names. So my guess is that if I do a fresh iTunes install, there is no way i can get the upgraded iTunes to read these folders. So then my only restore option would be through icloud?

p/s - sorry question is about iTunes, but I want to jailbreak and I need iTunes 11.1 for IOS 7.0.4 :p.

OP
Mickey330

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Does this mean we are good to go with JB then 7.0.4

Just for a noob can you can do a quick explanation of mobile substrate and were it is on phone i.e cydia etc ?

Yes, the jail break tool for iOS 7.0 - 7.0.4 is okay to run on your device. It's just that everything (mostly) is not updated to run on iOS 7. So, we have to wait for things to get updated.

Here's Mobile Substrate per Jay Freeman, aka saurik (I snipped some bits if an article by iDownloadBlog):

Freeman spoke to me about the technical details of this change:

"All of Apple’s programs are [now] 64-bit and will require 64-bit extensions. Luckily, an extension can trivially be both 32-bit and 64-bit in the same way apps can, but this will require the developer to recompile them."

He also elaborated about what role MobileSubstrate plays in this process:

"Substrate is a platform for injecting code into another process, and a library that injected code can use to modify its host program. Any “tweak†that is in fact a “substrate extension†(or anything attempting to be remotely as powerful as a substrate extension) will have to be recompiled."

It is important to distinguish that a Substrate extension is “code that runs in a process and extends its behavior and modifies its logic,†whereas a jailbreak tweak in general could be as simple as a package that changes an iOS plist file. This is the reason that some Cydia tweaks work with 64-bit devices like the iPhone 5s, yet others don’t.

Freeman neglected to provide an ETA for the MobileSubstrate update, citing that he wouldn’t give one even if the release was five minutes away.

Hope this helps. Oh, and please, do note the last line. :) So, to all - hang in there!

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts