What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS7: JailBreak Status Thread (Official)

Rolleicord

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok I managed to upgrade my iTunes to 11.1. Now onto jailbreak :D.

Right now I am on IOS 6.1 jailbreak. So I need to get IOS 7.0.4 onto my iPad.

Some questions ...

To do that, I need put the new ipsw (downloaded) on to my device. I need to do the DFU thingy? DFU is the only way for jailbroken device to be made clean and fresh? (Worried coz I'm a DFU virgin :eek: )

Then I will get a fresh IOS 7 install?

After that do I restore from iTunes to get my programs, contacts bla bla first or I do the Evasion thing first and then restore? (Coz I read some post that restore will wipe out Cydia.)

The updated Cydia mobile substrate, is that included in the beta evasion (updated for ipad 2 problem) or its updated through Cydia?

Finally, go through the list of Cydia tweaks I had in IOS 6.1, and reinstall.

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ok I managed to upgrade my iTunes to 11.1. Now onto jailbreak :D.

Right now I am on IOS 6.1 jailbreak. So I need to get IOS 7.0.4 onto my iPad.

Some questions ...

To do that, I need put the new ipsw (downloaded) on to my device. I need to do the DFU thingy? DFU is the only way for jailbroken device to be made clean and fresh? (Worried coz I'm a DFU virgin :eek: )

Then I will get a fresh IOS 7 install?

After that do I restore from iTunes to get my programs, contacts bla bla first or I do the Evasion thing first and then restore? (Coz I read some post that restore will wipe out Cydia.)

The updated Cydia mobile substrate, is that included in the beta evasion (updated for ipad 2 problem) or its updated through Cydia?

Finally, go through the list of Cydia tweaks I had in IOS 6.1, and reinstall.

Recovery Mode works for most users. Personally I prefer DFU mode since it eliminates a few potential errors. DFU mode is outlined here. There are also Youtube videos of them doing it as well.

Yes. Hold Shift (Windows) or Command (Mac OS) and click the Restore button in iTunes. Point it to the iOS 7.0.4 IPSW you downloaded and let iTunes do its thing.

Yes. Make sure you backup your device first, otherwise there's nothing to get back after the resetore.

No. Cydia/MobileSubstrate is independent of a jailbreak. It's an add-on, not a necessity to jailbreak.

Conditionally. Not all tweaks are working on iOS 7 that were previously working on iOS 6.

wench

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I did mine in DFU, no problems, except I wish I had waited, SB settings not working on my ipad2 CDMA. Miss my ayecon, swipeaway, and other tweaks I had installed.
My advice, wait as long as you can. BTW I hate ios7. Too late.
Stupid me for jumping in so fast, take heed all.

Sent from my IPad using IPF. GC wenchwhino level 55

OP
Mickey330

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Guy's is [a piracy tweak] not used any more, or is there something else to use.

Seriously? You're asking us about a piracy tweak?

This forum does not condone or help pirates. Not only is piracy, and any discussion thereof, against this forum's rules, it's theft and thus illegal.

Please don't ask about piracy here. Oh, and have another go at our rules...

Marilyn

Rolleicord

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Recovery Mode works for most users. Personally I prefer DFU mode since it eliminates a few potential errors. DFU mode is outlined here. There are also Youtube videos of them doing it as well.

Yes. Hold Shift (Windows) or Command (Mac OS) and click the Restore button in iTunes. Point it to the iOS 7.0.4 IPSW you downloaded and let iTunes do its thing.

Yes. Make sure you backup your device first, otherwise there's nothing to get back after the resetore.

No. Cydia/MobileSubstrate is independent of a jailbreak. It's an add-on, not a necessity to jailbreak.

Conditionally. Not all tweaks are working on iOS 7 that were previously working on iOS 6.

Thanks for the reply. :eek: Maybe I wait a bit until some more tweaks are IOS 7. :eek:

Rolleicord

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I did mine in DFU, no problems, except I wish I had waited, SB settings not working on my ipad2 CDMA. Miss my ayecon, swipeaway, and other tweaks I had installed.
My advice, wait as long as you can. BTW I hate ios7. Too late.
Stupid me for jumping in so fast, take heed all.

Sent from my IPad using IPF. GC wenchwhino level 55

:eek: :eek: That is what I fear! That I might hate IOS 7. :mad:

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you like the iOS 6 look and feel, there's an iOS 6 theme for iOS 7 devices that replaces nearly everything with the iOS 6 UI.

Winterboard works fine now?

Also guys I am looking for a jailbreak tweak that gives you a pair windows like feature, just like what samsung devices has.

wench

iPF Novice
Reaction score
:eek: :eek: That is what I fear! That I might hate IOS 7. :mad:
it is ugly in my opinion, took awhile just to figure out how to drop all my aps running,
. I guess I relied alot on sb settings and swipe away to free memory up. I am new to the JB community, but I loved all I had set up, now I feel lost. Bummer, guess we just wait for themes, and tweaks that work for us.:(

Sent from my IPad using IPF. GC wenchwhino HD level 57

wench

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you like the iOS 6 look and feel, there's an iOS 6 theme for iOS 7 devices that replaces nearly everything with the iOS 6 UI.
read about that one, but I really miss my tweaks, and ayecon

Sent from my IPad using IPF. GC wenchwhino HD level 57

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
As a safety precaution/net for all jailbreakers, please install afc2add, OpenSSH and MobileTerminal onto your devices before installing ANY packages through Cydia. With these 3 packages, you can troubleshoot 99% of problems on jailbroken devices, which is especially important if the latest iOS is not jailbreak-able. That way, we can troubleshoot your issue without having to perform a complete restore and lose your jailbreak. The 3 packages take up an extremely negligible amount of space on your device and none of them conflicts or causes any issue to your device, and makes troubleshooting a heck of a lot easier.

Optionally, you can manually install Cydia (Mobile) Substrate, which will also install Substrate Safe Mode, which can also be used for troubleshooting quite a few issues. Many tweaks rely on Cydia Substrate, so you may or may not have to install it manually as a package with a Cydia Substrate dependency will automatically download it as well.

Most reactions