What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS 4.2 GM - 8C134b

Mike_73

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I installed GM2 2 days ago, and I haven't found the airplay thingy either. I had seen it on screenshots of GM1 which I didn't install though.

I tried the airprint function, but I seem to have a problem on my win7 system. I send a webpage, it shows spooling on win7, so airprint itself seems to work.
Does anyone have an idea what that could be? I set up a guest account as I had read that airprint would need it. I have checked in itunes that the printer gets shared and I have checked that the printer in its settings is set to be shared, to.
Printing from PC works, but whenever I send something from airprint, windows does not display a proper icon in the printjobs window.
Any ideas?

By the way, winnie the pooh opens again in GM2 vs. Beta3.

isrararrafi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I installed GM2 2 days ago, and I haven't found the airplay thingy either. I had seen it on screenshots of GM1 which I didn't install though.

I tried the airprint function, but I seem to have a problem on my win7 system. I send a webpage, it shows spooling on win7, so airprint itself seems to work.
Does anyone have an idea what that could be? I set up a guest account as I had read that airprint would need it. I have checked in itunes that the printer gets shared and I have checked that the printer in its settings is set to be shared, to.
Printing from PC works, but whenever I send something from airprint, windows does not display a proper icon in the printjobs window.
Any ideas?

By the way, winnie the pooh opens again in GM2 vs. Beta3.

gm1 does not have airplay icon either, i have tried it yesterday thinking maybe they removed it from GM2. but it was exactly the same minus the wifi (which does not really work like many here have reported) so i restored it back to GM2. But anyway, it is not a big concern for me right now because i have neither apple tv nor any speakers i can stream the songs to. Maybe i need to have airplay capable devices for the icon to show up in the ipad..just a guess.

Mike_73

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That may be. I don't have a usage for airplay either. I just want to be capable of printing stuff right from the iPad without having to go through cumbersome itunes. But I guess I have to take some time to find out why it's not printing although win7 shows a transmitted document :-(

Fabio_rj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You must have a apple tv or any other airplay capable device for the icon to show up. When my apple tv is turned off no icon is shown. When i turn on my apple tv, there it is. Airprint is something that i am still making my mind about buying a hp e-print to have this function.
Man, i am using ios 4.2 GM second release. Will i be able to update to the final ios 4.2 public version when it comes out even if my version is 4.2?
Thanks,
Fabio.

dcamjones

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Any ideas?

Where is the option to enable printing. Can't seem to find it

iwhat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You must have a apple tv or any other airplay capable device for the icon to show up. When my apple tv is turned off no icon is shown. When i turn on my apple tv, there it is. Airprint is something that i am still making my mind about buying a hp e-print to have this function.
Man, i am using ios 4.2 GM second release. Will i be able to update to the final ios 4.2 public version when it comes out even if my version is 4.2?
Thanks,
Fabio.

Like he said,you must have compatible devices to use these features. It's kind of carrier,like if your carrier supports a tethering for 3G you get the option in cellular panel but if it doesnt the the option wont even appear.

Thanks

Mike_73

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Any ideas?

There is one checkbox in the itunes preferences (although I'm not sure if the checkbox is still there in the final 10.1, I had the beta installed a while ago). Another one is in the printers settings under the system settings in win where you allow others to share the printer.

dcamjones

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Any ideas?

There is one checkbox in the itunes preferences (although I'm not sure if the checkbox is still there in the final 10.1, I had the beta installed a while ago). Another one is in the printers settings under the system settings in win where you allow others to share the printer.

Thank you. I have the final 10.1 Itunes installed and the checkbox doesn't seem to exist there. I will set it up on my PC

Mike_73

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Thank you. I have the final 10.1 Itunes installed and the checkbox doesn't seem to exist there. I will set it up on my PC

I ran across a link yesterday that had a zip-file for download call airprint.zip.
One of the files included in the zip is called XpdfPrint.dll. This may be a missing part on my system preventing the document to be sent from the spooling queue to my printer. I'll probably give it a try tonight. There's also an airprint.exe file. I just cannot remember where I found that link though.
But so far, it sounds as if I can get my system to print after all.

gjperera

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.gilsmethod.com
Any ideas?

Have you tried printing from the device already? You don't really enable AirPrint, the only thing you need to do is make sure that your Windows 7 or Mac has a shared printer attached. I am able to print to a 3 year old HP AIO printer just fine using this method. The iPad will automatically list the printer when you try to print something from it.

The other thing to keep in mind is that the iPad and your computer must be on the same network for this to work.

There's really nothing else to it. If you're not getting prints from the iPad to go to your printer you may want to test the printer sharing with another computer and see if it's a configuration issue. Let us know.

Mike_73

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Any ideas?

Have you tried printing from the device already? You don't really enable AirPrint, the only thing you need to do is make sure that your Windows 7 or Mac has a shared printer attached. I am able to print to a 3 year old HP AIO printer just fine using this method. The iPad will automatically list the printer when you try to print something from it.

The other thing to keep in mind is that the iPad and your computer must be on the same network for this to work.

There's really nothing else to it. If you're not getting prints from the iPad to go to your printer you may want to test the printer sharing with another computer and see if it's a configuration issue. Let us know.

I think it must be a configuration thing. I wanted to try out the airprint.zip files yesterday, and when I did so, I realised that all folders and files were already there in the system. Also, I can see my printer on the iPad and I can see a file coming up in the print manager on my PC when I print from the iPad. It seems the file is not getting forwarded from there to the printer. Guess I'll try again during the weekend.

Most reactions

Latest posts