What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS 4.2 GM - 8C134b

Davidmacpherson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I completely agree, why the rush to download something the supplier is still working on? If I were leading Apple, I would do my best to protect beta versions from being downloaded by anyone othernthan approved users and they would be under legal agreements NOT to supply or release to anyone.

We all want to see the improvements planned with the new OS but it isn't exactly life threatening if it takes a few days longer to be released is it?

David

As a newbie albeit with 15 or so years of mucking about with computers, I think us “Apple Virgins†should practice patience. We should not be trying to push things and start downloading Beta or GM versions. Leave that to you expert blokes! My thoughts are that once Apple are ready and happy that the OS is at its best they will release it. Don’t you agree Guys??

Fabio_rj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the same question here... anyone???

I had a quick question. If I have the GM installed will iTunes push the official update when it comes out or will I need to go back to 3.2.2 to get it? Thanks.

I have the same question. And i don't have any idea about how to go back to 3.2.2 since my device is not jailbroken and I don't have a firmware backup.
Maybe iTunes will understand that IOS4.2 GM 8C134/8C134b is not the public version.

Let's wait to see.
Fabio.

Ksane

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Has anyone who had the Wifi issues with GM1 been able to test this new version and confirm they are resolved? That will help clear the way for the official update next week.
I broke down and tried it this morning for something to mess with. I had wifi problems with the 1st GM but none ever before or on the betas. I did managed to connect this morning with the 2nd GM for all of about 10 seconds. I never could get it to connect to wifi again so ended up taking it off. I'm not a developer so various people (who shall remain nameless) are going to say my opinion and experience doesnt count. So take it for what little it's worth.

iwhat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I broke down and tried it this morning for something to mess with. I had wifi problems with the 1st GM but none ever before or on the betas. I did managed to connect this morning with the 2nd GM for all of about 10 seconds. I never could get it to connect to wifi again so ended up taking it off. I'm not a developer so various people (who shall remain nameless) are going to say my opinion and experience doesnt count. So take it for what little it's worth.

To be honest you are one of those people whose opinions got counted and apple delayed the official release and send for retesting and another update.Apple counts everyone's opinions and reports which is one of the best things that you rarely see in electronic product industry. Eventhough hating the waiting,but I am really liking this about apple,apple actually care about its consumers and what they are saying and asking for,unlike some other giants who doesn't care once you bought off their product. Their response to the bug report or minor issues is a new model of that same device with that bug/issue fixed,so you either go and buy the new device or go to hell,thats your problem. Way to go Apple,keep it up!! I now know why apple has the most faithful fanbase ever.

BTW one thing,did you try Shift+Check for Update or Shift+Restore ? I had some serious problems(my wifi won't connect no matter what!) after doing Shift+Update. I did the update several times but the issue remained,but once I went heroish I did a restore with the GM1 file and like magic my wifi issues completely vanished,but I also found that if the wifi is not connecting properly then you could try changing the channel of your router connect and then revert back and change the password,as this also worked once for me before the restore and another time after the restore when my router was playing tricks by allowing my neighbours' kids to overload it!

Thanks

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Has anyone who had the Wifi issues with GM1 been able to test this new version and confirm they are resolved? That will help clear the way for the official update next week.
I put GM2 on this morning and so far there has been no problems whereas with GM1 I was lucky if WiFi worked for more than 5 minutes.

Thanks.

Ksane

iPF Noob
Reaction score
BTW one thing,did you try Shift+Check for Update or Shift+Restore ? I had some serious problems(my wifi won't connect no matter what!) after doing Shift+Update. I did the update several times but the issue remained,but once I went heroish I did a restore with the GM1 file and like magic my wifi issues completely vanished,but I also found that if the wifi is not connecting properly then you could try changing the channel of your router connect and then revert back and change the password,as this also worked once for me before the restore and another time after the restore when my router was playing tricks by allowing my neighbours' kids to overload it!
Thanks

With the 1st GM I did a complete clean restore and had problems then with the 2nd GM I did an update and had worse problems. Surely when the final version comes out most will do an update though. Too many people don't want to mess with reinstalling and setting everything back up from scratch.

Fabio_rj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is this 8C134b not asking for UDID registered as developer?

Is this 8C134b not asking for udid registered as developer? Would it be a unlock final version? 'Cause I have installed it on my iPad not jailbroken and I didn't have problems during the process. I haven't registered my ipad udid as anything at all. Now I have the 4.2 GM(second release) working fine here.
Hug,
Fabio.

iwhat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
With the 1st GM I did a complete clean restore and had problems then with the 2nd GM I did an update and had worse problems. Surely when the final version comes out most will do an update though. Too many people don't want to mess with reinstalling and setting everything back up from scratch.

I wonder why this strange wifi issue is occuring to some of the devices and not all. maybe its device specific problem,but then again the reports are that most of the 3G versions are facing this issue while wifi only reports are a few,but mine is a 3G and yet no issues after the restore.I have a habit of doing "erase all settings and data" reset frequently when things doesn't seem to work as expected,but the issue didn't return. I think something is missing here,somehow something isn't working right. The next update on this friday,i.e the 8C134b should have fixed the issue but yet several reports are that the issue still continues. I wonder,maybe its hardware issue? but then again there weren't that much complaints in 3.2.2 . Somewhere in some wifi 802.11b,g,n description and stuff article,I read that wifi can be seriously disrupted when there are other devices that are working or broadcasting in the similar channel or frequency which maybe a good cause for the ipad wifi problem reports by some and not all,but then again I am no expert and can't really say for sure. I'll let apple figure this out.

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I wonder why this strange wifi issue is occuring to some of the devices and not all. maybe its device specific problem,but then again the reports are that most of the 3G versions are facing this issue while wifi only reports are a few,but mine is a 3G and yet no issues after the restore.I have a habit of doing "erase all settings and data" reset frequently when things doesn't seem to work as expected,but the issue didn't return. I think something is missing here,somehow something isn't working right. The next update on this friday,i.e the 8C134b should have fixed the issue but yet several reports are that the issue still continues. I wonder,maybe its hardware issue? but then again there weren't that much complaints in 3.2.2 . Somewhere in some wifi 802.11b,g,n description and stuff article,I read that wifi can be seriously disrupted when there are other devices that are working or broadcasting in the similar channel or frequency which maybe a good cause for the ipad wifi problem reports by some and not all,but then again I am no expert and can't really say for sure. I'll let apple figure this out.

I suspect there are hardware revisions of the Wifi chip and these issues have been caused by a newer version of the Wifi driver.

isrararrafi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i have a couple of questions..

i just downloaded the new GM2 and planning to install it in the next half an hour.

i found the backup file itunes created for my ipad (about 1.63 gb of backup) and trying to make another copy of it in the desktop, but one of the backup files (about 696 mb) is not getting transferred. its called

bfc9a74b54ca89ac861525f2ed7c4b6c6d30387b.mddata

it keeps saying can not read from the source and asks me to either try again or skip. trying again and again doesnt work so i ended up skipping that file.

can you guys tell me why its happening??

and next question,

if i install the gm version and later decided to go back to the 3.2.2 version...will i be able to go back to the 3.2.2 version (by using shift+restore) from this backup file (copy of the original backup)?? or do i have to do something else too??

isrararrafi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ignore anything i asked before, just installed it and works great so far...

But i can't seem to find the airprint and airplay software, where exactly are they? did they exclude it in the GM version??

iwhat

iPF Noob
Reaction score

But i can't seem to find the airprint and airplay software, where exactly are they? did they exclude it in the GM version??
The airplay is there in the multitasking bar which appears when you hit your home button twice and slide to the right. The icon is like a rectangular monitor in a orb just beside the ipod controls. The airprint is I think built into the general apps as I have seen in almost all of my apps there is an option to print. There you go,airplay and airprint,but yes both of them must be enabled in itunes to work. :)

And FYI I am running 4.2GM1 in my ipad and there aren't any changes in GM2 for anything except the wifi thingies so there must be the airplay and airprint in GM2 so don't worry.

I suspect there are hardware revisions of the Wifi chip and these issues have been caused by a newer version of the Wifi driver.

Yep,this one can be a good cause,as latest hardwares seem to provide boxload of features but they carry more glitches then ever.But then again they are machines and this should happen from time to time.

Thanks

isrararrafi

iPF Noob
Reaction score

The airplay is there in the multitasking bar which appears when you hit your home button twice and slide to the right. The icon is like a rectangular monitor in a orb just beside the ipod controls. The airprint is I think built into the general apps as I have seen in almost all of my apps there is an option to print. There you go,airplay and airprint,but yes both of them must be enabled in itunes to work. :)

And FYI I am running 4.2GM1 in my ipad and there aren't any changes in GM2 for anything except the wifi thingies so there must be the airplay and airprint in GM2 so don't worry

well, i figured out the airprint part, saw the printing option in safari...

but cant find airplay...i already looked for it in the multitask bar, and all it has is the orientation lock, brightness, the ipod controls, volume and the ipod app symbol..that is all there is..

p.s. how can i enable airplay in itunes?

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts