What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Good news?

OP
Gamingipad

Gamingipad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Guuuuuuys im so excited. They have just anounced they will release the Jailbreak in a couple of days...

Crazy shiAt :p

I got the info from geohots twitter. cant share the link with you guys cause im on my ipad and im to lazy to get back to the twitter app and copy the link cause its 0.24 am over here in belgium..

Cheers and hang thight for the latest updates

Ps: i will first post here :)

jonnydrama

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Guuuuuuys im so excited. They have just anounced they will release the Jailbreak in a couple of days...

Crazy shiAt :p

I got the info from geohots twitter. cant share the link with you guys cause im on my ipad and im to lazy to get back to the twitter app and copy the link cause its 0.24 am over here in belgium..

Cheers and hang thight for the latest updates

Ps: i will first post here :)

Very cool huh!

djricekcn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
why does every site that mentions about this says iDevices; iPhone4 and iPod Touch, but never the iPad

Macmee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I upgraded to 4.2 beta. How can I use this jailbreak upon release tomorrow or soon.

Usafbuckeye

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Based on my limited understanding, this is an exploit that uses the hardware of your idevice and is not affected by software changes. So, to me, this means that your beta software will have zero affect on if the jailbreak works or not.

Afide

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Based on my limited understanding, this is an exploit that uses the hardware of your idevice and is not affected by software changes. So, to me, this means that your beta software will have zero affect on if the jailbreak works or not.

It uses the bootrom which technically isn't hardware, but apple wouldn't be able to do anything about it unless they shipped out new units etc.

Last edited:

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score

It uses the bootroom which technically isn't hardware, but apple wouldn't be able to do anything about it unless they shipped out new units etc.

Yep but that also mean, if your device got trouble you take the risk to refused the warranty by Apple .. as this can’t be reverse

maybe not so many people notice that but is a existing risk

Afide

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yep but that also mean, if your device got trouble you take the risk to refused the warranty by Apple .. as this can’t be reverse

That's something I've been thinking about, and I, along with most people I assume are worried about this.

Glenfiddich1983

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Maybe a n00b question, but if the jailbreak is software-based why is it irreversible?

Can't you say back up the old bootroom before installing the jailbreak?

And when it's needed, just use a program to overwrite the jailbreaked bootroom with the backed-up original?

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Maybe I have been wrong in my understanding, but I think the term "pwned for life" is confusing some people.

A device that is jailbroken can still be jailed if you restore the standard device firmware. The reason this jailbreak is termed "pwned for life" is because it uses a hardware vulnerability rather than a software one, so the method for applying the jailbreak cannot be patched by Apple on devices that are already shipped.

Andymyrick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yesterday, MuscleNerd from the dev-team posted a video of him ssh'ing into the new Apple TV using SHAtter to changes some things. His twitter said that he will be looking into how to add jailbroken apps to the device. For the Apple TV, users will only be able to run jailbroken apps if they choose to jailbreak the device at all.

Macmee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If we can flash over a custom bootrom surly Apple could push out an OTA revision of the official bootrom?

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If we can flash over a custom bootrom surly Apple could push out an OTA revision of the official bootrom?
There is no such thing as a custom bootrom flashed by users. The bootroom is non-writable. It is the safety net that allows the device to be restored no matter what. It is the reason you cannot brick an iOS device.

And there most certainly is no "OTA" revision of the bootrom. The only thing Apple can do is change the bootrom and use it in new devices. That is exactly what they did, for example, on the iPhone 3GS.... the "old" bootrom 3GS's are generally easier to jb than the "new" bootrom 3GS's.

Michael

Most reactions