What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just bought an Ipad, some noob jailbreak questions

Runner

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi. Just picked up a new 64gb Ipad last night. Haven't done anything with it yet. Want to jailbreak it right, so I came here for advice:)

It is 3.2.2. Is it better to go with the last untethered release(not sure which one that is) or is 4.2 all that? I don't always have my laptop with me, so a tethered boot won't be an option sometimes.

Last edited:

Pocobear

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would advise that you jailbreak iOS 3.2.2 for now and wait until the jailbreak has been completed and tested for iOS 4.2.1 and above. There's not a lot to be gained from 4.2.1 that can't be done on 3.2.2 with the jailbreak. I have 3.2.2 jailbroken with limera1n, and I have folders, multitasking, themes and many great hacks that make using it sweet as can be, don't need to upgrade for the most part. However, their are some new apps and upgraded apps that only run on 4.x.x and above. It shouldn't be long now before the jailbreak, untethered, for 4.2.1 and 4.3 are out. Just hold on a little(?) while longer, while the cat and mouse game between Apple and the Devs plays out.

bL33d

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What he said I got my iPad about a month ago and wish I would of just jail broke 3.2 instead of the tethered 4.2.1 I'm using now not that I restart my device often but still.

OP
R

Runner

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Tried to do the greenbutton jb, didn't go well and itunes reset it with 4.2.1 after the unit would not boot. Guess I'm stuck for now. Just curious, if I did the tethered 4.2.1 hack, will I be able to upgrade to the untethered hack later? Thx.

zrb0529

iPF Noob
Reaction score
what you have to do is download hacked firmware for the ipad, you can google for it, then you can use redsn0w to jailbreak tethered....it's not hard to do but sometimes it takes a few tries to get it right

after you jailbreak, it's just software, so you can jailbreak otherwise later

the main reason I jailbreak is so I can tether my iPad to my BlackBerry because it's dumb to pay for data if you dont have to (I know it's not as fast as 3G, but it's plenty fast for emailing, checking facebook and blogging)

cheers!

shadowdragon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have just jailbreak my Ipad to 4.2.1 using Redn0w and would like to use the ifile apps. However based on a discussion on a forum, it seem that ifile would not work for USB due to the new firmware. Have anyone has this problem?

Btw I would also like to ask, after I jailbreak my Ipad what is the advantage about it? I heard from friends that you could download paid apps for free. But i am doubtful about it.

Thanks and regards

shadowdragon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your help.

Btw i know that ifile app happened to work on USB anymore due to the power restriction on the new ver. Is there anyway whereby you can view files in your iPad?

Thanks and regards

Most reactions

Latest posts