What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cali Update for OS 4!

kirby2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
New 4.2 isn't always good news.
I tried to download 4.2., it killed my I Pad. have to go to the apple store to get a new one, after 30 minutes on the phone with apple help, it would not unlock. DEAD APPLE.

This does not make me all giddy inside, sorry.

OP
SweetPoison

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh wow. I am sorry it died. I am afraid to play with mine ~ some are having so many problems!

The update went well but I have not tried any new features yet.

OP
SweetPoison

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How to make folders: ( By Scott! I stole it! Thanks, babe! )

"Hold down an app until it wiggles then drag it on top of another app that you want in the same folder. You can have up to 12 apps in the same folder! Tap the Home button when you are done.

And yes, you can rename the folder." <<< HOW?

It worked! But I didn't name it Entertainment....wonder where that came from.

So ~

This will be my thread with questions ~ then we all can learn. The first thing I notice is when I tap Safari, I have a little box up top with 9 in it. I'm thinkin that is new and is my big windows to my sites... But I can't scroll on that page.

I see the Game Center app ~ other than that I don't see anything different or new.

I have my first folder!! I have to find out what else is new!

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How to make folders: ( By Scott! I stole it! Thanks, babe! )

"Hold down an app until it wiggles then drag it on top of another app that you want in the same folder. You can have up to 12 apps in the same folder! Tap the Home button when you are done.

And yes, you can rename the folder." <<< HOW?

It worked! But I didn't name it Entertainment....wonder where that came from.

So ~

This will be my thread with questions ~ then we all can learn. The first thing I notice is when I tap Safari, I have a little box up top with 9 in it. I'm thinkin that is new and is my big windows to my sites... But I can't scroll on that page.

I see the Game Center app ~ other than that I don't see anything different or new.

I have my first folder!! I have to find out what else is new!

It guesses at a name based on the apps you cluster. So put Angry Birds and Diner Dash and it will name it Games, or Puzzle...I don't recall. Put Newsweek and BBC and you get News.

If you open the group you can rename it by tapping the name and typing whatever you want.

OP
SweetPoison

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score

It guesses at a name based on the apps you cluster.
So put Angry Birds and Diner Dash and it will name it Games, or Puzzle...I don't recall. Put Newsweek and BBC and you get News.

If you open the group you can rename it by tapping the name and typing whatever you want.

Oh. I see. I opened the group and tapped the name, but the key board doesn't pop up.

What am I doing wrong?

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You have to go into edit mode first by long tapping a group just like you are going to delete an app. It will jiggle, then when you open the group you can rename it.

Normal:

10%204%3A37%3A19%20PM.png

Long tap for edit mode:

10%204%3A37%3A27%20PM.png

Last edited:
OP
SweetPoison

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I stole this once again. Great Info! I will never find it again So I put it here.

Hope this is okay...

So, I downloaded 4.2.1 about an hour ago. Pretty stoked to try it out. First, I can't figure out the multitasking. I read where others say there is a bar that you use for multitasking. Either I don't know how to bring it up or I just don't have it.
Double tap the Home button

Second, the mute switch doesn't mute anything, just flashes a speaker with a line through it symbol.
I am sure there will be an iOS 4.2.2 sometime in the near future to fix this!

And third, where is the button that is supposed to lock the orientation? Now that the switch is for mute, I have no way to lock it.
Once you are in the multi-tasking bar, slide your finger to the right where you will see the iPod controls and the screen orientation lock.

ipad63.jpg

BrennB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am glad I was too busy to even KNOW about the update until I was in my car... I have this week off but had a grant to finish writing and load to dropbox by 9am and if I had known all I would have been doing is reading up... plus I had to replace my brand new phone (it couldn't keep the internet connection) and that took a while. By the time I got back home it was after 3 when I started the update. For once I was ignorant and didn't stress about the wait! phew!!

BUT I totally "get" that excitment, its my usual MO!

OP
SweetPoison

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was missing you, woman! I was wondering where you were! I read you had some troubles but all is good now, yes?

It was hella fun yesterday, Brenn!! Very exciting. I was honored to be a part of it all! Me?

Who woulda thunk?

:D

OP
SweetPoison

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Double tap home button.

Shitums. I got this tip from somewhere to do something, now I forgot what it does.

:mad::mad: I will have to get out shitums and play with it. I can't wait til after tomorrow.

Four days off from both jobs!!

OP
SweetPoison

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Further Instructions!

With the orientation double click on the home button and slide right and you will find the orientation button.

With mobile me go into settings and click on mail, contacts and click on add account then click on MobileMe.

Type in your iTunes apple I'd and password and then verify your email

Most reactions