What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS 4.2.1 Available Now - Yes, Really

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Woke up this morning to download the update, figured it would take an hour at most.

Started the download an hour ago, it says 8 hours remaining. :(

wrecklass

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there seriously no way to update without the backup? It is so broken it'll take a week. I can live with reinstalling everything if that is what it takes, that'll take less than an hour. But the broken backup is just a wall that can't be scaled just to update the OS.

wrecklass

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I turned off automatic backup months ago. I do it manually every so often when I know I won't need the iPad for a while.

I did that as well, but it still does an automatic backup for the Update and that doesn't seem to be fixable. If I cancel the backup, the Update is canceled as well. Do you know how to bypass the backup and get the Update running? I have no need of a backup at all.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It won't let you update without a backup...if you are that anxious tho you can restore without a backup. Tho it seems like waiting for the backup to be able to update would take less time than restoring and starting all over again.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just got it installed. Download was an hour and other than a lockup while syncing, it went well. Now I only have one page full, but we will see. I had some apps refuse to go into a folder. I would try to drop one on the other and it would scurry off.

Mitchgo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
dumb q...seriously apologize if this has been covered but i couldn't find it in the previous 13 pages...

do i need 3.2.2 before i can upgrade to 4.2? because i connected to itunes, got the "3.2.2 is available" and stopped...i've never dl-ed it and didn't wanna do the interim step if i don't have to. so will i eventually get a 4.2 DL prompt when connecting, or do i need to go to 3.2.2 first?

again sorry if this has been covered...

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Uh oh, my download time for the update just doubled to 16 hours.

This is terrible, Apple needs to get alternate mirror locations for downloading updates, this sucks.

I'm on a GIGABIT fiber connection here in Japan. I download consistently at 10 megaBYTES a second without even a hiccup. So if I maxed out my connection speed, this 551MB update should be done in 50 seconds. Ugh.

Digikid

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Uh oh, my download time for the update just doubled to 16 hours.

This is terrible, Apple needs to get alternate mirror locations for downloading updates, this sucks.

I'm on a GIGABIT fiber connection here in Japan. I download consistently at 10 megaBYTES a second without even a hiccup. So if I maxed out my connection speed, this 551MB update should be done in 50 seconds. Ugh.

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-os/13330-having-issues-itunes-4-2-1-dl-links-here.html

Try that.

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
do i need 3.2.2 before i can upgrade to 4.2?

Usually the builds are incremental, meaning they work by replacing only some elements and keeping others. I think you'll need to update to 3.2.2 in order to get to 4.2.1, as the latter might need some parts of the old version.

Hdchiky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, both the iPhone and the iPad successfully updated, took about 20 minutes each. Went pretty easy I thought. Love the changes.

Chiky

Lavenderlady*w*iPad

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My download went without any problems. It took about an hour and a half. I was worried when people here were saying 8 and 16 hours! Now I am going to organize my folders and check out all the new things.

FusionSarson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
the update done through the proper channels of itunes with the latest itunes software etc has stuck my ipad in recovery mode...

Getting the error...

"The ipad "ipad" cannot be restored at this time because the iPad software update server could not be contacted or is temporarily unavailable"

Very confused!

Ok i seem to be getting through now, had to take my firewall down though... very strange. I'll keep this updated.

All sorted, the above worked. And able to restore back to all old settings. Nothing lossed...

Most reactions

Latest posts