What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4.3.1 Jailbreak Observations - UPDATED

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Like many others, I like to dive right in whenever a new JB is released, safe in the knowledge that I can downgrade and restore my previous configuration fairly painlessly thanks for the wonder of SHSH blobs, iTunes, and pkgbackup!

UPDATE - 11/04 - All good things come to those who wait! I am pleased to report that all of the original problems which were an issue for me personally have now been resolved by their respective developers, therefore I am now updated and jailbroken on 4.3.1. I used sn0wbreeze to create a 4.3.1 custom firmware and did a full backup of 4.2.1 and restore and re-sync using pkgbackup and iTunes. The whole process took a mighty 4 hours start to finish (it takes a long time to re-sync 64GB of Apps and Media!), but it went without a hitch. And now I have multi-tasking gestures back! One happy chappy :D

The rest of this thread is for historical purposes only.

------------------

I reverted my iPad to 4.2.1 on 05/04 because of a few key compatibility issues related to Cydia apps which need to be resolved before I will be happy on 4.3.1. I'm keeping my phone on 4.3.1 because I can live with it, whereas I cannot live with a less than perfect iPad!

1. Shrink - was not working, but was updated to version 0.9.7 with 4.3.1 support as of 07/04
2. Infinidock - was not working, but was updated to work on 4.3.1 as of 06/04 - Thanks for the heads up AWolfOutWest
3. Themes - Apple, in their ultimate wisdom, have tweaked a few graphics on the OS, most notably for me on the lock screen slider meaning that my favourite themes on phone and iPad don't show as expected. UPDATE 07/04 - Looks like I can get round this by changing the names of themed slider elements to WellLock.png, BarBottomLock.png, [email protected],[email protected].
4. Action Menu - works fine on 4.3.1, BUT has a dependency on IOS 4.2.1 set on Cydia - updated to 1.1.1-1 for 4.3.1 compatibility on 10/04
5. qTweeter (iPhone) - Although it is no longer available to buy, I absolutely love this tweak. It is not compatible with 4.3.1 and likely never will be as the devs have stopped work on it - I'll just have to live with it, but that's the iPhone anyway!
-----------------
and these from AWolfOutWest...
- Pkgbackup 4.2.11 has a confirmed problem which requires a fix from the developer. Updated to version 4.3.0 with bug fixes for 4.3.1 on 11/04.
- 5-row keyboard for iPad was not working, but has now been updated to 1.0-1 with 4.3.1 compatibility on 08/04

- MobileTerminal is working on 4.3.1 but has been incorrectly packaged and constantly prompts that there is an update when there isn't.

------------------

Please feel free to contribute your own!

Last edited:
OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
not sure if it will help with all your problems but if you have the time maybe you could have a little look at the walk round

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/24242-celeste-bluetooth-4-3-1-working.html#post171988

Thanks. Editing the plists is exactly how you can get round a simple dependency check (as I did with Action Menu), however you need to take care. Sometimes the app won't work at all, sometimes it will crash springboard constantly, and in extreme cases you may even need to restore. Glad you got Celeste working though!

jamesandyori

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Cydia keeps wanting me to update Mobile Terminal but it won't. I mean it does but Cydia is constantly saying to update it.

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for this thread....was considering upgrading. Not sure why though...everything in 4.3.1 is all in 4.2jb + soooo much more.

And congrats on well deserved title....

Mountaingamer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good stuff as always F4780y - Ive been on this site about a week now and you earned it!

ps - please dont ban me

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the post, f4780y (and congrats on your new job, BTW!).

Really, I'm just posting so I can keep an eye on any changes becasue of 4.3.1. You confirmed my decision to wait for a while before upgrading to see when (if?) the tweaks and such get updated for the newest iOS.

I'm very pleased with 4.2.1 JB right now ... I can wait...

Thanks again.

Marilyn

AWolfOutWest

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm curious what about Infinidock isn't working, as it seems to be responding normally here on 4.3.1

My own observations:
Pkgbackup 4.2.11 apparently has not been updated to a new way of addressing repos in the Cydia update. As a result, choosing Overwrite instead of Merge kills the default repo addresses. This requires a restore and JB to rectify.

sn0wbreeze 2.5 gives an easy way to enable multitouch gestures and works well as a JB platform. I tried Redsn0w first, and that worked as well, but when I was forced to restore to stock 4.3.1 because of the Pkgbackup debacle, I decided to give sn0wbreeze a try.

5-row keyboard is not yet 4.3.1 compatible. I'm missing that excellent tweak.

I am also getting the persistent notification to upgrade MobileTerminal, even though I installed the latest version compatible with 4.3.1

All in all a relatively painless upgrade, and I certainly learned a lot as it was my first JB upgrade. Pkgbackup is a very nice tool, even with the glitch I encountered.

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
AWolfOutWest said:
I'm curious what about Infinidock isn't working, as it seems to be responding normally here on 4.3.1

My own observations:
Pkgbackup 4.2.11 apparently has not been updated to a new way of addressing repos in the Cydia update. As a result, choosing Overwrite instead of Merge kills the default repo addresses. This requires a restore and JB to rectify.

Good feedback, but I don't think you can blame pkgbackup here (you know I'm a big fan, right?).
The default repo addresses were changed in the latest release of Cydia. You told pkgbackup to overwrite all of the new repos with the old repo information in your backup, at best you should have merged. It did exactly what you told it to do.
There is a reason that all the default repos were changed by Saurik, and It's really not the fault of pkgbackup that you instructed it to restore the old ones over the top of the new ones which subsequently broke Cydia!
There's just no way pkgbackup can know if you telling it to overwrite a file is actually the wrong thing to do... Just sayin! :D

ctsluder

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@ f4780y:
I'm not new to the jailbreak seen and I was really having a hardtime with this jailbreak on my iphone and then I read your post about running redsn0w in xp mode and that was so helpful thank you and I really love pkgbackup it was amazing.

Most reactions

Latest posts