What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TUTORIAL - Restore your iPad using TinyUmbrella and SHSH Blobs

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
miakhi43 said:
I got the iPad 2 with 4.3.5 already on it can I still use tinyUmbrella to down grade to 4.3.3

The answer is no I'm afraid, if it came with 4.3.5 then you can't possibly have the blobs for 4.3.3

The Archangel

LarryGB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the tutorial, after spending enough time with iOS5, I really missed the MultiTasking Gestures on my 4.3.5, and rolled it back. Me and my iPad1 are happy again!

penanot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
BTW did you know that you use the multitasking on IOS5 JB... Just search for MTG in Cydia if not mstaken.

JDD

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I appreciate the effort in posting this tutorial, but unfortunately my iPad2 is now stuck in permanent recovery mode. Perhaps you can help me. I currently have 4.3.3 installed, jailbroken. I want to unjailbreak it and upgrade to iOS 5.0. Through the Cydia server, I saw a 4.3.5 blob was available, though I believe I have never installed iOS 4.3.5. I followed the above tutorial carefully, but got the following error: The iPad "iPad" could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (1013). It is true that I have 3G. Here are the remaining specs:

iPad2
Device model: MC773LL/A - iPad23G
Installed firmware version: 4.3.3
Trying to install to: 4.3.5
Installed Baseband Version: 04.10.01-ICE_2_13
TU Version: 5.00.12

Now, even when I turn my iPad off by simultaneously holding the home and power buttons, when the system boots it shows an iTunes icon with a USB pointing towards it, which I assume indicates that the iPad is in recovery mode. When I plug my iPad into the computer, iTunes states: "iTunes has detected an iPad in recovery mode. You must restore this iPad before it can be used with iTunes." As best I can tell, I cannot exit recovery mode.

I think your suggestion that my baseband is out of sync may be true. Do you know how I can solve this problem? If I tried to install iOS 5.0 instead of iOS 4.3.5, do you think that would solve the problem?

Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it.

P.S. In case it's helpful, when I click on the iTunes Restore button without TU running, I get the following error: The iPad "iPad" could not be restored. This device isn't eligible for the requested build.

Update: I went ahead and tried to do the same as above but with iOS5. Got the following error: the iPad "iPad" could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (21).

Last edited:
OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
JDD said:
P.S. In case it's helpful, when I click on the iTunes Restore button without TU running, I get the following error: The iPad "iPad" could not be restored. This device isn't eligible for the requested build.

Update: I went ahead and tried to do the same as above but with iOS5. Got the following error: the iPad "iPad" could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (21).

Because you have an iPad2 3G model AND IOS5 has now been publicly released and the 4.3.5 signing window closed, your only option is to install IOS5 now. Sorry.

To do it correctly, you MUST put your iPad into DFU mode (see our sticky in the Hacking section for a guide). Recovery mode won't cut it. And to be clear, you should NOT be using TinyUmbrella for this. Make sure before you close TU that on the "Advanced" tab you have UNTICKED the option which says "Set Hosts to Cydia on Exit". Then you should be good to go.

Last edited:

JDD

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Because you have an iPad2 3G model AND IOS5 has now been publicly released and the 4.3.5 signing window closed, your only option is to install IOS5 now. Sorry.

To do it correctly, you MUST put your iPad into DFU mode (see our sticky in the Hacking section for a guide). Recovery mode won't cut it. And to be clear, you should NOT be using TinyUmbrella for this. Make sure before you close TU that on the "Advanced" tab you have UNTICKED the option which says "Set Hosts to Cydia on Exit". Then you should be good to go.

Thanks for your help. I actually would like to install iOS5, so that sounds great. Unfortunately, I'm still running into problems. I put my iPad into DFU mode (blank screen, no picture of the iTunes logo) by holding down the home and power buttons for 10 seconds, and then releasing the power while still holding home for another few seconds. I followed your advice and did not used TinyUmbrella; after unticking the "Set Hosts to Cydia on Exit" option, I closed the program entirely.

In iTunes, I option-clicked the Restore button and selected a ipsw file of iOS5 that I had downloaded (iPad2,2_5.0_9A334_Restore.ipsw). The install then began, but eventually gave me this error: The iPad "iPad" could not be restored. This device isn't eligible for the requested build.

Thanks so much for any help you or others can offer! As I mentioned, by iPad now goes right into recovery mode when I start it; I can't see how to get out of recovery mode, so it's basically unusable.

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for your help. I actually would like to install iOS5, so that sounds great. Unfortunately, I'm still running into problems. I put my iPad into DFU mode (blank screen, no picture of the iTunes logo) by holding down the home and power buttons for 10 seconds, and then releasing the power while still holding home for another few seconds. I followed your advice and did not used TinyUmbrella; after unticking the "Set Hosts to Cydia on Exit" option, I closed the program entirely.

In iTunes, I option-clicked the Restore button and selected a ipsw file of iOS5 that I had downloaded (iPad2,2_5.0_9A334_Restore.ipsw). The install then began, but eventually gave me this error: The iPad "iPad" could not be restored. This device isn't eligible for the requested build.

Thanks so much for any help you or others can offer! As I mentioned, by iPad now goes right into recovery mode when I start it; I can't see how to get out of recovery mode, so it's basically unusable.

The process you are describing is correct. Perhaps the firmware file is incomplete? Try downloading it again from here - http://appldnld.apple.com/iPhone4/041-9619.20111012.y34Nx/iPad2,2_5.0_9A334_Restore.ipsw

JDD

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The process you are describing is correct. Perhaps the firmware file is incomplete? Try downloading it again from here -

Thanks again for your help. I download the iOS5 file from the link you sent. Using the unix diff command, I determined that it was identical to the previous file I had downloaded. Just to be one the safe side, though, I repeated the process using your new file (w/ TU turned off, etc). I got the following error: The iPad "iPad" could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (1600).

Perhaps this will help. When I plug the iPad into iTunes in DFU mode or otherwise, the following information about the iPad is given:

Name: iPad
Capacity: n/a
Software Version: n/a
Serial Number: n/a

Could it be that iTunes cannot read the serial number or this other information, and so cannot recognize that my iPad is the appropriate one for this ipsw file?

Thanks.

JDD

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well I sure feel dumb... I restarted the computer/installed the latest version of iTunes, and it worked great. Hopefully your helpful answers will at least be useful to others! Sorry for the inconvenience... thanks for your help.

rizzir

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi All , I am having difficulty restoring my IPAD 2 3G (GSM) from OS 4.3.3 to 4.3.3 . My Ipad2 is unlocked . My Ipad2 was Originally on 4.3.3. (Jailbreaked) . I backed up my shshs using tinyumbrella-5.00.12a.exe . I wanted to rest the IPad, but reset from Menu options was not working . Ipad2 reset start , reboots , but hanged on reset bar . (0% completion) This is when i decided to restore back using original firmware iPad2,2_4.3.3_8J2_Restore.ipsw . I tried different version of ITunes on different windows OS but still no Joy . Here is my current setup . Using Windows 64 Bit . With 64 Bit Itunes version : (Version 10.1.2.17) tinyumbrella-5.00.12a . I unchecked options : "set cydia as host in exit" and request shsh from cydia Pointed to my shshs Folder . Also cleared the Hosts file before starting TU . Started the TU server and then Itunes . Disabled by Firewall, Shutdown Zonealarm . I am connected to Internet .
Restores starts fails with Error Code 1013
Any help would be appreciated Thanks Here is few lines from Updater Log............................................................................
entering update_device_firmware entering update_iBoot write_image3_data: flashing LLB data (length = 0x1a9da) write_image3_data: flashing NOR data (length = 0x389da) write_image3_data: flashing NOR data (length = 0x105da) write_image3_data: flashing NOR data (length = 0x1d9a) write_image3_data: flashing NOR data (length = 0x108da) write_image3_data: flashing NOR data (length = 0xb9da) write_image3_data: flashing NOR data (length = 0x451a) write_image3_data: flashing NOR data (length = 0x185a) write_image3_data: flashing NOR data (length = 0x141a) write_image3_data: flashing NOR data (length = 0x141a) write_image3_data: flashing NOR data (length = 0x3e9a) write_image3_data: flashing NOR data (length = 0x3d05a) entering update_gas_gauge entering update_ir_mcu looking for mcu nub...no entry from path! TiSerialFlasher not supported on this platform. Exiting. entering update_baseband perform_baseband_update: registering for progress notifications perform_baseband_update: fusing disabled perform_baseband_update: Got imei svn: 4 baseband updater options = <cfbasichash 0x1c60eba0="" [0x2f19f8]="">{type = mutable dict, count = 6, entries => 0 : <cfstring 0x18ae34="" [0x2f19f8]="">{contents = "EraseEFS"} = <cfboolean 0x2f1fa8="" [0x2f19f8]="">{value = true} 1 : <cfstring 0x18ae54="" [0x2f19f8]="">{contents = "IMEISwVersion"} = <cfnumber 0x1c60d890="" [0x2f19f8]="">{value = +4, type = kCFNumberSInt32Type} 2 : <cfstring 0x18aec4="" [0x2f19f8]="">{contents = "autoSetupEnv"} = <cfboolean 0x2f1fb0="" [0x2f19f8]="">{value = false} 3 : <cfstring 0x18ade4="" [0x2f19f8]="">{contents = "forceUpdate"} = <cfboolean 0x2f1fa8="" [0x2f19f8]="">{value = true} 5 : <cfstring 0x18aed4="" [0x2f19f8]="">{contents = "disablePing"} = <cfboolean 0x2f1fa8="" [0x2f19f8]="">{value = true} 6 : <cfstring 0x18ae04="" [0x2f19f8]="">{contents = "DisallowFusiing"} = <cfboolean 0x2f1fa8="" [0x2f19f8]="">{value = true} }
perform_baseband_update: querying baseband info bbupdater: Opening device path /dev/cu.debug, using baud 115200 bbupdater: Configuring Hardware Mux...bbupdater: OK bbupdater: [13.01]::: Polled 1 bbupdater: Opening device path /dev/cu.debug, using baud 115200 bbupdater: [13.01]::: Beginning boot bbupdater: ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- bbupdater: BEGINNING BOOT bbupdater: ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- bbupdater: Sending boot code...bbupdater: [13.00]::: powercycle bbupdater: Attempt 0: Timeout bbupdater: - Sleeping for 2.227 seconds bbupdater: - CertID: 0x101 bbupdater: OK bbupdater: [13.01]::: Boot OK bbupdater: [02.00]::: ChipInfo: snum: 0x08011296310CD363622CA28D, chipid: 0x50, goldcertid: 0x101, nonce: 0x perform_baseband_update: query returned <cfbasichash 0x1c5104a0="" [0x2f19f8]="">{type = mutable dict, count = 5, entries => 0 : <cfstring 0x18b014="" [0x2f19f8]="">{contents = "done"} = <cfboolean 0x2f1fb0="" [0x2f19f8]="">{value = false} 2 : <cfstring 0x18a404="" [0x2f19f8]="">{contents = "ChipID"} = <cfnumber 0x1c510090="" [0x2f19f8]="">{value = +80, type = kCFNumberSInt32Type} 3 : <cfstring 0x18af14="" [0x2f19f8]="">{contents = "BcVersion"} = <cfnumber 0x1c510520="" [0x2f19f8]="">{value = +163, type = kCFNumberSInt32Type} 4 : <cfstring 0x18aff4="" [0x2f19f8]="">{contents = "CertID"} = <cfnumber 0x1c510530="" [0x2f19f8]="">{value = +257, type = kCFNumberSInt32Type} 6 : <cfstring 0x18af04="" [0x2f19f8]="">{contents = "ChipSerialNo"} = <cfdata 0x1c510840="" [0x2f19f8]="">{length = 12, capacity = 12, bytes = 0x08011296310cd363622ca28d} }
perform_baseband_update: requesting data from host perform_baseband_update: received data from host (22 bytes) perform_baseband_update: performing next update stage bbupdater: Validating parameters...bbupdater: OK bbupdater: !!! bbupdater: [13.-1]::: Exception at :0: - kBBUReturnError(1)/7: unable to locate firmware file bbupdater: bbupdater: !!! bbupdater: Exception at :0: - kBBUReturnError(1)/7: unable to locate firmware file send_bbupdate_status: sending baseband update status to host perform_baseband_update: failed to perform next stage perform_baseband_update: bbupdater error: Exception at :0: - kBBUReturnError(1)/7: unable to locate firmware file
attempting to dump restore log writing log file: /mnt1/restore.log
==== end of device restore output ==== 2011-10-20 11:34:45.261 [3768:10ec]: AMRAuthInstallDeletePersonalizedBundle 2011-10-20 11:34:45.323 [3768:10ec]: removed personalized bundle 2011-10-20 11:34:45.323 [3768:10ec]: <restore device="" 0761e3b8="">: Restore failed (result = 1013) 2011-10-20 11:34:45.694 [3768:b14]: iTunes: Restore error 1013

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
rizzir said:
Hi All , I am having difficulty restoring my IPAD 2 3G (GSM) from OS 4.3.3 to 4.3.3 . My Ipad2 is unlocked . My Ipad2 was Originally on 4.3.3. (Jailbreaked) . I backed up my shshs using tinyumbrella-5.00.12a.exe . I wanted to rest the IPad, but reset from Menu options was not working . Ipad2 reset start , reboots , but hanged on reset bar . (0% completion) This is when i decided to restore back using original firmware iPad2,2_4.3.3_8J2_Restore.ipsw . I tried different version of ITunes on different windows OS but still no Joy . Here is my current setup . Using Windows 64 Bit . With 64 Bit Itunes version : (Version 10.1.2.17) tinyumbrella-5.00.12a . I unchecked options : "set cydia as host in exit" and request shsh from cydia Pointed to my shshs Folder . Also cleared the Hosts file before starting TU . Started the TU server and then Itunes . Disabled by Firewall, Shutdown Zonealarm . I am connected to Internet .
Restores starts fails with Error Code 1013
Any help would be appreciated Thanks Here is few lines from Updater

I'm afraid you are out of luck. Because you have an iPad2 3G model, blobs can no longer be used to restore a 4.x firmware in a situation where a restore is required.
Apple have changed the way firmware restores operate. If the restore of the baseband on the 3G model fails, the entire restore process fails. On iPad1 3G devices this does not matter because we can correct the failure and kick them out of recorvery mode. There are no known bootrom exploits for iPad2 3G which would allow us to do the same thing.

So, unfortunately, your only option now is to restore to IOS 5.0. Here are the steps for you:

1) update iTunes to 10.5 (it must be this version for a 5.0 installation to succeed).
2) ensure you unticked "Set Hosts to Cydia on Exit" in TinyUmbrella, then close the program.
3) put your iPad into DFU mode - This is critical - We have a sticky in the Hacking section if you need help to do this.
4) open iTunes and restore to stock IOS 5.0 by pressing the restore button.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

rizzir

iPF Noob
Reaction score
where do i get this firmware from ? stock IOS 5.0
and is this jailbreaked OS? or will i be able to jailbreak it?
Thanks for your help

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
rizzir said:
where do i get this firmware from ? stock IOS 5.0
and is this jailbreaked OS? or will i be able to jailbreak it?
Thanks for your help

No, you have lost your ability to jailbreak for now. There is no iPad2 jailbreak for IOS5 yet, and it may be some time away.

The word "stock" just means the standard Apple firmware. If you follow the instructions I gave above iTunes will install it for you from Apple.

To be clear, this is you ONLY choice now, and it is specifically because you have an iPad2 3G model. Sorry.

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have updated the first post with clearer warnings for iPad2 3G owners.

rizzir

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No, you have lost your ability to jailbreak for now. There is no iPad2 jailbreak for IOS5 yet, and it may be some time away.

The word "stock" just means the standard Apple firmware. If you follow the instructions I gave above iTunes will install it for you from Apple.

To be clear, this is you ONLY choice now, and it is specifically because you have an iPad2 3G model. Sorry.

Thanks , Managed to restores back to stock iOS5, Now waiting for iOS5 Jailbreak release :eek:

Most reactions

Latest posts