What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TUTORIAL - Failsafe method to restore the current version of IOS

rembang73

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello,
Recently, I have problem "waking up" my IPAD 2. It was 5.0.1 jailbroken.
I need to press Power and Home button at the same time for several seconds, then the IPAD will reboot.
Since 2 days ago, I can't wake it up anymore. Always black screen no matter how long we press the buttons.

When I connect to iTunes (v10.6.3.25), it detects the IPAD in recovery mode and it must be restore.
So I tried to restore it by clicking Shift-Restore button, select 5.1.1 ipsw.
It start to restore it (the Apple logo with bar shown on the IPAD) but it failed with Error 28. Always same error after several times retry.

I try with redsn0w 0.9.14b2, it seems to identiy my device as it says Connected: IPad 2 (DFU mode).
It seem my Ipad is stuck in DFU mode.

Any suggestion what should I try next ?

Thanks in Advance
Robert

amberbensonfan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had 5.1.1 on a 1st gen ipad 64 gb and had been jailbreaking it since the beginning. I was originally on an tethered jailbreak for 5.1.1 and did the ibooks fix but when I went to the untethered jailbreak fix via cydia it stopped ibooks from working again. Since it was acting glitchy anyway I wanted to just flush it entirely and restore it. When I attempted to restore it via itunes it just hung at the black screen with the rotating circle. I googled some help and found this walk through. I re-downloaded the 5.1.1 OS, ran itunes as administrator, and followed everything through but it kept giving me error codes stating that the USB drive was in conflict so I changed ports and tried again, I tried again with the previous ios I had when I did the tethered jailbreak and that still wouldn't work. While I was in tiny umbrella it loads it gives me pop up warnings and one of them states that "Set Hosts to Cydia on Exit" but when I go into the advanced tab it's greyed out and NOT checked and it will not allow me to change it in anyway. I tried to "fix recovery" in TU but that didn't work so now it's just stuck in DFU and I'm freaking that I bricked the thing. Not sure how to get the TU to check/uncheck and how to get the restore to work. The most common errors codes were 1600 and 1602. As a side note I don't have AV running - TRN, spy bot, and malware bytes were all stopped and I even uninstalled them and attempted it again after a reboot and it's still not working. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I'd hate to have a $1000 brick

r00kieJlbrd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you, thank you thank you!!! I never log in to these sites, but your instructions are so good I had to create a user ID just to say THANK YOU!!! :) PS - I needed the DFU for Dummies too... LOL :)

r00kieJlbrd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi - I had trouble downloading the tiny umbrella - I ended up not needing it - nor the firmware - this is what I did thanks to f4780y's instructions I was able to fix it myself - I first successfully jailbroke my ipad1 (I know - relic) and had to activate it again - and got confused with whether or not to start it like a new ipad or restore...I started like new, but then itunes was being picky - so I (now I know - DO NOT DO THIS) reset the data on the jailbroken ipad and got the spinning wheel. I found this site - I did the DFU mode restart wrong, and got the itunes and cord icon - i did it wrong again and I - got the apple - I did it a third time, and got it right - blank screen - then I did it one more time to get the apple back and turned on itunes because the firmware was taking forever to update. My computer was also busy downloading drivers each time I attempted the DFU mode - When I looked at Itunes - it was asking me if I wanted to start my ipad as a new one or restore from a backup I had done. I said new...and when I opened it up, it was restored to 5.1.1, AND still had CYDIA!! WHEW! I think I got REALLY lucky..... I had NO idea how to do the DFU prior to finding this post - THANK YOU!!!​

TheRambler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
theramblersramblings.blogspot.co.uk
Glad you have enjoyed this useful post r00kieJlbrd, now dont be a stranger and enjoy the whole site!!

This is the first place to come for all the latest jailbreaks and workrounds, our community has some of the finest JB Gurus out there, so come inside, pull up a chair and enjoy the plethora of useful information, from every subject to concern an ipad!!

We also have a sister site if you have an i phone, just here

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
+1 glad you got it fixed and that we were able to help.

It wasn't luck that fixed it! It was you, acting on good and factual information, so don't forget about us... Stick around and contribute a little :)

bebebe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I've been reading discussions in this forums ever since I got my iPad 2 wi-fi but this is my first time posting as I had a problem I can't seem to solve even when I tried this tutorial.

My iPad has been jail broken at 5.1.1 and I decided I wanted to remove jb to install iOS 6. Si last night I downloaded the iOS 6 GM ipsw and followed everything in this tutorial but after restoring (right when iTunes prompted that the device was restored to factory settings, restarted the iPad, and was asking for the device name), the iPad shut down and started boot looping.

I tried restoring 3 times and my iPad always ended up boot looping until my battery ran out and it got even more hopeless. When I charge my iPad, it turns on again and resumes boot looping.

I have no issue with starting from scratch, I just want my iPad to function.

Appreciate if anyone can help me with this. I have been feeling down since I don't want to say goodbye to my trusty iPad.

Thank you,
Bebe

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Try again - but this time, use the approved, and current, iOS 6, not the Gold Medal one. That one, while probably the same as the public one, is still technically a "beta" and that's why it may not have worked.

So, restart the steps listed here all over again with the newest iOS at the software link. See how that works.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Marilyn

bebebe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi and thanks for replying. I just downloaded the ipsw using the official link provided and used it when I restored my iPad while in DFU mode. Bad news is, I still get the boot loop after restoring (at the exact point when iTunes asks for the device name). I also charged my iPad so I'm sure it's not a battery issue anymore. I'm at a loss now, I don't know what to do :(

Th3Dada

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Error 3194

Hello, I did the following steps and I was getting this error 3194. Was wondering if you guys can help me. Also, I updated to IOS6. I was wondering if i can degrade the firmware back down to 5.1.1? Please let me know! Thank you!

-Chong Vang

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
unfortunately, now that you are upgraded to iOS 6, that is where you must stay. There are no tools available, at this moment, to go back down to iOS 5.1.1.

Marilyn

Th3Dada

iPF Noob
Reaction score
unfortunately, now that you are upgraded to iOS 6, that is where you must stay. There are no tools available, at this moment, to go back down to iOS 5.1.1.

Marilyn

Ah okay, Thank you marilyn. I will wait for the Jailbreak for ios 6.0 then!

stotan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hoping I could get some help.
I'm trying to restore my IPad 3. I followed the steps and have downloaded the restore file iPad3,1_5.1.1_9B206_Restore.
I go into DFU mode, and in itunes I select the file I downloaded, but itunes gives me an error message saying The IPad could not be restored because the firmware file is not compatible. There is no error code number or anything displayed. Just that message.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
As of this time, you can not restore iOS 5.1.1 on the iPad3. If you are in a situation where you must restore your iPad, you can only restore iOS 6. Sorry.

Marilyn

stotan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As of this time, you can not restore iOS 5.1.1 on the iPad3. If you are in a situation where you must restore your iPad, you can only restore iOS 6. Sorry.

Marilyn

Okay. But it is safe for me to restore straight to ios 6?
I thought that I had to restore to what is currently running on my ipad3 (which is 5.1.1), and then I can update regularly to ios 6.

Most reactions

Latest posts