What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TUTORIAL - Failsafe method to restore the current version of IOS

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Okay. But it is safe for me to restore straight to ios 6?
I thought that I had to restore to what is currently running on my ipad3 (which is 5.1.1), and then I can update regularly to ios 6.

No. You can restore to iOS 6 from a jail broke iOS 5.1.1. Make sure you do a backup first, then click the "Restore" button on the main Summary tab. Once iTunes has done its magic, you can select to "restore from backup" (following iTunes prompting). Then, you'll be on iOS 6 with all your "stuff" there (well, except for the jail break and its accompanying tweaks).

Hope that clarifies.

Marilyn

stotan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No. You can restore to iOS 6 from a jail broke iOS 5.1.1. Make sure you do a backup first, then click the "Restore" button on the main Summary tab. Once iTunes has done its magic, you can select to "restore from backup" (following iTunes prompting). Then, you'll be on iOS 6 with all your "stuff" there (well, except for the jail break and its accompanying tweaks).

Hope that clarifies.

Marilyn

Thanks for the info. That mostly clarifies my confusion. However, I am having troubles with the regular restore to update to ios 6 from itunes so I am following the instructions about using the Tiny Umbrella app, going into DFU mode, etc.
It should be okay for me to do it with the instructions of the OP but rather than downloading a ios 5.1.1.ipsw file, I download the ios 6.ipsw file?
Last question. I noticed that there are 3 options for the either wifi, gsm, or cdma. I have the GSM, but I notice that the link for 5.1.1 and 5.1 the prefix of the download link is ipad3,3 but for the ios6 link it is ipad3,2. Under the CDMA link the ios6 link is ipad3,3. Is this a mixup, or should I download the one that is ipad3,2_6.0_xxxxx.ipsw.

Thanks for your help!

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. That mostly clarifies my confusion. However, I am having troubles with the regular restore to update to ios 6 from itunes so I am following the instructions about using the Tiny Umbrella app, going into DFU mode, etc.
It should be okay for me to do it with the instructions of the OP but rather than downloading a ios 5.1.1.ipsw file, I download the ios 6.ipsw file?
Last question. I noticed that there are 3 options for the either wifi, gsm, or cdma. I have the GSM, but I notice that the link for 5.1.1 and 5.1 the prefix of the download link is ipad3,3 but for the ios6 link it is ipad3,2. Under the CDMA link the ios6 link is ipad3,3. Is this a mixup, or should I download the one that is ipad3,2_6.0_xxxxx.ipsw.

Thanks for your help!

Thanks for the heads up on the links. That was my bad. You tend to go a little boss eyed when editing that thread with so many links! I think I've got it round the right way now...

Aside from the significant inconvenience of downloading the wrong file, iTunes would not let you install it anyway, if it was wrong. Apologies if you did download the wrong one though!

And just to clarify, yes, you must always use the latest version of IOS for this guide to work. At the moment that is IOS 6.0. It will not work for 5.1.1 today as Apple no longer authorise it's installation.

Last edited:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
And yes, you can use the instructions that tell you to put the iPad into DFU mode and use the shift/restore method of installing the .ipsw file you downloaded.

That's the way I do it myself. No harm and it works a treat.

Marilyn

stotan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Perfect.

Thanks for the help. I've got it to work now.

cheers,
Andy

HHaane

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Truly desperate now.
ipad2 (3G) stuck in recovery mode and it's not jailborken. I tried steps many times, make sure in GFU mode...
and I still got 3014 error, for the iPad2,2_5.1.1_9B206_Restore................

Problem kinda solved, you really need to completely delete the antivirus program....simply disable it won't work

BTW I used kaspersky pure

Last edited:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Truly desperate now.
ipad2 (3G) stuck in recovery mode and it's not jailborken. I tried steps many times, make sure in GFU mode...
and I still got 3014 error, for the iPad2,2_5.1.1_9B206_Restore................

HELP PLEASE

You can't use the iOS 5.1.1 to restore your iPad. You have to use iOS 6, which is the most current Apple-approved iOS. Download iOS 6 from this site and start again ("throw away" the one for 5.1.1 - it's no good any more).

Marilyn

Tenb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My friend asks whether it is possible to roll back the firmware on IOS 5.1? iPad New

griskath

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I recently became involved in replacing cracked screens for iDevices for folks. I know next to nothing about iOS or any Apple anything but am learning new stuff everyday and loving it. Go Apple! A customer brings me his iPad 2 WiFi/GSM after a botched DIY screen replacement. The volume/power ribbon was torn as was the WiFi antenna. The pins on the dock connector ribbon are smashed with a few missing. I replaced all the above items as well as a new digitizer but before applying the adhesive I'd like to ensure everything works OK. When I power it up the connect to iTunes image is displayed, so I did, on my PC. This was the first time I've ever attempted a restore on anything so it is all new territory for me. To sum up, I've now had this iPad in my possession for a couple months, the customer is extremely patient. I've had numerous error codes during my repeated restore attempts on all the available computers in my home and at my friends, I've learned how to disable security software, everyone I know now has the latest version of iTunes and the last few attempts have given me error -1. I feel this is progress as at least it's the same error over and over and not a different one every time. So a couple days ago my new (refurb) MacBook Pro arrived Yay! I found this forum yesterday and read all eight pages of this thread then joined today. I have followed the tutorial and everything seemed to be progressing but for over 45 minutes the progress bar on the iPad has not progressed, it is stuck at approx two thirds complete and iTunes has been at the Restoring iPad firmware screen. Then finally the -1 error message popped same as during previous restore attempts but this is the first time I've restored from DFU, on a nice, fresh, up to date, working perfectly, Apple Computer and I am curious as to what 'service' the device needs to get past this. The Apple support pages I've read all say after eliminating security, USB, latest versions etc issues then the device may need service but nowhere does anyone expand on that statement. Since first receiving this device I have repaired dozens of cracked screens, replaced several dock connectors, power ribbons, wifi antennas, GSM antennas, pounded out dents, replaced volume buttons and feel very comfortable with the components that make up an iPad 2. Software is still somewhat baffling to me but if its a hardware issue that is preventing me from completing this restore I sure would like to know what it is. Can you help me?

aoadebayo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Done! iTunes should now restore your firmware file on your iPad without any errors.

If you run into problems make sure you followed all the steps correctly and also check you are not connecting via a USB Hub. Always connect directly to your PC. Try a different USB port and if possible a different cable, particularly if you are not using the original cable that came with your iPad. Yes, not all cables are the same, even official ones, and iPhone cables can cause problems sometimes!
If it still fails after this, post details of the error message and we'll see if we can help.

Any comments or suggestions on how to make the process even more failsafe are welcome :)

Thank you for the opportunity to resolve my problem but I think I have tried all the advice given in the forum without any success. I keep getting error 37 and I have removed the antivirus completely (MS Security Essential) and also turned the firewall off. I am using Windows 7 on hp Compaq 6720s laptop.

What else can I do to restore my Ipad1?

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I would suggest you try a completely different computer if Error 37 persists and you are sure you have disabled all anti-virus / malware / firewall and other security software on the PC.

If the problem still occurs on another PC, this can be a good sign that there is a hardware fault. We had some discussion on this previously here - http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/69062-error-37-help.html

You can always make an appointment at any Apple Store and they will restore it there for you. If they cannot do it, they you will know for sure it is a hardware fault.

Good luck.

tx00824

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What, if I have IOS5.1.1 and I want to restore it to 5.1.1 is this still possible or I will get the same error someone mentioned?

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
What, if I have IOS5.1.1 and I want to restore it to 5.1.1 is this still possible or I will get the same error someone mentioned?

That is only possible on the iPad1 at the moment.
iPad2 and iPad3 owners who have saved SHSH Blobs need to wait until the next version of redsn0w is released, which will have re-restore capabilities. We do not have an ETA for this. If you don't have saved 5.1.1 blobs, then there is not option but to restore to the latest IOS, which is 6.0.

tx00824

iPF Noob
Reaction score
f4780y said:
That is only possible on the iPad1 at the moment.
iPad2 and iPad3 owners who have saved SHSH Blobs need to wait until the next version of redsn0w is released, which will have re-restore capabilities. We do not have an ETA for this. If you don't have saved 5.1.1 blobs, then there is not option but to restore to the latest IOS, which is 6.0.

Sorry for a noob question but what are this blobs? I just have Ipsw restore file downloaded from apple while ago. Also what does redsn0w release?

Most reactions

Latest posts