What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TUTORIAL - Restore your iPad using TinyUmbrella and SHSH Blobs

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
emanskie1 said:
oh the thing is, my device was jailbreaked using absinthewhateverthatis and its current version is 5.0.1. is it possible to downgrade/upgrade w/o using TU?

again thanks for the quick reply. (this community is awesome :D)

*edit: and yes, i dont want to jailbreak my ipad anymore :(

You can only restore to 5.1 and yes, you will lose your jailbreak. Despite being currently jailbroken you don't have to do anything specifal to restore. Just connect to iTunes (ensure it is the latest version) and press restore.

You should not run into problems, but if you do, follow this guide - http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...lsafe-method-restore-current-version-ios.html

drsas

iPF Noob
Reaction score
do this work for downgrading ipad 1 from 5.1 to 5.0.1 or not. excellent tutorial thanks

dirtytuga

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@f4780y and others:
I have my ipad 2 WIFI with IOS 5.0.1 and it is jailbroken.
I wanted to upgrade to 5.1.1. Itunes tels me 5.0.1 is the actual software for my ipad.
Itunes gime an error (oxE8000013) when I try to restore to 5.1.1 from ipsw file from my computer.
Tried TU but I get also an error.
Is it impossible to update the software of my ipad 2 WIFI? Am I stucked on IOS 5.0.1?
Thank you

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
When you plug your iPad into iTunes, are you then just pressing the Restore button on the Summary page in iTunes? This works for most people as iTunes will "take over" and, with a few inputs from you, updates your iPad to the latest version of iOS, which is 5.1.1.

If that method doesn't work for you, then have a look at this tutorial: http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...lsafe-method-restore-current-version-ios.html

If you follow the steps exactly as written, you should end up with an iPad on iOS 5.1.1, ready for another jailbreak if you wish.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Marilyn

kohlerbkqn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do we need to connect to the Internet during restoring/downgrade iOS by using this tutorial? Thanks.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'll start by assuming you have the theme loaded (from Cydia) on your phone.

Yes, because iTunes needs to "talk" to the Apple servers. The only way it can do so is online.

Marilyn

t8manpizza

iPF Noob
Reaction score
so, i did the restore to factory settings (on ipad 2) before i found this post and now its stuck in the loading screen that happens before the apple symbol and the loading bar come up. how do i get out of this state, or is that in the guide (i havent fully read or tried it yet) Plz help!

bob247

iPF Noob
Reaction score
HI i have done everything the tutorial said and im still getting 1600 only one box is ticked any further help would be greatly appreciated

bob247

iPF Noob
Reaction score
HI i have done everything the tutorial said and im still getting 1600 only one box is ticked any further help would be greatly appreciated i have an ipad to currently running on version 5.0.1 im trying to do a firmware update to 5.1.1

xitumlum

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To f4780y & all: do this work to restore from jailbroken 5.1.1 to 4.x?

I want to unjailbreak my Ipad2 wifi from 5.1.1 and keep staying in 5.1.1. And after researching from other posts for a while, my understanding it is not possible currently and waiting for update from redsn0w to do it. At least, it is not possible to do it directly.
So I'm thinking of restoring first to and older IOS, such as 4.x which this guide seems to say OK to do that. Please help to confirm my question before I start to do something stupid.

I checked that I have old blobs of 4.x and 5.x saved.

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, as long as your device is an iPad2 wifi only, you can use your saved Blobs and TinyUmbrella to restore the appropriate 4.x firmware on your device.

However, 4.x is getting very old now. More and more apps and tweaks will be incompatible, so you go that far back at your own risk! ;)

Just to be clear, you can't use this as a stepping stone to get back to 5.x immediately, which may be what you are hinting at above. You will still need to wait for the new version of redsn0w, and you take a risk in downgrading not as we don't know exactly what the features will be.

xitumlum

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for response, f4780y!
Yes, I intend to go back to 4.x just a step to get back to 5.1.1 immediately. As you said, it's not possible. Bad news!
So another way to unjailbreak 5.1.1 is just uninstall Rocky Racoon and reboot. Will it work?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for response, f4780y!
Yes, I intend to go back to 4.x just a step to get back to 5.1.1 immediately. As you said, it's not possible. Bad news!
So another way to unjailbreak 5.1.1 is just uninstall Rocky Racoon and reboot. Will it work?

No. If you uninstall Rocky Raccoon, you are not unjailbreaking. You are simply removing necessary software that makes the jail break (and thus the iPad) work).

Trust me - I did this once. Ended up having to do a restore because the iPad wouldn't work.

Sorry, but you are either going to have to wait at iOS 5.1.1 for the re-restore tools (and work with any problems) or upgrade to iOS 6 if you can't (or don't have the patience). There are no tricks or workarounds for this process.

Marilyn

tt123

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@f480y and all:

Hello, I followed the tutorial but I have the error 11 when I want to restore my i-pad via iTunes.
I'm out of idea on how to restore and my I-pad constantly appear "connect to iTunes" page (my i-pad started like this when I reboot my I-pad after change Mac address using mobile terminal". I still can switch on and off and I cant access the stuffs inside my I-pad.
I'm using the new I-pad and I would like to restore to iPad3,1_5.1.1_9B206_Restore. I'm using wifi model only.
The TU is the latest version which is compactible with ios 6.

Anyone, pls. Need help.

Most reactions

Latest posts