What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TUTORIAL - Jailbreak iPad1 with sn0wbreeze

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Error 1600 indicates you are possibly not using the sn0wbreeze tool to put your iPad into pwnd DFU mode before you install the custom firmware. You MUST use the iREB tool in sn0wbreeze. You can't just put the iPad into DFU mode yourself. Can you confirm that at the end, sn0wbreeze tells you it was successful and you should now restore in iTunes? Only if the tool tells you you are in pwnd DFU mode should you proceed.

Pwincess cumi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
before i tried this, i already jailbroken 4.2.1 and i want to upgrade to 4.3.3, after step 9, i want to open cydia and didnt find in my ipad, how to solve this problem ? i'm so panic :( thank you

cancel, already find :)

Last edited:

andrewhtf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Finally, sn0wbreeze relies on having a full copy of the IOS firmware IPSW file to create its custom firmware file. You need to download the correct firmware file, matching the current version on your iPad. Check out our Hacking Section Sticky - Official Apple IOS Firmware Download Links for iPad.

f4780y,

i'm a lil' bit confused here. my pad currently is on 4.2.1 and i wanted to update to 4.3.3. with the steps listed.

do you mean that i need to download the official 4.2.1 OR the official 4.3.3 firmware?

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry if it was unclear. You need to download 4.3.3 if that's the version you want jailbroken. I will update the text accordingly.

Sk1zb1t

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Error 1600 indicates you are possibly not using the sn0wbreeze tool to put your iPad into pwnd DFU mode before you install the custom firmware. You MUST use the iREB tool in sn0wbreeze. You can't just put the iPad into DFU mode yourself. Can you confirm that at the end, sn0wbreeze tells you it was successful and you should now restore in iTunes? Only if the tool tells you you are in pwnd DFU mode should you proceed.

okay this is happening to me right now, i'm in dfu mode but did it myself cos sn0wbreeze didn't let me click 'start' to enter pwnd dfu mode...what can i do from here? when i open up sn0wbreeze again and click iREB it asks me if i want to do it for apple tv 2 :S

scrap this...all i had to do was click no, not yes haha oh my..apologies!!

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sk1zb1t said:
okay this is happening to me right now, i'm in dfu mode but did it myself cos sn0wbreeze didn't let me click 'start' to enter pwnd dfu mode...what can i do from here? when i open up sn0wbreeze again and click iREB it asks me if i want to do it for apple tv 2 :S

scrap this...all i had to do was click no, not yes haha oh my..apologies!!

That's a good point though. SOMETIMES, sn0wbreeze does not let you push the start button when you are trying to go into DFU mode. This just seems to be a bug in the program.

In this case, exit sn0wbreeze, restart it, but then SKIP to the same point in the process by simply choosing "iReb" in the menu at the top of the tool..., and when it asks you if you are trying to Jailbreak an AppleTV, say "No". Then you should be back where you were and able to press the "Start" button.

Thanks for the reminder. I'd come across this a couple of time and forgot to come back here and update the post.

rurik0

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Help! I followed everything until when I tried to restore from iTunes and I get this:

The iPad "iPad" could not be restored at this time because the iPad update server could not be contacted or is temporarily unavailable.

I am upgrading from 3.2.2 to 4.3.3. I can't even turn on my iPad now and its stuck in recovery mode....

Pls help T_____T

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Help! I followed everything until when I tried to restore from iTunes and I get this:

The iPad "iPad" could not be restored at this time because the iPad update server could not be contacted or is temporarily unavailable.

I am upgrading from 3.2.2 to 4.3.3. I can't even turn on my iPad now and its stuck in recovery mode....

Pls help T_____T

Well, either the server is not available in which case you should try again. This does happen sometimes, but ususally only briefly.

Otherwise, it is likely you are not pointing at Apple Servers. Did you use TinyUmbrella to save your Blobs, or did you change your hosts file to point gs.apple.com to Cydia? If you think you may have, you should follow the instructions in this posts and it will resolve this problem for you (I know you don't have this exact error but the resolution is the same).

http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...-how-resolve-itunes-unknown-error-3194-a.html

Then return to the tutorial and restore the firmware. Use the iREB tool in sn0wbreeze to get back to pwnd DFU state and then restore as normal...

Hope that helps.

eythor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
"If the restore hangs in one place for more than 5-10 minutes there has likely been a problem."

I got this problem.
What should I do?

edit:

i take out the usb cable and didnt make a jailbreak(4.3.1) over a jailbreak (4.3.3)
it worked

Last edited:

Benjen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am unable to use sn0wbreeze to jailbreak my iPad. I have tried every combination of techniques and nothing seems to work.

The first time I tried using sn0wbreeze I got as far as the point where the restore process with iTunes has started, and the screen on the iPad shows the sn0wbreeze logo and a progress bar. At this point the upgrade failed. Can't remember itune error code at the time.

Now my iPad is in the standard recovery mode (screen displays the iTunes icon and USB cable).

I have subsequently tried the following steps to no avail:
- disabled antivirus real time monitoring
- disabled firewall
- set sn0wbreeze to work in Win XP sp2 mode with admin privileges
- Used the iREB function of sn0wbreeze to put the iPad in DFU Mode. Software reports that iPad is now in DFU mode.
- start iTunes, which detects iPad and prompts me to restore it.
- I select the sn0wbreezed 5.0.1 firmware and continue.
- after some USB connecting and disconnecting sounds by Windows, the iPad launches into a screen showing the sn0wbreeze logo and a progress bar.
- After some time and no visual progress in the progress bar, the iPad resets itself into the regular restore mode (screen shows iTunes logo and USB cable) and iTunes returns an type 21 error message.

I am now completely stuck as to what to do. I have also tried restoring the standard iOS 5.0.1 firmware from Apple, but this also doesn't work. In this case a similar thing happens. Ipad shows Apple logo and progress bar. After a while of no progress the iPad restarts into standard update mode and iTunes returns an error.

I have tried switching USB ports on computer but no luck either.

Another point is that when the iPad is detected by iTunes as being in recovery mode, it lists the iPad as having the following properties (Name: iPad; Capacity: n/a; Software version: n/a; Serial number: n/a).

Would really appreciate any suggestions.

iTunes: 10.5.1.42
sn0wbreeze: 2.8b11
ipad: 64 GB, 3G first generation iPad
iOS: 5.0.1

Last edited:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
From this sticky (http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/24377-jailbreaking-methods-ipad.html), it appears that sn0breeze cannot/does not jail break the iPad1 on iOS 5.0.1.

Have no fear, however, as redsn0w does. See this sticky for how you can jail break your iPad1 on iOS 5.0.1: http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...lbreak-ipad1-ios5-tethered-using-redsn0w.html

You will also need to download iOS 5.0, which you can get from here: http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/24939-official-apple-ios-firmware-download-links-ipad.html. You need that IPSW version because you have to initially point the redsn0w software at that version to have it work. It'll still be running on iOS 5.0.1 after the jail break, but redsn0w isn't updated [yet] to jail break 5.0.1. This is a workaround that I can attest works just fine.

Don't forget the all-important step of re-booting the iPad afterwards (and every time it loses power, whether a shut down or a reboot)...

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Marilyn

Most reactions