What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TUTORIAL - Failsafe method to restore the current version of IOS

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I tried this tutorial step by step and it didn't work for me either.

Any other ideas?

Thanks

You could help by telling is HOW it failed. iTunes ALWAYS gives an error code and message when it fails to restore. We can't troubleshoot unless you tell us what it is, but the tutorial is failsafe and should work 100% of the time unless there is a hardware fault or an issue with your PC.

Tell us what the exact error message is and confirm which device, model, and firmware you are trying to restore.

frontbum

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You could help by telling is HOW it failed. iTunes ALWAYS gives an error code and message when it fails to restore. We can't troubleshoot unless you tell us what it is, but the tutorial is failsafe and should work 100% of the time unless there is a hardware fault or an issue with your PC.

Tell us what the exact error message is and confirm which device, model, and firmware you are trying to restore.

Thanks for the reply.

Ok the problem is the screen is black on the ipad itself and can't see any of my apps or anything on it. But when i plug it into the PC and connect to itunes it recognises the device. The ipad is still on and full of charge because i can see the backlight still on. I've tried following the tutorial step by step numerous times but it hasn't rectified the problem. The ipad itself is a 1st Gen. and the software on it is 5.1.1 As far as the error code goes i don't get one. When i hold the both buttons together all i get is a split second flash of the apple logo.

I hope this info is enough for someone to maybe have an idea what the problem is that i'm having.

Cheers

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

Ok the problem is the screen is black on the ipad itself and can't see any of my apps or anything on it. But when i plug it into the PC and connect to itunes it recognises the device. The ipad is still on and full of charge because i can see the backlight still on. I've tried following the tutorial step by step numerous times but it hasn't rectified the problem. The ipad itself is a 1st Gen. and the software on it is 5.1.1 As far as the error code goes i don't get one. When i hold the both buttons together all i get is a split second flash of the apple logo.

I hope this info is enough for someone to maybe have an idea what the problem is that i'm having.

Cheers

OK, so if you connect it to iTunes and it recognises it, what happens when you press the "restore" button in iTunes?

frontbum

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK, so if you connect it to iTunes and it recognises it, what happens when you press the "restore" button in iTunes?

When i connect it to the PC iTunes will come up and it recognises the device. When i press the 2 buttons as explained a dialogue box will come up with a message "Your iPad is in Restore mode" I've been through the restore mode as explained a few times but i still end up with a black screen. The software i downloaded version 5.1.1 is named like this "iPad1,1_5.1.1_9B206_Restore" when i click on properties the details are iPad1,1_5.1.1_9B206_Restore.ipsw is this file named right or should it be changed? Maybe i'm doing something wrong.

frontbum

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All i keep getting now is error 3194, nearly time to throw the white towel in i think

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
All i keep getting now is error 3194, nearly time to throw the white towel in i think

3194 means you are not following the tutorial correctly. Your hosts file is not pointing towards Apple servers and therefore iTunes cannot get valid SHSH Blobs for the restore process.

Step 2 of the tutorial will always fully resolve 3194 provided you are trying to restore version 5.1.1 of IOS onto your device.

Follow step 2 again to the letter and try again.

frontbum

iPF Noob
Reaction score
3194 means you are not following the tutorial correctly. Your hosts file is not pointing towards Apple servers and therefore iTunes cannot get valid SHSH Blobs for the restore process.

Step 2 of the tutorial will always fully resolve 3194 provided you are trying to restore version 5.1.1 of IOS onto your device.

Follow step 2 again to the letter and try again.

Thanks for the reply.

I followed step 2 again and this is what i get when i open TU

READ THIS NOW

"Request SHSH from Cydia" is currently set.
This can cause issues if you are trying to save current SHSHs as Cydia is no longer able to reliably proxy SHSH requests.
Please change your setting in the "Advanced" tab and click the "Apply Changes" button or use the "Edit" menu to apply changes.

HOST MODIFICATIONS

You currently have "Set Hosts to Cydia on Exit" set. If you are having issues restoring, you need to uncheck this box and "Apply Changes"

BE WARNED!! If you restore stock apple firmware, your baseband can and likely will be updated!

"Save all available SHSH" is checked

"When connecting a device, prefer my custom device name over the name set on the device" is checked

So i made sure both those options weren't checked and closed TU.

I still get error 3194, obviously i'm doing something wrong but can't work out what lol.

Last edited:
OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You pressed the Apply button like the message says?

frontbum

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Unless i'm going blind i can't see an Apply button. I just reopened TU and the settings have been saved from previously so both "Set Hosts to Cydia on Exit" and "Request SHSH from Cydia" are unchecked.

This is the name of the firmware iPad1,1_5.1.1_9B206_Restore.ipsw does that sound right or should i rename it perhaps?

Last edited:

frontbum

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just to show you the settings and no Apply button.

TU.jpg

verynoobie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello this is my first post. :)

I'm confused about the hardware dfu mode and redsnow enter_dfu ipsw. Thing is I have a working home button but I'm not confident of getting the dfu timings right, tried a couple of times didnt work. So, can I create the dfu ipsw with redsnow instead and restore in itunes? Doesnt redsnow put the device in dfu AFTER the restore but your tut says to put it into dfu mode before starting the restore. I have a jb ipad 2 on 5.1.1. Thanks.

Edit: Duh, I read the dfu mode for dummies again and it seems I have to start the restore with the regular ipsw after the initial steps fail and the ipad is in dfu mode. Is that right?

Last edited:

frontbum

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well i finally got mine going but it wasn't the tutorial that fixed it :D

CeeBee11

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey I just jailbroke my iPhone 4s and I made a theme on CodeThemed.com and transfered it to my device it said the transfer was complete and open theme up in winter board but it not showing up there... Can someone please help me out!

wynnandrewj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello,

Thanks for putting together such a useful thread, however, after following all of the instructions I'm still unable to restore my jailbroken "new" iPad. The iPad was running 5.1.1 and was jailbroken. It started acting funny and I don't really use the JB features so I wanted to restore to stock. Despite following the instructions on this post I still get error 1600/1601 every time I try to restore. Also, the device is totally stuck in DFU mode. I can't get it out no matter what I try and thus it is only recognized in DFU mode by Tiny Umbrella, Win 7, and iTunes.

Does anybody have any clues as to what I should do moving forward? Any help at all is appreciated and let me know what info to provide if you need more.

Thanks in Advance,

Andrew

Most reactions