What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TUTORIAL - Failsafe method to restore the current version of IOS

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi ,I have tried all of the methods here to reprog my ipad 1 both with itunes latest ver and all i get when using the default itunes reprogram is that the ipad 1 begins to load but stops at 10 percent and just sits there with no error given ?

The Ipad 1 was ok & jailbroken in 2010 with the linkeldn jailbreaker , and I wished to reset it to normal ! .

When i use the shift method to select any of the ipsx files i get a 3194 error & then itunes hangs ?

When i use the jailbreak prog red0 the jailbreak seems to work but after reboot all i get is the pineapple just hanging on the screen and after a hard reset the ipad goes into itunes icon mode.

Also I have tried to use my old backed up 3221xx ipsx IPAD1 files with the red0 jailbreak prog but this prog says that this filetype is not supported & sees these files as IPHONE files although they are clearly shown as ipad files ?

I have disabled all antivirus and antispyware & I dont yet see any other disruptive progs or processes in task manager ?

Is there any other brute force eeprom /flash progs that i can use to reprog/flash my Ipad1 , & any other suggestions please help! :mad:

First off, please don't post the same message in multiple places. It's against our rules. I will delete your other thread.

Second, if you are back on 3.2.2, you probably need to get up to the latest version which is 5.1.1. You will be in for a world of pain trying to live with such an outdated version of IOS now.

You should follow ALL the instructions in the first post here exactly as they are written. This is a failsafe method, and unless your iPad has damaged hardware, it will work (the fact you are getting a 3194 error tells me you are not following the guide).
Once you are back on version 5.1.1 you can use Absinthe to re-jailbreak if necessary.
I would not recommend trying to use a back up from your 3.2.2 device. It is far too old now and too muck will have changed between 3.2 and 5.1 for that backup to be reliable. You will need to set the device up as a new device and sync your files, apps, media, etc. back from iTunes manually.

Hope that helps.

RoxyPup1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hope you can help. My son has an ipad 2 wifi, JB with Absinthe 1. When he tried to update iOS to 5.1.1 it bricked showing error 21. We shut for all protection but got same error. Apple support was unsuccessful when they tried to help. They offered to replace it but sent it back claiming it had physical and water damage. There was a slight dent where the usb cord plugs in though this dent didn't prevent previous updates. I've tried everything in this thread including trying TU but the lines noted were grayed out. I modified host manually. D/L'd 5.1.1 file from your link. Put it in DFU mode. and get a 1602 error. I tried everything several times. Please help before I get locked up for throwing this BRICK through an Apple store window.
Thank you.

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
16xx and 21 errors are normally the fault of software running on your PC which are interfering with the restore. Ensure EVERYTHING which is not essential on the PC is ended. Especially anti-virus etc. They tend to interrupt the process and cause these errors.
If you can, use another PC. As a last resort you can take it to an Apple store and they will restore it for you in the shop, but don't mention it was jailbroken.

For info, you don't need to shut an iPad down "for protection". It is actually impossible to brick an iPad unless it has developed a hardware fault. But, if they are saying that the water sensors are tripped then that could be the case. You may not know it, but maybe someone spit something on it and covered up the evidence??? Stranger things have happened. If you don't deal with liquid spills properly (silica gel, rice, etc.) then the evaporated liquid can corrode the dock or other components over a period of time.

RoxyPup1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
16xx and 21 errors are normally the fault of software running on your PC which are interfering with the restore. Ensure EVERYTHING which is not essential on the PC is ended. Especially anti-virus etc. They tend to interrupt the process and cause these errors.
If you can, use another PC. As a last resort you can take it to an Apple store and they will restore it for you in the shop, but don't mention it was jailbroken.

For info, you don't need to shut an iPad down "for protection". It is actually impossible to brick an iPad unless it has developed a hardware fault. But, if they are saying that the water sensors are tripped then that could be the case. You may not know it, but maybe someone spit something on it and covered up the evidence??? Stranger things have happened. If you don't deal with liquid spills properly (silica gel, rice, etc.) then the evaporated liquid can corrode the dock or other components over a period of time.

We shut down everything running except the basics but still got the same errors. As far as liquid damage is concerned, that did not happen. I have read complaints of Apple and other manufacturers falsely claiming liquid damage because the device, usually a phone, had been out in the cold and moved indoors or inside ones shirt pocket under their jacket. Condensation forms on the sensor because it's so close to the environment, not deeper inside where a good dunking would get to it. These "sensors" are just a chemical that changes color when exposed to liquid. Never the less, this iPad was working until updating to 5.1.1. Previous updates never failed nor did any syncing or recovery. It bricked during the update on my son's PC which is wifi so we used my wired PC.

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
RoxyPup1 said:
We shut down everything running except the basics but still got the same errors. As far as liquid damage is concerned, that did not happen. I have read complaints of Apple and other manufacturers falsely claiming liquid damage because the device, usually a phone, had been out in the cold and moved indoors or inside ones shirt pocket under their jacket. Condensation forms on the sensor because it's so close to the environment, not deeper inside where a good dunking would get to it. These "sensors" are just a chemical that changes color when exposed to liquid. Never the less, this iPad was working until updating to 5.1.1. Previous updates never failed nor did any syncing or recovery. It bricked during the update on my son's PC which is wifi so we used my wired PC.

Best of luck then. As I told you, a software update cannot brick an iPad. Only a hardware fault can.
Apple will restore the device for you in store. If they can't do it in store then you can be pretty sure it's hardware related.

Last edited:

xmetienne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I believe it's working... I'm on it right now and it seems that removing the apple servers addresses from the host file did the trick!!! Thank you so much...

kohlerbkqn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
NOTE: - You should only try this guide if you are getting errors when trying to restore IOS on your device. If you haven't tried yet, simply connect your device to iTunes and press "restore". 99% of the time this will succeed! Even for a jailbroken iPad! Go on, give it a go first!

In this case, how about if we have the current iOS version on PC already? Can we just go to iTunes then select Shift + Restore, then navigate to the iOS file for restoring? That means we pass by the iOS downloading from Apple server?

Thanks,

Kohler

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
In this case, how about if we have the current iOS version on PC already? Can we just go to iTunes then select Shift + Restore, then navigate to the iOS file for restoring? That means we pass by the iOS downloading from Apple server?

Thanks,

Kohler

Yes, that's a way to do it. In fact, it's probably faster than having iTunes download the IPSW file. I should imagine Apple's servers get hammered a bit more than ours. :) At least, people have said it was a faster process to use our download links. And, if you've already got it, then you've just cut out a lot of restore time...

Marilyn

ThePeacekeeper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gonna reset my iPad. Can no longer Download apps or update apps. In the case that I need help I will update this reply and inform everyone of the error message received. In the interim, wish me luck ^.^

therealriley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ThePeacekeeper said:
Gonna reset my iPad. Can no longer Download apps or update apps. In the case that I need help I will update this reply and inform everyone of the error message received. In the interim, wish me luck ^.^

Before you do that search this forum for the answer I've posted elsewhere along with other peoples fixes, you can try a couple of things but in the end the one that worked for me was deleting a few apps, then downloading them again fully updated. Do it one by one but not an app you have saved docs in, like a word app etc because you will lose them documents. This will kickstart the update process. It's most likely one app that's causing that. Have you tried to download the updates individually? Worth a go.

noorahmad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Doesn't work for me

Seeing your post, my heart lit up with hope of restoring my iPad 3.2.2 16gb to ios 5.0, but it didn't help.
I resorted to all of ur said methods i.e.
Latest iTunes 10.6.3
Diabled Antivirus
Disabled Firewall
Installed TU, unchecked that Cydia server option (whatever u said there)
Manually used ipsw file
But iTunes show error 11 or error 3194 everytime.
Plz help me...... I have by now tried more than fifty times to restore this iPad.:(

reahn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Seeing your post, my heart lit up with hope of restoring my iPad 3.2.2 16gb to ios 5.0, but it didn't help.
Latest iTunes 10.6.3
Diabled Antivirus
Disabled Firewall
Manually used ipsw file
Plz help me...... I have by now tried more than fifty times to restore this iPad.:(

Why 5.0? Why not 5.1.1?

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Latest iTunes 10.6.3
Diabled Antivirus
Disabled Firewall
Manually used ipsw file

A restore to 5.0 will never work. Read the tutorial again. It MUST be 5.1.1 to work today.

frontbum

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I tried this tutorial step by step and it didn't work for me either.

Any other ideas?

Thanks

Most reactions

Latest posts