TUTORIAL - Failsafe method to restore the current version of IOS

Discussion in 'Jailbreaking & Hacking Tutorials & How-To Guides' started by f4780y, Nov 7, 2011.

1. f4780y

f4780y Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +635 / 0
    First off, please don't post the same message in multiple places. It's against our rules. I will delete your other thread.

Second, if you are back on 3.2.2, you probably need to get up to the latest version which is 5.1.1. You will be in for a world of pain trying to live with such an outdated version of IOS now.

You should follow ALL the instructions in the first post here exactly as they are written. This is a failsafe method, and unless your iPad has damaged hardware, it will work (the fact you are getting a 3194 error tells me you are not following the guide).
    Once you are back on version 5.1.1 you can use Absinthe to re-jailbreak if necessary.
    I would not recommend trying to use a back up from your 3.2.2 device. It is far too old now and too muck will have changed between 3.2 and 5.1 for that backup to be reliable. You will need to set the device up as a new device and sync your files, apps, media, etc. back from iTunes manually.

Hope that helps.
  2. RoxyPup1

RoxyPup1 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hope you can help. My son has an ipad 2 wifi, JB with Absinthe 1. When he tried to update iOS to 5.1.1 it bricked showing error 21. We shut for all protection but got same error. Apple support was unsuccessful when they tried to help. They offered to replace it but sent it back claiming it had physical and water damage. There was a slight dent where the usb cord plugs in though this dent didn't prevent previous updates. I've tried everything in this thread including trying TU but the lines noted were grayed out. I modified host manually. D/L'd 5.1.1 file from your link. Put it in DFU mode. and get a 1602 error. I tried everything several times. Please help before I get locked up for throwing this BRICK through an Apple store window.
    Thank you.
  3. f4780y

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +635 / 0
    16xx and 21 errors are normally the fault of software running on your PC which are interfering with the restore. Ensure EVERYTHING which is not essential on the PC is ended. Especially anti-virus etc. They tend to interrupt the process and cause these errors.
    If you can, use another PC. As a last resort you can take it to an Apple store and they will restore it for you in the shop, but don't mention it was jailbroken.

For info, you don't need to shut an iPad down "for protection". It is actually impossible to brick an iPad unless it has developed a hardware fault. But, if they are saying that the water sensors are tripped then that could be the case. You may not know it, but maybe someone spit something on it and covered up the evidence??? Stranger things have happened. If you don't deal with liquid spills properly (silica gel, rice, etc.) then the evaporated liquid can corrode the dock or other components over a period of time.
  4. RoxyPup1

RoxyPup1 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We shut down everything running except the basics but still got the same errors. As far as liquid damage is concerned, that did not happen. I have read complaints of Apple and other manufacturers falsely claiming liquid damage because the device, usually a phone, had been out in the cold and moved indoors or inside ones shirt pocket under their jacket. Condensation forms on the sensor because it's so close to the environment, not deeper inside where a good dunking would get to it. These "sensors" are just a chemical that changes color when exposed to liquid. Never the less, this iPad was working until updating to 5.1.1. Previous updates never failed nor did any syncing or recovery. It bricked during the update on my son's PC which is wifi so we used my wired PC.
  5. f4780y

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +635 / 0
    Best of luck then. As I told you, a software update cannot brick an iPad. Only a hardware fault can.
    Apple will restore the device for you in store. If they can't do it in store then you can be pretty sure it's hardware related.
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2012
  6. xmetienne

xmetienne iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I believe it's working... I'm on it right now and it seems that removing the apple servers addresses from the host file did the trick!!! Thank you so much...
  7. kohlerbkqn

kohlerbkqn iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    In this case, how about if we have the current iOS version on PC already? Can we just go to iTunes then select Shift + Restore, then navigate to the iOS file for restoring? That means we pass by the iOS downloading from Apple server?

Thanks,

Kohler
  8. Mickey330

Mickey330 Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,867 / 0
    Yes, that's a way to do it. In fact, it's probably faster than having iTunes download the IPSW file. I should imagine Apple's servers get hammered a bit more than ours. :) At least, people have said it was a faster process to use our download links. And, if you've already got it, then you've just cut out a lot of restore time...

Marilyn
    • Like Like x 1
  9. ThePeacekeeper

ThePeacekeeper iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Gonna reset my iPad. Can no longer Download apps or update apps. In the case that I need help I will update this reply and inform everyone of the error message received. In the interim, wish me luck ^.^
  10. therealriley

therealriley iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21 / 0
    Before you do that search this forum for the answer I've posted elsewhere along with other peoples fixes, you can try a couple of things but in the end the one that worked for me was deleting a few apps, then downloading them again fully updated. Do it one by one but not an app you have saved docs in, like a word app etc because you will lose them documents. This will kickstart the update process. It's most likely one app that's causing that. Have you tried to download the updates individually? Worth a go.
  11. pitersen

pitersen iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    awesome. It is useful for everyone. I get good result.
  12. noorahmad

noorahmad iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Doesn't work for me

Seeing your post, my heart lit up with hope of restoring my iPad 3.2.2 16gb to ios 5.0, but it didn't help.
    I resorted to all of ur said methods i.e.
    Latest iTunes 10.6.3
    Diabled Antivirus
    Disabled Firewall
    Installed TU, unchecked that Cydia server option (whatever u said there)
    Manually used ipsw file
    But iTunes show error 11 or error 3194 everytime.
    Plz help me...... I have by now tried more than fifty times to restore this iPad.:(
  13. reahn

reahn iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Why 5.0? Why not 5.1.1?
  14. f4780y

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +635 / 0
    A restore to 5.0 will never work. Read the tutorial again. It MUST be 5.1.1 to work today.
  15. frontbum

frontbum iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I tried this tutorial step by step and it didn't work for me either.

Any other ideas?

Thanks
  16. f4780y

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +635 / 0
    You could help by telling is HOW it failed. iTunes ALWAYS gives an error code and message when it fails to restore. We can't troubleshoot unless you tell us what it is, but the tutorial is failsafe and should work 100% of the time unless there is a hardware fault or an issue with your PC.

Tell us what the exact error message is and confirm which device, model, and firmware you are trying to restore.
  17. frontbum

frontbum iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for the reply.

Ok the problem is the screen is black on the ipad itself and can't see any of my apps or anything on it. But when i plug it into the PC and connect to itunes it recognises the device. The ipad is still on and full of charge because i can see the backlight still on. I've tried following the tutorial step by step numerous times but it hasn't rectified the problem. The ipad itself is a 1st Gen. and the software on it is 5.1.1 As far as the error code goes i don't get one. When i hold the both buttons together all i get is a split second flash of the apple logo.

I hope this info is enough for someone to maybe have an idea what the problem is that i'm having.

Cheers
  18. f4780y

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +635 / 0
    OK, so if you connect it to iTunes and it recognises it, what happens when you press the "restore" button in iTunes?
  19. frontbum

frontbum iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    When i connect it to the PC iTunes will come up and it recognises the device. When i press the 2 buttons as explained a dialogue box will come up with a message "Your iPad is in Restore mode" I've been through the restore mode as explained a few times but i still end up with a black screen. The software i downloaded version 5.1.1 is named like this "iPad1,1_5.1.1_9B206_Restore" when i click on properties the details are iPad1,1_5.1.1_9B206_Restore.ipsw is this file named right or should it be changed? Maybe i'm doing something wrong.
  20. nessiezone

nessiezone iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    This post was so helpful. You saved me from total melt down mode... lol... Thank you so much!