What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TUTORIAL - Failsafe method to restore the current version of IOS

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm getting the same failed the 3194 error. Why is that happening? or to fix?
thanks!

3194 means you have not corrected your HOSTS file so that it is pointing at Apple using Step 2, OR you are trying to restore a version of IOS which is not current, i.e it should be 5.1.1 today.

Double check step 2 again.

muelgrub

iPF Noob
Reaction score
3194 means you have not corrected your HOSTS file so that it is pointing at Apple using Step 2, OR you are trying to restore a version of IOS which is not current, i.e it should be 5.1.1 today.

Double check step 2 again.

My iPad2 is jailbroken running 5.0, I'm trying to back up, then update to 5.1., then JB again. I followed the steps in the DFU tutorial, and that's when i got that message!

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My iPad2 is jailbroken running 5.0, I'm trying to back up, then update to 5.1., then JB again. I followed the steps in the DFU tutorial, and that's when i got that message!

If you are actually trying to restore to iOS 5.1 - and not iOS 5.1.1 - that is the problem right there. iOS 5.1 is not a current iOS and is no longer authorized by Apple. You need to download and use the most current iOS.

Marilyn

muelgrub

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you are actually trying to restore to iOS 5.1 - and not iOS 5.1.1 - that is the problem right there. iOS 5.1 is not a current iOS and is no longer authorized by Apple. You need to download and use the most current iOS.

Marilyn
It's quite possiple that I don't know what I'm doing. I want to update my JB iPad from 5.0 to 5.1.1, then JB and restore my old stuff. I followed the tips about putting it into the DFU mode and doing a shift/restore etc.
For some reason when I did the shift restore I had a problem pointing to the 5.1.1, so I had to try to update to 5.1. I think that's why I tried to use 5.1 and not 5.1.1.
Then when I pointed to 5.1 that's when i got the error.
Could I just make a regular back up, then just update, the re JB?

zphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You cannot update to anything less than 5.1.1 currently. You need to download 5.1.1
That is why you get the error.

muelgrub

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So, all I need to do is backup in iTunes after a "transfer purchases," then put it in DFU mode, do a shift/restore and point it to the new 5.1.1 file, let it install the new iOS; JB then "restore from backup?"
and that shoud do it?

followthesapper

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So, all I need to do is backup in iTunes after a "transfer purchases," then put it in DFU mode, do a shift/restore and point it to the new 5.1.1 file, let it install the new iOS; JB then "restore from backup?"
and that shoud do it?

That worked fine for me ;)

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you mean, failed to install from iTunes - got no idea. I have one app that I've had for over a year and, every time I have to restore from a backup (and I've done this a few times!), that app will NOT install. iTunes tells me that it didn't every time. So, I go find it in the App Store and re-download. it's there, in the store, but don't know why iTunes can't "hook" to it. I just deal with it...

If that's not what you meant, sorry for going off on a tangent - and, what did you mean? :)

Marilyn

muelgrub

iPF Noob
Reaction score
well, I'm probably not supposed to say this: but some of the apps were "less than legal." Is that the problem?

Semel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
muelgrub said:
well, I'm probably not supposed to say this: but some of the apps were "less than legal." Is that the problem?

Uhm..Yep

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

WOW. You are complaining that apps you stole are not re-installing? Your really MUST check all our rules before posting again. You won't get another warning.

Reminder - Rule 15
Discussion of pirated or cracked applications and any methods associated with enabling their use, such as posting app or repository names, is forbidden on this forum. This also includes discussion of illegally obtaining media such as music, movies, games, books or other copyrighted content.
Piracy is illegal and the staff of iPadForums.net neither supports or condones it in any way. Jailbreaking and hacking is not an excuse to steal or pirate software!
Discussions, links, and sharing of any piracy related topics, apps, repositories, etc., will be deleted and the member will receive a warning which may lead to a ban.
Please review all our forum rules here

muelgrub

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa;

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Last edited:

bodf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ipad1 stuck on loadup at aprox 10percent will not reprog

Hi ,I have tried all of the methods here to reprog my ipad 1 both with itunes latest ver and all i get when using the default itunes reprogram is that the ipad 1 begins to load but stops at 10 percent and just sits there with no error given ?

The Ipad 1 was ok & jailbroken in 2010 with the linkeldn jailbreaker , and I wished to reset it to normal ! .

When i use the shift method to select any of the ipsx files i get a 3194 error & then itunes hangs ?

When i use the jailbreak prog red0 the jailbreak seems to work but after reboot all i get is the pineapple just hanging on the screen and after a hard reset the ipad goes into itunes icon mode.

Also I have tried to use my old backed up 3221xx ipsx IPAD1 files with the red0 jailbreak prog but this prog says that this filetype is not supported & sees these files as IPHONE files although they are clearly shown as ipad files ?

I have disabled all antivirus and antispyware & I dont yet see any other disruptive progs or processes in task manager ?

Is there any other brute force eeprom /flash progs that i can use to reprog/flash my Ipad1 , & any other suggestions please help! :mad:

Most reactions

Latest posts