What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad2 very slow after iOS8 install!

MoneyGuy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My iPad has slowed considerably with the new iOS. I don't like it. It's also crashed a couple of times. I'm happy to have found this thread as I now know I'm not alone. Can someone tell me how to delete this OS and go back to how it was before this latest install? Yes, I've turned the device off and back on and there has been no improvement.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My iPad has slowed considerably with the new iOS. I don't like it. It's also crashed a couple of times. I'm happy to have found this thread as I now know I'm not alone. Can someone tell me how to delete this OS and go back to how it was before this latest install? Yes, I've turned the device off and back on and there has been no improvement.
Actually, resetting it (Home & Power button simultaneously until the Apple logo appears) would help more than just turning it off and on again.

The procedure to revert to iOS 7.1.2 was posted here: http://www.ipadforums.net/threads/d...back-to-ios-7-1-2-while-you-still-can.124071/

Gtatler

iPF Novice
Reaction score

See my post #47 above. Two or three resets seem to have cured all my doubts and seeming problems with
IOS 8. Do try this before trying to restore previous version.

And note that Apple are shortly to make available 8.0.1 to address several problem areas.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
Aerofly

Aerofly

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well, after not getting on at all with ios8 on my iPad 2, I've just reverted to ios7.1.2
I used iTunes to back up to my computer before updating, but now after updating back to ios7 around half of my apps are missing.
Did my PC backup just backup my data and apps?, and can I just restore from that backup to get them back?. I've never done this before, and unsure what to do next. Heeeeelp!

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've just deleted the second post you made which asked the same question. Besides fragmenting any resulting conversation, duplicate posting is against forum rules.

OP
Aerofly

Aerofly

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I've just deleted the second post you made which asked the same question. Besides fragmenting any resulting conversation, duplicate posting is against forum rules.

Sorry about that, I thought it might be seen better as a new topic. My mistake.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, after not getting on at all with ios8 on my iPad 2, I've just reverted to ios7.1.2
I used iTunes to back up to my computer before updating, but now after updating back to ios7 around half of my apps are missing.
Did my PC backup just backup my data and apps?, and can I just restore from that backup to get them back?. I've never done this before, and unsure what to do next. Heeeeelp!
Here's what iTunes backs up: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4946

The apps can be found in your Purchased tab in App Store, if restoring from a backup didn't bring them all back to your iPad.

auntymaz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Anyone else using an iPad2 noticed a distinct slowing down of virtually everything?
Yes. My iPad 2 has developed Alzheimer's. All glitch updates seem to be concentrating on iPhone 6 problems. One does wonder if Aplletree have it in for all those 'old' iPad versions...iPad Air folk seem to be trouble free...? A great way to increase sales of newer versions.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
YES YES YES YES. AND TO AL WHO HAVE DONE IT YET DONT DO IT DONT DO IT DONT DO IT!!

Did you do the update over-the-air (OTA) or via iTunes?

Sometimes, an OTA update does not work as well as it should and the best solution is to re-do the upgrade via iTunes. Maybe try that?

As an anecdotal data point, I upgraded my Mom's iPad to iOS 8.0.2 using iTunes and it's working well (at least she hasn't told me it has any issues).

So, maybe try starting over with iTunes? It'll be more work, granted, but it might help.

Marilyn

auntymaz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Did you do the update over-the-air (OTA) or via iTunes?

Sometimes, an OTA update does not work as well as it should and the best solution is to re-do the upgrade via iTunes. Maybe try that?

As an anecdotal data point, I upgraded my Mom's iPad to iOS 8.0.2 using iTunes and it's working well (at least she hasn't told me it has any issues).

So, maybe try starting over with iTunes? It'll be more work, granted, but it might help.

Marilyn
Thanks Marilyn
I have always updated OTA as I don't have access to a computer, but didn't have any problems like this in the past. Another poster has recommended resetting by simultaneously pressing home and power button until the Apple sign comes up, I might try that first, but thanks for this.

Gtatler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks Marilyn
Another poster has recommended resetting by simultaneously pressing home and power button until the Apple sign comes up, I might try that first, but thanks for this.

I reset the iPad (I think) 3 times, and it sorted out all my problems. It's amazing what a reset will do to settle down a new IOS version. Only gripe I now have is a slight pause (about a second) when activating an app, but I can put up with that.

OP
Aerofly

Aerofly

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I reset the iPad (I think) 3 times, and it sorted out all my problems. It's amazing what a reset will do to settle down a new IOS version. Only gripe I now have is a slight pause (about a second) when activating an app, but I can put up with that.

I'm also finding that I sometimes have to tap a "web link" twice to get it to load!

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Not only is my iPad 2 running slowly, but it is running down my battery at an alarming rate. Have turned off everything that is mentioned in the forum, such as background app refresh etc, but today I have used it for no kore than half an hour and the previously fully charged battery now shows 63%. On investigation the battery usage part of general settings shows 6 hours on standby and 4 hours usage, mainly on the home/lock screen (50% of the time). I always leave the iPad locked by my cover and have not had this happen before. At this rate the battery will be fully drained by this evening with VERY little use. Does anyone have any thoughts ?

As I write this on the iPad the battery has dropped another 2% !

UPDATE. Have now made sure all notifications set to never, mail update to manual, all location services set to off except Find My Ipad, and it's dropped another 5% !

Ugh. That doesn't sound good. You went through the proper steps to improve performance and get things cleaned up per se. Did your battery perform well just prior to the update? We're there are signs that the battery was starting to get weak? Just curious.

You are sure there isn't some app or service turned ON that could be eating up battery power? Maybe an up that keeps updating or polling for new data even though background app refresh has been turned off?

Tahoechris

iPF Noob
Reaction score
:mad:WARNING:
If you have upgraded to iOS 8.1 DO NOT DO A HARD REBOOT!
My pad was locked for a couple of hours with the white Apple logo on my screen and I couldn't get out. As I have no laptop I would have been forced to rent one or find a geek at BB to connect me to iTunes for a full restore of my pad.
Luckily after some time the logo disappeared and the screen went black then my sleep screen came up; after a couple of slide on attempts my pad came back but it was uber scary as I thought I lost everything!
(Just watch the White Apple; soon as the screen goes black get ready for your sleep screen or tap reset button once to bring it up then slide on home to your pad as you know & remember it!)

I'd suggest until more run into this glitch that you don't do a hard reboot; heck I'm even nervous about just shutting it down for the night!:eek:

Good stuff so far on iOS 8.1 CAMERA ROLL IS BACK~Yeah :D

PS: iOS 8.1 was fully loaded and operating before this happened; I didn't try that reboot midstream and jam everything up.

Most reactions

Latest posts