What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad2 very slow after iOS8 install!

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm with you, twerppoet. All systems are a go with my iPad Air and iPhone 6 Plus.

So far, so good with both running iOS 8.1.

Marilyn

P.S. And I also do a restart after the upgrade on both devices...

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Agree with twerppoet and Mickey330 -

I reset my iPad 2 and Air after updating, as usual. No problems with both.

Tahoechris

iPF Noob
Reaction score
;)
I always do a hard reboot (reset) before and after upgrading. It tends to head off problems before they start.

No problems here, but then again I'm using an iPad Air. No problems on the iPhone 6 Plus either.

;)Well, I've always remembered to do a full backup to the cloud directly before a upgrade but never heard that a full reset was advisible too.
I'll definitely do that prior to the next upgrade.

Considering all the previous existing problems with iOS 8 and it's past upgrades generally doing little to help...reboots were already the order of the day; such as the constantly occurring screen freezes. Though a soft boot could sometimes help losing all previous work on the screen was troublesome to say the least.
Other reasons for the reboots could be loss of audio like when watching Break TV or even just keyboard clicks that weren't able to be fixed through normal routes or something else being there were numerous holes to fall in of late ever since iOS 8.

I'm well aware that trusting a dinosaur to be running mammalian blood through it's veins is risky I have no choice since it's all I can afford at present so I need to believe Apple has my back on what they're sending down the wire.
Also keep in mind that the copy/paste problem affected all users including the Air so this isn't just a iPad2 problem.

As I'm totally dependent on my pad and don't own a laptop nor ever intend too and it's too late in the game to jump ship even if mad at Apple or my tablet I still stand by it and am willing to deal with any problems that come down the pike no matter what as with any diehard Apple fan.

Say like glitchs with our VPN's; one's that've been occurring ever since iOS 6 that were never fully resolved yet I've continued to adapt and find solutions that bring back my previous speed and offer less chance of failure.
Every day's a new challenge and it keeps me coming back.

Got my hopes set on an Air 2 you know or maybe that 12" Pad they keep talking about; I can dream can't I ;)...?

Kare4k9

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No problems on my iPad 2 so far, just some minor bugs in third party apps and some new features of iOS 8, something that can be delt with easily by an update or a hard reset or something like that.

My iPad 2 has been lagging hard and became slow on the first few hours when I installed iOS 8, but after those hours my iPad 2 went back to normal. Do a hard reset or just wait a few days.

Please forgive me,but what is a hard reset? I'm having awful problems with my ipad2 since updating. Very slow or freezing. I am so frustrated. I have rebooted it with no change.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Please forgive me,but what is a hard reset? I'm having awful problems with my ipad2 since updating. Very slow or freezing. I am so frustrated. I have rebooted it with no change.

I'm sure he means this (by hard reset): Hold both the power and home buttons until the screen goes dark and the Apple logo then appears (the slide to unlock screen may or may not appear). Once the logo appears, release the buttons. After a time, your homescreen will appear. Please note that it may take some time for the Apple logo to appear or for your homescreen to appear (or both). This is normal. Eventually, the homescreen will appear.

This is usually the option to take if a restart (turning on/off the device) doesn't work. To do that, hold down the power button until the power off slider appears. Slide it off. When the device finishes shutting down, hold down the power button again until the Apple logo appears.

Usually, one or both of these helps in a lot of cases. It could also be that your iPad needs time to index all the new files and such that got installed on iOS 8.1...

Marilyn

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Absolutely right - does anyone know if there is anything I can do? Tried switching off and on again - no change. Can I reverse the upgrade?
Have you tried all the suggested solutions to your problem offered in this thread? Most users notice an improvement after trying one or more of the offered solutions. As to downgrading, I'm sorry to say that it's not possible. Apple stopped signing iOS 7.1.2 several weeks ago and since then it's impossible to downgrade.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Add me too with the successful update to iOS 8.1 and my iPad 2. I also did a restart too. :)

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
When I updated my iPad 2 OTA to iOS 8.0 and subsequent versions, I didn't notice anything amiss. The iPad operated just like it did before the upgrade.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I am noticing a significant improvement in loading webpages, since updating to 8.1! Big difference so far. :)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
;)

;)Well, I've always remembered to do a full backup to the cloud directly before a upgrade but never heard that a full reset was advisible too.
I'll definitely do that prior to the next upgrade.

Well, I can't say it works. I mean, just because nothing happened to me after doing it doesn't mean it would have if I didn't do the reset.

But this is my reasoning, which not surprisingly seems reasonable to me. Restarting or reseting the iPad clears the RAM and gets rid of any issues that might have been accumulating from runtime errors. That gives the download and installation process the best chance it's going to get to work without issues.

It's kind of like clearing the race track for a speed trial. It keeps the wrecks to a minimum.

Gtatler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Mine hesitated before running apps or going to home screen. Turned of multitasking gestures in settings app and it has cured this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Most reactions

Latest posts