What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad 2 hell with IOS8

Carlo Ferraro

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ferrarofilms.net
Installed IOS8 a couple of weeks ago when the notice appeared on my Ipad, did it immediately so I could get back. Fell in the trapp, could not get back because "I was out of date"
Not it is slow, stammers, Safari unuseful, it disconnects from GSM when it sleeps (I do not use Icl0ud, pverything related is disconnected), my dependable Ipad2, besides all its flaws, is unrecognizeable and instead of being a help it is a nightmare. The worst...its selling value is zero with this IOS8, Apple will not do much for these "old" machines, they are focused on selling and selling new ones. The smart would have been to leave thisgs as they were (as for Iphone 4) if the architecture was not good enough for "old devices"
What to do?
Can't throw to the garbage bin somthing that cost me over 600$.....

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, welcome to iPF!

Maybe resetting it will help. Press and hold Home and Power button simultaneously until the Apple logo appears. Release both and let your iPad power up. Do this for a second and third time.

If you don't notice an improvement, back it up, then restore it using iTunes: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1414

auntymaz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Installed IOS8 a couple of weeks ago when the notice appeared on my Ipad, did it immediately so I could get back. Fell in the trapp, could not get back because "I was out of date"
Not it is slow, stammers, Safari unuseful, it disconnects from GSM when it sleeps (I do not use Icl0ud, pverything related is disconnected), my dependable Ipad2, besides all its flaws, is unrecognizeable and instead of being a help it is a nightmare. The worst...its selling value is zero with this IOS8, Apple will not do much for these "old" machines, they are focused on selling and selling new ones. The smart would have been to leave thisgs as they were (as for Iphone 4) if the architecture was not good enough for "old devices"
What to do?
Can't throw to the garbage bin somthing that cost me over 600$.....
Spot on about Apple's abandonment of responsibility to loyal purchasers of what they consider "old" versions. A bit of help from them would produce a lot of goodwill. This upgrade smacks of 'planned obsolescence' and I will think very carefully about getting another iPad when I can afford to...might look to other tablets. Get wise Apple and give ipad 2 users some loyalty.

OP
C

Carlo Ferraro

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ferrarofilms.net
Why didn't I upgraded my Ipad?
Simple, I will not trhow out money for a device that needs basic features that Apple do not want to make feasible like external storage and more (seen in other tablets) and only upgrades for those details that keep geeks happy but not smart users like me. Only useful for emails and internet....sometimes, the blocking of flash is ridiculous. Really very unhappy....

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It's worth going through the device and making sure certain features were not enabled or turned ON after the update. I've seen this before and taking the time to go through every setting is wrath while, IMO on the older devices. Background app refresh, Bluetooth, notifications, etc, etc. all of that adds up and can affect system performance. I'd do a reset network settings too and re enter your wireless credentials. Worth a shot.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Why didn't I upgraded my Ipad?
Simple, I will not trhow out money for a device that needs basic features that Apple do not want to make feasible like external storage and more (seen in other tablets) and only upgrades for those details that keep geeks happy but not smart users like me. Only useful for emails and internet....sometimes, the blocking of flash is ridiculous. Really very unhappy....

You are unhappy. However external storage is not required I have a 500gb wifi drive and also 64 gb sub wifi drive so it is not an issue

Flash is dead on ALL mobile devices since 2011 so not a subject for discussion. There are apps that handle flash sites if yu really need them

I run a consulting business on my iPad 3 without issues with ios8 using a large number of apps

Go but an android tablet if that is what you want but frankly you will go backwards Ps I sell android, windows and Apple iPads. The return rate on android tablets is high so you gain nothing. Upgrades happen every year regardless what platform you choose they will continue to happen

Not upgrading is wise in your case so don't be so stressed it is the way of life with any ITDevice that is 3 years old or more

Last edited:
OP
C

Carlo Ferraro

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ferrarofilms.net
I switched to Apple in 2008 after 25 years suffering windows dictatorship, won't go back.... but apetite for sales over customer satisfaction has grown to such a large rate that it is ridiculous. They oblige you to do some changes because simply they will, like going to mavericks because if not you can not upgrade your FCPX and so on. Wifi drives or icloud...no thanks, privacy / speed get compromised. Will continue using it for the minimum, will depend more on Imac or MacAir. (Wouldn't be nice a sim on it for mobile internet instead of the expensive usb modems service?)
By the way...stupidity of mankind is infinitum....and if there are people capable of lying sleeping on the streets to be the first to buy a new iphone, we are screwed up....totally aware of that..

Last edited:

Most reactions