What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad2 very slow after iOS8 install!

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Trying to upload screen shot:

Can't get screenshot to upload...
App icons being replaced with a gray & white crosshair pattern.
Have done a full reset. How can I upload screen shot?
If you use Safari: there are problems since iOS 8. You can use Tapatalk (an app) to post pictures, or a different browser. I managed to post pictures using the Puffin browser.

Tahoechris

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Are they actually app icons, or bookmarks from Safari, like these:
View attachment 60413
I have to open them one by one to get a picture for the icon, as before.

If they are apps: there are lots of updates in App Store since the new software was released. Maybe they need updating.

They're exactly like that but all came back yesterday after reset and I thought problem was fixed. Can't upload screenshot to show you but that's them and they're all over including in my folders for sites with no standard icons just sites I added for reference.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
They're exactly like that but all came back yesterday after reset and I thought problem was fixed. Can't upload screenshot to show you but that's them and they're all over including in my folders for sites with no standard icons just sites I added for reference.
The bookmarks you added to your homescreen have to be opened one by one, then they'll be back to normal. Do this first, and then see if there are apps remaining which look this way.

Tahoechris

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The bookmarks you added to your homescreen have to be opened one by one, then they'll be back to normal. Do this first, and then see if there are apps remaining which look this way.

☞Tried that but they don't come back... On Chrome now but it crashed when I tried to upload screenshot. Really don't want to do a full reset again.
Only thing different I've done since upgrade was to switch to 4# passcode vs my regular longer one.
This is seriously daunting seeing so many icons replaced including in all my folders.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
☞Tried that but they don't come back... On Chrome now but it crashed when I tried to upload screenshot. Really don't want to do a full reset again.
Only thing different I've done since upgrade was to switch to 4# passcode vs my regular longer one.
This is seriously daunting seeing so many icons replaced including in all my folders.
All you have to do is tap the icon on the homescreen. This will open the bookmark in Safari, and then you can close it again, the icon will be back to normal. It won't work if you use Chrome, because these were created using Safari.
For comparison - the icons after opening them:
edumuva4.jpg

Last edited:

Tahoechris

iPF Noob
Reaction score
D07A0D22-33C3-48B5-BC8C-C4BD2EEF3496.PNG

Used Puffin...there's screenshot...

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It looks like the apps show their icon. It's just the bookmarks that need to be refreshed.
Tap the strange icons. If they are bookmarks, this will open Safari. Load the site completely, then close the browser and look at the icon again. It should have changed back to normal.

Tahoechris

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It looks like the apps show their icon. It's just the bookmarks that need to be refreshed.
Tap the strange icons. If they are bookmarks, this will open Safari. Load the site completely, then close the browser and look at the icon again. It should have changed back to normal.

Just tried 10 of them and the crosshair icon stays but all go to site through Safari...

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have three of these:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411119522.848466.jpg

I suppose they are not up to date, or there's a different site for these now.

Edit: these sites are not updated any more.

Last edited:

Tahoechris

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just tried 10 of them and the crosshair icon stays but all go to site through Safari...

☞I'm thinking,(IMO) that this is a glitch in iOS8?
If I reset again and they all come back it would mean that I can't do a soft reset, a reboot or even shut the pad down for the night if this keeps happening... Anyone else have this ptoblem after iOS8?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Three of my many bookmarks didn't return to normal after opening, the others are showing an icon as before. That's what I meant. I actually have a whole homescreen filled with bookmarks in folders.

The three I posted are not supported/updated any more, they're from an "old" site, that's why they won't change. I deleted the old bookmarks and added the new one in the meantime.

Last edited:

Tahoechris

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Three of my many bookmarks didn't return to normal after opening, the others are showing an icon as before. That's what I meant. I actually have a whole homescreen filled with bookmarks in folders.

The three I posted are not supported any more, they're from an "old" site, that's why they won't change. I deleted the old bookmarks and added the new one in the meantime.

☞98% of mine are live, current, and active and in all my folders.
Really don't want to do a full reset,(all settings) again especially if it only works once then fails soon as I shut down & reopen pad.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Wait for a few days. The new software needs some time to work as expected. Perhaps it'll need a while to get this back to normal.

Most reactions