iPad2 very slow after iOS8 install!

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Aerofly, Sep 18, 2014.

1. Aerofly

Aerofly
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Anyone else using an iPad2 noticed a distinct slowing down of virtually everything?

2. skimonkey

skimonkey
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I have not yet and own an iPad 2. I am still waiting to see how it goes for everybody else.

Have you restarted your iPad to see if that might fix it?

3. Scottysize

Scottysize
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Sorry. I have the Air and it seams to work fine on it. I haven't installed it on my work's iPad 3, because it might mess up my work app. I'm currently testing the work app on my Air.

4. Aerofly

Aerofly
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Yes, a restart was the first thing I tried, and it's not made a lot of difference. If you haven't downloaded it yet, it might pay to wait a while!

5. Gtatler

Gtatler
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Yes, distinct pause before apps load and display, slow Safari, Spotlight search sometimes gets certain data from iPad, other times does not get the same data. Great difficulty printing, all printer operations ignore printers that were previously available in IOS 7, now only have one printer available, and that's a high quality graphics printer - no good for general use. And that is despite all my printers being available to my network via wifi. Keyboard, which should suggest words, only works in some apps, not in TapaTalk ! In fact it now seems to have given up the ghost altogether. Also network connection occasionally drops unexpectedly for quite a few minutes, then comes back - eventually. And why the change to tabs (and closing them) in Safari ? RIDICULOUS !

Certainly wish I had waited !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#5 Gtatler, Sep 18, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2014
  6. cruiser111

cruiser111
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Looks like iOS 8 is definitely a wait-and-see update for the trusty iPad 2. Maybe even a 'no thanks, like what I have now.'

As tempting as it is to always get the new iOS updates, gonna really try to exercise good judgement this time.

(OK, OK, I'll wait - don't update now - just don't do it. OK, OK!)

7. skimonkey

skimonkey
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Work has been very busy for me to even think about updating to iOS 8...probably a good thing right now. I also need to make sure that I have adequate storage on all devices before making the move.

8. kfhaggerty

kfhaggerty
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I have iPad mini. That's basically the same as a 2, right? I'm having all kinds of trouble. Everything is so slow; Safari Slow enough and unpredictable as to be nearly unusable? Is it just my device? Did I download improperly somehow? I am so stressed and frustrated about it, wondering if this is what I'm going to have to live with from now on. I'm a long time Apple fan, but if this is an "improvement" over version 7, I think it's time to reconsider Android. Is there any advice? Anybody else having extreme useability issues?

9. skimonkey

skimonkey
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    The iPad 2 is pretty much older technology when compared to the iPad air. I have a ipad 2 and have realized that this update may not be one I do for this device. A new device is certainly one to think about soon.

10. Blue92

Blue92
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Installed 8 last night. Performance seems about the same. At this point I don't see any big changes. Not that impressed.