What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Biggest annoyance with the iPad?

What are your biggest annoyances with the iPad? (4.2.1)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

hookbill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
They should somehow made it easier to grip. I realize they want to sell accessories but putting a silicone cover every time I take if off the stand is a pain. Try gripping that and the Mac's wireless keyboard and it feels like a fish getting ready to slip out of your hand. I had a problem with the volume rocker so I sent that back, but it had a little chip, probably because I dropped it several times.

Other then that it's pretty impressive. I love my Mac and my iPad. And my Droid too. ;)

OP
jasonbrinks

jasonbrinks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For those of ya'll (a majority apparently) who said that 'Flash support' (or lack of thereof), have ya'll tried out 'Frash'? It does decently too!...

1. In Cydia, add the repo - http://repo.benm.at
2. Search for 'Frash', and install it
3. Now navigate to any website with flash ads on it (example), you will see a grey box with 'Flash' written on it... If you tap this box, the flash content will play.

Noted bugs are choppiness in the replay of flash videos.

(Take from one of Gizmodo's post. I would've put a link, but I'm scared silly with getting banned for the forum a mere 1.75 days after joining. To find the post, google 'how to install frash on ipad', and the first result is from the Gizmodo website.

So yeah, all kudos to 'em, I just be the messenger)

Rick-WW3DE

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A little fold-out handle that could double as a stand would be nice. My main gripe at present is that since installing the new operating system, I've lost all application sounds (eg, mail alerts, cards shuffling, keyboard clicks). Yes, these are ON in Settings. I do still have audio otherwise, however. Did not see anyone else mention this, so I guess it's just me(?).

OP
jasonbrinks

jasonbrinks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey Rick, yeah, that does sound like a one off problem... Have you tried reinstalling the OS?

Rick-WW3DE

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I did a little more research after my post and learned that the hardware rotation lock button now serves to mute application sounds in the new OS. Since I had my rotation locked, the ap sounds were muted. Switching it off restored my ap sounds. Wonder how many other little hidden"features" such as this we'll find in the new OS? Apparently there is a software rotation lock in the new OS. I'm going to search for it now. Thanks!

OP
jasonbrinks

jasonbrinks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
facepalm.jpg

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apparently there is a software rotation lock in the new OS. I'm going to search for it now. Thanks!
Double-tap the Home button and that will bring up the multi-tasking bar. Slide the bar to the right and that will reveal the iPod functions, screen brightness adjustment and....

ipad63.jpg

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My biggest gripe is simply the fact that it's so locked down and not expandable in any way whatsoever.

It didn't bother me, but now that more fully-featured Android tablets are being released, I'll be buying one of those for primary use, and the iPad will only be used on occasion.

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, in Apple's effort to keep this device the way they want it, they have eliminated any and all expansion ports (SD slots, USB ports, HDMI out, battery slot, etc etc).

While the jailbreak option does open up the software a little more, you are still in general limited by the hardware.

It's not even a huge deal to me, but as my primary device for taking to work and school with me, I would like something a little more feature-filled. The iPad has been a great tool for me, especially the Gray's Anatomy app has been excellent for my studies, so it will have a place in my backpack for a long while. Once the Android tablets start to really roll out with better options (early next year) I'll be getting one to use primarily.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My biggest gripe is simply the fact that it's so locked down and not expandable in any way whatsoever.
Not to use that old worn out cliche, but that is actually a feature. The iPad was designed to be a consumption device, made for consuming stuff through iTunes and it does that quite well. It is marketed primarily to the "average" consumer to stay connected while on the go, not for "computer geeks" who seem to be the people who are the most dissatisifed with the iPad.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not to use that old worn out cliche, but that is actually a feature. The iPad was designed to be a consumption device, made for consuming stuff through iTunes and it does that quite well. It is marketed primarily to the "average" consumer to stay connected while on the go, not for "computer geeks" who seem to be the people who are the most dissatisifed with the iPad.

Well said. This is going into my notes.

:D

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I understand, and for the most part agree with what you say. Had there been other options available, I wouldn't have bought the iPad, but it was the only product available. I don't think you have to be a computer geek to find value in a full functioning USB port or SD card reader or webcam though.

I really don't have THAT many complaints about the iPad, I love it overall, just wish there was a little more to it.

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not to use that old worn out cliche, but that is actually a feature.

I think that is a stretch. I agree that for a large part the lack of expandability is a design (and money making) decision on Apple's part. I also agree that the Ipad has plenty of features for media consumption. However, calling the lack of something a "feature" is pushing it a little in my opinion. It is simply a limitation of the device, no different that a lack of air conditioning in a car. Some might call that a feature, I would call it a shortcoming.

OP
jasonbrinks

jasonbrinks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ooo... I sense something brewing...

"LADIES AND GENTLEMEN! O' PEOPLE OF GLORIOUS ROME! WELCOME...

... To the colosseum! On the dirt covered land before your bloodthirsty eyes, is the iPad! Under the ground, chained to their feet, are the viscous hounds of limitations! In their pens, are the mighty warriors of our beloved Rome herself - Features!

Behold their struggle, watch, as they battle to the death, over the iPad!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts