What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WHY is the lack of Flash your biggest annoyance?

WHY is Flash your biggest annoyance?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

hookbill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just don't use Flash. I don't go to any sites that it's required.

Whoops, I take that back. There is one site I go to where Flash is needed, I'm just not going there now. MLB Extra Innings.

If I need to go there I'll use my Droid 2.;) That's if I decide to purchase it again this Spring.

freebirdforever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
senshudo.tv
I watch stuff from my home PC when i am out and about and sometiems even states away and I dont have an issue really. -shrug- might just be lucky

But that requires you to leave your home PC on all the time. I turn mine off when I'm not using it or downloading something. Our electric bill is already painful enough, I'm not going to add more to it just so I can access Flash content from my iPad while I'm away from home. I would rather just have a tablet that runs Flash natively. Motorola Xoom in late February! Woohoo!

I will be buyin the xoom, but nothing can replace my ipad or ipad 2 when it comes out.

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
But that requires you to leave your home PC on all the time. I turn mine off when I'm not using it or downloading something. Our electric bill is already painful enough, I'm not going to add more to it just so I can access Flash content from my iPad while I'm away from home.

Computers are pretty power efficient these days, I can't imagine that's much of your electric bill. I leave mine running all the time and my ComEd bill is under $25/month.

And it's not just Flash content - it's being able to do everything your pc does from your iPad. I had to convert and transfer a bunch of files yesterday over the course of 3 hours. I got the process going via iPad while at work, and it was done by the time I got home.

freebirdforever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
senshudo.tv
But that requires you to leave your home PC on all the time. I turn mine off when I'm not using it or downloading something. Our electric bill is already painful enough, I'm not going to add more to it just so I can access Flash content from my iPad while I'm away from home.

Computers are pretty power efficient these days, I can't imagine that's much of your electric bill. I leave mine running all the time and my ComEd bill is under $25/month.

And it's not just Flash content - it's being able to do everything your pc does from your iPad. I had to convert and transfer a bunch of files yesterday over the course of 3 hours. I got the process going via iPad while at work, and it was done by the time I got home.

+1 sir! xD

Snowlady

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I send birthday and holiday cards on line and pay for the service. My family and friends love them and I was so disappointed to find I cannot receive or preview them on my iPad because of no flash. It's a really big deal for me.

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wouldn't say Flash is my biggest annoyance with the iPad, but it is an annoyance just the same. I don't rely on Flash or Flash enabled sites on a daily basis, and to be honest before I got my iPad I never paid attention to what delivery mechanism was being used on each website I visited. But, the lack of Flash does pop up from time to time and when it does, it is annoying.

For example, I am in the process of replacing all of the trim and interior doors in my house. I have never done this before so I have been doing a lot of internet research before I start. Many of the small homebuilder sites I have visited have video tutorials of various techniques I need to learn. Invariably many of these videos are in Flash format. I'm not holding my breath that these smaller sites are going to see the light and magically transfer everything over to HTLM5. Is that enough for me to get rid of my Ipad? Of course not. It is annoying? It sure is. I can always send myself an email with the link, fire up Splashtop and watch the video remotely, but honestly I guess I am just lazy. That is a lot of trouble to go to when all I wanted to do was watch a five minute video on coping trim. I have learned that when doing any serious Internet surfing to do so on my Windows PC ... it just works.

When I am doing anything on any of my devices, whether it be my iPad, my Windows PC, my Hackintosh or my netbook I get annoyed when things don't work. I would guess that goes pretty much the same for everyone out there.

Last edited:

fgsiii

iPF Noob
Reaction score
no flash

the site I most wish I had flash for is Xfinity TV , and next is for the web site of my local ECHL hockey team (Wheeling Nailers). half the site needs flash to be used. many other sites but as was said earlier I knew it when I got my Ipad since it also doesn't work on my iphone

freebirdforever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
senshudo.tv
fgsiii said:
the site I most wish I had flash for is Xfinity TV , and next is for the web site of my local ECHL hockey team (Wheeling Nailers). half the site needs flash to be used. many other sites but as was said earlier I knew it when I got my Ipad since it also doesn't work on my iphone

Xfinity tv is getting an app

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Once again, anyone who feels aggrieved about not getting Flash on iPad ought to read this, in which a Flash developer explains why Flash doesn't work too well on touch-screen interfaces:

An Adobe Flash developer on why the iPad can’t use Flash — RoughlyDrafted Magazine

His argument is mostly based on the theoretical trouble that mobile devices would have with mouseover events. The following link shows it's really not a big of a problem as he is making it out to be.
theFlashBlog Flash Works On Touch-Based Devices (Video)

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Once again, anyone who feels aggrieved about not getting Flash on iPad ought to read this, in which a Flash developer explains why Flash doesn't work too well on touch-screen interfaces:

An Adobe Flash developer on why the iPad can’t use Flash — RoughlyDrafted Magazine

I'm pretty sure embedded Flash video and other simple Flash applications would work just fine on the iPad however which seems to be what most people are asking for. I'm not expecting to play Facebook games.

Last edited:

joephoto

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If Flash were implemented as an on-demand feature where it could be enabled or disabled as needed it would only make the iPad better. For all it's flaws, Flash is a part of the interwebs as we have it today and a lot of people miss it on the iPad for both important and trivial reasons. Those reasons are not for anyone else to judge.

I love my iPad for what it does but it's far from perfect and Flash is just one reason. Of course it's not a deal breaker as some can make it out to be, but it is annoying to not have all of the online content available at my fingertips on a mobile device I like to use. I've been using my iPad for digital paintings and one thing I really miss is web access to Adobe Kuler.

Scanups

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad vs. Xoom

I just experienced the Motorola Xoom. I love my iPad, but Steve Jobs foolishly thinks Adobe Flash is at the end of its life. If he keeps thinking that and does not pay attention, the iPad won't die, but the Xoom will dominate. Get with it and give us Flash!

freebirdforever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
senshudo.tv
The xoom will not dominate. Android as it is right now is not a stable enough platform for all to adopt. It is still in its growing stages as far as an OS on a cell phone, muchless a tablet.

JJ8

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can't begin to list all the sites that are affecting me personally, there are so many. How about any news site, sports site, music site, and in particular Hulu and the fan club site of a prominent artist to whom I belong. I do not get angry with each of these sites, I get angry at Mr Jobs each and every time, and I'm a designer and have used Macs my whole career. Flash is not dead, and I would not even own this iPad if I had not received it as a gift (since I knew of this issue). I think the whole point of the tablet concept is to be able to access the web and have the same experience you can get with a desktop computer... Well, that is laughable. I appreciate some workarounds I've seen posted here and elsewhere, for instance, everyAir, which I am planning to get... but, if Apple truly had the consumers' best interests at heart, Flash would NOT be excluded.... At least not yet. Premature. Big mistake IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions