What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WHY is the lack of Flash your biggest annoyance?

WHY is Flash your biggest annoyance?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I can't begin to list all the sites that are affecting me personally, there are so many. How about any news site, sports site, music site, and in particular Hulu. . .

Hulu, at least, is not entirely a Flash issue. They block all mobil devices. Something to do with content licensing I believe. Or maybe they just want you to pay for Hulu Plus.

At any rate, my browsing is mostly RSS feeds and news sites, the old fashioned text kind, so I'm rarely effected. An occasional CNet video or slide show, but rarely anything I really care about. I'd welcome Flash, if it worked well, but won't be hauling around any protest signs in front of Cupertino.

I've got it on my Droid X, and haven't found much use for it there either. Just not in my use pattern I guess.

xune

iPF Noob
Reaction score
WHY is the lack Flash your biggest annoyance?

People keep saying the lack of Flash is their biggest annoyance, but not why or what they are not able to accomplish because of the lack of flash. "Cause I cant go to websites." is not an acceptable answer - what websites? Pron (misspelled on purpose) sites? FB Games? Seriously, why is Flash "so required" for internet use?

I agree. Aside from an occasional embedded video that I can't see, I'm virtually unaffected by not having flash.. Other than having increased speed, battery life, faster page loads.. oh yeah.. those are good things, aren't they?

I'm glad that Apple doesn't enable flash on their iOS devices, and ships MacBook airs w/o flash. The faster the world gets on board with HTML5, the better for everyone.

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So you want every site that uses Flash to change their entire structure (because Flash is deeply embedded into many sites) just because the minority (compared to computers and devices that can use Flash) of people who use iPads don't think it's needed? WOW. Really?

For the record, the MacBook Air does indeed ship without Flash, but guess what? The USER has the option of installing it very very easily, just go to Adobe's website. That's all people want with the iPad, the OPTION.

Oh, and just for the record, in most of the independent tests done, on most devices (other than Mac OSX) Flash 10.1 OUTPERFORMS HTML5. Just do a Google or Youtube search and see for yourself, in most situations, Flash wins. People on this site want to think HTML5 is the holy grail, but on pretty much every device except Apple products, Flash is better.

Last edited:

robertlc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
but, if Apple truly had the consumers' best interests at heart, Flash would NOT be excluded.... At least not yet. Premature. Big mistake IMO.

but Apple doesn't have the consumer's best interests at heart, only their shareholders' and Steve Jobs'. They are a business.

Dean981

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I want to play club penguin on my iPad but I can't because it doesn't have flash, club penguin would be great on the iPad cuz you would be able to touch the places youbwant to go to and stuff :ipad-front:

Scanups

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh, and it's not my biggest annoyance. My biggest annoyance is not being able to change simple things in the user interface and add widgets and stuff for instant display of information without opening an app.

But the Flash thing is bothersome, errrrr, was bothersome until I essentially gave up using my iPad because of several of the sites I visit regularly not working correctly.

Steve Jobs claims that Flash is at the end of its life, which won't spell the end of the iPad, but the beginning of Motorola's Xoom - which I anxiously await.

Racky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not being able to catch up on BBC and other TV progs is v v disappointing. Am also having lot of difficulty w VIDEOS - including from the Apple ipad website for goddsake! Tried several times and have given up. Out of c 6videos i've tried, only 1 was successful, and it wasn',t Apple's. What's going on?

Jeeper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't miss Flash at all, really. Rarely am I hobbled by the lack of it. I think Discovery channel & HGTV are still flash. The official RUSH website was flash, but recently has become accessible, HTML? I think.
I was bummed at first because the weather channel radar was flash, but it too works fine now. I'm totally happy with the iPad's ability without it...as I expected. :)

freebirdforever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
senshudo.tv
Not being able to catch up on BBC and other TV progs is v v disappointing. Am also having lot of difficulty w VIDEOS - including from the Apple ipad website for goddsake! Tried several times and have given up. Out of c 6videos i've tried, only 1 was successful, and it wasn',t Apple's. What's going on?

Theres no flash support native and wont be. If its really that big of a deal that you cant find a work around or dont want to, i suggest selling your ipad for an android tablet. -shrug-

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
This is beating a dead cow to death. I personally think the OP has all the answers he needs so do not be surprised if the poll is closed soon so we can move on to discussing more interesting new iPad news.

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ah, the moderator's dilemma - to let everyone beat the same dead horse indefinitely, or close the thread and have everyone beat a new dead horse. ;)

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ah, the moderator's dilemma - to let everyone beat the same dead horse indefinitely, or close the thread and have everyone beat a new dead horse. ;)

That is just too damn funny!! I can not stop laughing!

He has a point, Colin! There will always be a damn flash thread ~ until the end of time!

xune

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Flash's additional speed over HTML is boosted at the expense of battery life; system

So you want every site that uses Flash to change their entire structure (because Flash is deeply embedded into many sites) just because the minority (compared to computers and devices that can use Flash) of people who use iPads don't think it's needed? WOW. Really?

For the record, the MacBook Air does indeed ship without Flash, but guess what? The USER has the option of installing it very very easily, just go to Adobe's website. That's all people want with the iPad, the OPTION.

Oh, and just for the record, in most of the independent tests done, on most devices (other than Mac OSX) Flash 10.1 OUTPERFORMS HTML5. Just do a Google or Youtube search and see for yourself, in most situations, Flash wins. People on this site want to think HTML5 is the holy grail, but on pretty much every device except Apple products, Flash is better.

Yes. Really.

MB air's are intentionally shipped w/o flash, as that would cause additional battery drain, slower browser page loads, and reduced system stability. Any browser plug-in, like flash player, is not superior to NATIVE web coding.

Flash is parasitic to any OS and battery, on any platform, Apple or otherwise. The reason flash can be faster than HTML5 on a PC running windows or Chrome, is that those OS's allow the flash plug-in to tap into the GPU hardware.. something that Apple sees as completely unnecessary, since HTML is native web lingo, and doesn't draw from the device's resources.

Exalt the glory of flash's plug-in if you like, but running flash has it's consequences in reducing system resources and battery life.. critical in the hands of a tablet user who doesn't want to be tethered to a charging source more often than needed, or suffer the extra weight and thickness of a larger battery.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts