1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

WHY is the lack of Flash your biggest annoyance?

Discussion in 'Apple iPad Polls' started by deckyon, Jan 6, 2011.

?

WHY is Flash your biggest annoyance?

1. Inability to play Facebook games.

8.3%
  2. Inability to watch videos on ... (List the sites.)

34.7%
  3. Other - Please list.

6.9%
  4. Lack of Flash has not affected my use of the iPad.

52.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deckyon

deckyon iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    WHY is the lack Flash your biggest annoyance?

People keep saying the lack of Flash is their biggest annoyance, but not why or what they are not able to accomplish because of the lack of flash. "Cause I cant go to websites." is not an acceptable answer - what websites? Pron (misspelled on purpose) sites? FB Games? Seriously, why is Flash "so required" for internet use?
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2011
  2. AlunReynolds

AlunReynolds iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    In truth deckyon it ain't that important. Not a show stopper anyway. I haven't found it to limit anything I have wanted to do. Perhaps though, that is because I use the iPad mostly for business orientated stuff.
  3. jwt873

jwt873 iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0
    I bought the iPad primarily for mobile browsing. I knew the iPad didn't do Flash when I bought it, so it was no surprise.. What did surprise me was how many of the sites I was visiting were flash based.

For example, I'm considering buying a new car... All the North American car sites have a 'build your own' section where you pick a model and add all the options you want and then get a price.. ALL of these web apps are flash based. I had to go to my desktop computer to use the feature. That's one example.. There are quite a few other sites I can't use because of the missing Flash.

It's not the end of the world, but my browsing is a lot more limited than I thought it would be...
  4. Superbike81

Superbike81 iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I browse YouTube and several other video sites quite a bit. Success varies from not working at all to YouTube which is missing a lot of videos from the standard site compared to the iPad.
  5. deckyon

deckyon iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Like?
  6. robertlc

robertlc iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Here we go again...
  7. SweetPoison

SweetPoison iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +132 / 0
    Ya think? Goodness.
  8. Superbike81

Superbike81 iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    You want me to list all of them? I'll list a few, but I visit quite a few semi-regularly.

-Discovery Channel
    -Discovery Health
    -BBC News (I know I can just read the text, but it's nice to see the video of the story to, really helps you get a feel for it, a picture is worth a thousand words right?)
    -Porsche Web Cinema (Porsche makes some of the best car commercials in the world, I love watching them over and over again, not on my iPad though :( )
    -Interactive stock market charts don't function correctly on almost every site I've been on.
    -It was already mentioned above, but shopping for a new car? I am. Don't think you can use the configuration tool to price/spec the car the way you want. 360 degree image viewing? Nope. Interactive displays? Nope.
    -Oh, and for me the deal breaker, my school's interactive site for retrieving records, checking transcripts, registering for classes, etc, doesn't work correctly.
    -Also my favorite adult site, XHamster doesn't work.

I could go on, but there's no point.

I understand you are trying to convince people that they really don't need Flash. But just because you are ok with it, doesn't mean the rest of us are.
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2011
  9. robertlc

robertlc iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Who dragged the dead horse out again?
  10. Superbike81

Superbike81 iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Oh, and it's not my biggest annoyance. My biggest annoyance is not being able to change simple things in the user interface and add widgets and stuff for instant display of information without opening an app.

But the Flash thing is bothersome, errrrr, was bothersome until I essentially gave up using my iPad because of several of the sites I visit regularly not working correctly.
  11. Superbike81

Superbike81 iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Deckyon seems to be on a "Flash is the devil" rampage right now.
  12. deckyon

deckyon iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Yeah, put words in my mouth. This has nothing to do with my feelings on flash. So many people "need it" but wont give any reasons why. The Dead Horse arguement? Really? Funny, I am not bashing Apple, Jobs or the iPad for not having Flash...

I am just trying to find out WHY people think Flash is so important.
  13. SweetPoison

SweetPoison iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +132 / 0
    It would seem.
  14. iPadCharlie

iPadCharlie iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    But I thought the lack of a USB port (a "real" USB port, not the CCK!) or not being able to access the file system was the biggest annoyance with the iPad....

I am sooooo confused!

[​IMG]
  15. Digikid

Digikid iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Personally I find not the lack of flash in itself annoying but rather the dummies that should have researched the iPad....should have KNOWN that Apple hates flash...and STILL yet scream when they find out that their iPads do not support it.

The perfect response would be along the lines of....

DUHHHH!!!!!!!!

Same with those that are screaming at Apple to put Flash in......Never gonna happen folks.

HTML5 is the future anyways. More secure, faster and MUCH less power hungry.
  16. Superbike81

Superbike81 iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Well, I accommodated your request andlisted just a few of the sites that I use at least on a weekly basis that use Flash. There are more, but I'm not going to waste my time listing every site I've used that doesn't fully function or forces me to use an alternative site.

Digikid: HTML5 may be "the future" but guess what? I don't have a time machine, so I'm living in the present, not in the future, and right now there are many sites that I can't access on the iPad because it's not the future yet, it's now. If Apple wants to hold a stupid grudge against Adobe for eternity, they have every right to do so, but at least some of their customers are not happy about it.

Like I said, the lack of Flash isn't my biggest annoyance, but it is one reason that Apple has lost at least one customer (me) who would have probably bought the iPad 2. Instead I will be buying an Android based tablet and enjoying the COMPLETE web as well as a much nicer and customizable user interface. I'm sure I'm not the only iPad owner who will be making the switch in a few months.
  17. David Vice

David Vice iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    The flash support is an annoyance ...for simple tiny reasons. I was trying to upload a picture to a blogging website and there was no way to do it. I touch the upload image button and nothing happens. I mean it's not that important I still love this thing, but it's the little things that become a nuisance and as said before limit your web browsing experience.

Good iPaddin :ipad-keyboard:
  18. David Vice

David Vice iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I was also thinking if I seriously made a mistake in buying the iPad. Instead of waiting for what android had to offer. But I dont think that android will pull off something better than the iPad so far as design, touch interface, and performance go.
  19. Superbike81

Superbike81 iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    It would be VERY easy for Apple to implement something into Safari like I have enabled on my notebook's Firefox similar to "Flash Block." This allows me to conserve battery life by not displaying Flash content. But what it does do is give me a little icon that I simply click if I do want to view that particular content.

This way Apple could maintain it's battery life claims. If you want to view Flash content your battery life may vary. Simple enough. But it won't happen because Steve Jobs is holding an elementary school style grudge.
  20. Superbike81

Superbike81 iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Ummmmm, you sure about that? Check any site that has covered this year's Consumer Electronics Show. The Android 3.0 based tablets being released in March/April are much more powerful than the iPad, have a more functional design (admittedly not as pretty in most cases) and the interface on them is MUCH better.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.