1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Best Remote Desktop App

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by joe.niles, Apr 9, 2010.

1. joe.niles

joe.niles iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm looking for a remote desktop app that will access my iMac, PC and Mac Pro server. Big on Easy of Use!! Currently run Chicken in VNC to connect from my iMac to the Mac Pro. Used logmein before for PC to PC, but do not want to pay a Yearly fee..

:D
  2. gentlefury

gentlefury iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    I got desktop connect and it works pretty well...just wish it had a way to turn off my second display.
  3. Oche

Oche iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Iteleport

I've been using iteleport. It was pretty easy to setup. Works with ssh. You can use the mouse either by dragging or a touch screen style mouse. Haven't tried any others yet.

Gary
  4. AbblePC

AbblePC iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    iTeleport (Jaadu VNC) is the best in my honest opinion, after trying several others over the years.

The current version from Jaadu is for the iPhone and they are soon to release the iPad version for free to those who already owned the program prior to April 3rd. You can purchase the iPad version at any time though and be charged $25 app price for it, even if you already bought the previous version on iPhone, or wait for the free upgrade path in app store for existing iPhone version owners.

They also have a Windows RDP version called Jaadu RDP, its also $25 but between these two apps, it's the best $50 I spent on my phones. The Jaadu RDP is still being updated as well but wont release until after they get the VNC version up. This is knowledge after just speaking to them about the updates via e-mail.

Both programs are very robust and still work on the iPad as the iPhone versions. I can't wait to install the iPad version, so tempted to pay the app price again, but will probably wait for the free upgrade which is very soon.

You can't ask for better support either, they are only two Devs on these apps, but are tentative on their forums as well as e-mail.

These two programs are my bread and butter on certain days. $25 a piece is a small price to pay for such good polished apps and I applaud them for their continuous updates as well.

www.iteleportmobile.com/
  5. joe.niles

joe.niles iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks.. I've been looking at iTeleporter and will most likely get it today. :D

Just got the app and it was pretty easy to setup on my iMac.

The Control will take sometime to get use to. it looks like it will meet all of my needs on the iMac.

I'm now working with it on my Vista Machine(Not sure why I do not use this machine much)..
    It just like doing anything on a Windows machine A PAIN in the A$$!!!
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2010
  6. Allan_Vancouver

Allan_Vancouver iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Purchased and installed LogMeIn - seems to work well

I purchased and installed LogMeIn on my iPad, and also installed the free apps on my iMac, Win7, XP and Vista virtual and real machines.

It works quite well, except for a few glitches on the Vista real PC. I have VMWare Fusion on my iMac with Win7 and XP virtual machines. If I start everything and have the LogMeIn apps installed on the real Mac and the two virtual Windows machines, I can control any one of them.

The VMWare Tools software conflicts with the LogMeIn software on the Mac so that it is not possible to access the virtual guests from the Mac desktop. It is possible however to access the two virtual machines under separate sessions on the iPad.

It may be normal for the Windows LogMeIn software, but they switch the PC (real or virtual) to a solid colour background instead of a picture when a LogMeIn session is active. They revert to the photo background when the session from the iPad ends.

Sometimes on the real Windows Vista machine the full desktop doesn't display on the iPad. This may also be a display driver conflict on the PC. Sometimes it works ok, such as when I switch to a second Windows user and back.

I'm travelling April 18-22 with just my iPad and with all my home computers left running (iMac, Windows Vista, and 2 virtual machines running under VMWare on the Mac). I will test remote access and report back here in the forums.
  7. gentlefury

gentlefury iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Does anyone know if there is one that is faster to desktop connect and more in line with logging in to screen share on a mac?

Dexktop connect does what it needs to do but when i log into my mac from another mac it's very fast and quite useable....desktop connect is pretty slow.
  8. Temp40

Temp40 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  9. Takenover83

Takenover83 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have been looking at a few. I notice some just allow you to move the mouse around (logmein), why others have touch support. Maybe something to keep in mind when purchasing. I would prefer one that offered both.
  10. Umdterps2002

Umdterps2002 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If you like your vnc solution and want better rdp for windows ... I would suggest Jump, I bought it and connect easily to my windows boxes.
  11. pouya58

pouya58 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Does iTeleport work well over 3g? I've tried RealVNC and it works well but there is still a few second lag. It's worth the cost if the lag is a second or less. How do youtube videos look?

Also, which works faster on the same host machine, RDP or VNC?
  12. MikesTooLz

MikesTooLz Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0
    Best one for windows that I have seen is the WinAdmin ipad app.

lets me log in to my windows machines from anywhere and is quick and responsive even over 3G.
  13. kheldour

kheldour iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Desktop Connect works pretty well on 3G.

I was pretty much busy with the same question over the last week or so and finally made my decision towards Desktop Connect.

Why? Because it got excellent reviews and I didn't see a significant benefit for Teleport or LogMeIn....
  14. Michelangelo

Michelangelo iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    HTPC remote control

And what about "VNC Pocket Office Pro"? I heard that it's the faster remote for iPad but I don't know if it is.
    My intension is to use iPad to take remote control of my HTPC, wich is connect to Tv. In this way I can play any video on the large Tv screen, simply using iPad to run and control it.
    Unfortunatley, when I start playing the video on the Tv, it will also play on the iPad monitor, taking lots of wifi band and make the remote control difficult for the low refresh of the iPad screen.
    Wich apps can help me better doing this?
  15. gentlefury

gentlefury iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Desktop connect is really slow compared to iteleport. I bought both unfortunately and I only use iteleport.
  16. pallentx

pallentx iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Do any of the remote desktop apps out there have cut, copy, paste clipboard support? That would be really handy.
  17. lilman

lilman iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I use LogMeIn for controlling pcs and VNC Viewer (the one from the people behind RealVNC) for everything else. They both work great, but LogMeIn provides a better experience. If LogMeIn had a Linux client I would use it instead of VNC Viewer.
  18. yvrgal

yvrgal iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Desktop Connect is a great app. A bit pricey but worth it.
  19. USBill

USBill iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Anyone know of an rdp client that adapts for left handed desktops?
  20. MikesTooLz

MikesTooLz Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0
    Not sure what the differance would be when using remote desktop on the ipad.

Are you talking about when you switch the mouse buttons around if lefthanded.

if your using the WinAdmin iPad app tapping is the same as clicking, Press & Hold is for right click, double tap is double click, tap once and Hold to drag.

Dont thing it would make any differance what had you use since its all from one single finger.