What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best Remote Desktop App

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
+1 for iTeleport. I use it literally ever day.

I know it sucks to pay again..but give RealVNC a try...you have to know the ip address you are logging in to (i use iTeleport to get it) but its way faster and smoother, especially when on a local network.

y2kgtp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How is the refresh rate on LogMeIn? Obviously better on the same local Lan, but over 3G?

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
To copy and paste, you just have to copy the text on the PC, and it is automatically ready to paste on the iPad.

On windows, double-tap to highlight, two-finger-tap, then choose copy. Now that text is ready to be pasted in the iPad.

That's a cool tip, but not what I'm looking for. I dont need to go back and forth between Windows and the iPad, I just need to be able to select a few lines of text from a page (double-tap just does 1 word), then copy and paste them into another app on Windows. I cant figure out how to select a section of text.

Michelangelo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I gave iteleport, desktop connect and realvnc (spent too much in search of a good vnc). Desktop connect is slow and basically useless. iTeleport is pretty good but lags s lot...but the discovery feature almost makes it worth it. Realvnc is fast, stable and has some great keyboards. So far realvnc is the cheapest of the lot at $10 and so far the best (they did invent vnc after all)...

I tryed realVNC and it is amazing in desktop controlling! Thank you for the good advice.
The App work very well except for video control. I explain the problem: when I use realVNC viewer, from iPad, to reproduce a video on server the control on iPad looks really slow and after some minutes it disconnect from server.
Some ideas?

Server has Win7 32 bit with aero disable.

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I dont know if any of the remote desktop/vnc apps will be able to allow you to watch videos on a remote machine. You will need a VERY fast connection for that. That's a lot of data to have to move from one machine to the other.

y2kgtp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I dont know if any of the remote desktop/vnc apps will be able to allow you to watch videos on a remote machine. You will need a VERY fast connection for that. That's a lot of data to have to move from one machine to the other.

I agree. It would be nice for a app to be developed to connect to MS Media center.....

Michelangelo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, I hope there will be a possibility to do what I want. I know it's impossible to see smooth video remotely on iPad, but I hope that it will be possible to control video, locally playing on server, remotely from iPad.

If RealVNC doesn't disconnect every few minutes it was a good solution, not perfect but almost good. For example "Remote HD" works better in video control, but is very bad in desktop menagemet (makeing playlist of music/ video, browsing hard drive, web browsing..).
I am talking to RealVNC support to find a solution to my disconnection problem, let's see if there will be one..

fredz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
flash?

How do these remote desktop aps work for playing flash videos? What I want to do is connect to my PC, start a web browser on the pc and use it to view flash videos on my iPad.

y2kgtp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How do these remote desktop aps work for playing flash videos? What I want to do is connect to my PC, start a web browser on the pc and use it to view flash videos on my iPad.

Very poor. Remote desktop of any kind has never performed well for video. And not going to get the audio out of most apps.

Is there a specific site your trying to view?

Michelangelo

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I confirm, with all the remote desktop apps that exist today (for iPad or windows PC, and also with wired LAN) you cannot obtain a fluid video reproducing in your iPad from remote. Best you can do is about 10-15 fps.
There is an app that promise fluid remote video but is still in beta testing for iPad:
Demo video about using multiple monitors with MaxiVista

I wait for this app :p

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
for video, I think your best bet is to have a server-side process that can encode on the fly and stream to an app on your iPad. That way instead of sending your entire desktop at 30 fps, it just sends the video data, and that gets played on your iPad. Air Video does a pretty good job of this. Of course, this wont help you see web pages with flash and stuff like that from your desktop.

y2kgtp

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I confirm, with all the remote desktop apps that exist today (for iPad or windows PC, and also with wired LAN) you cannot obtain a fluid video reproducing in your iPad from remote. Best you can do is about 10-15 fps.
There is an app that promise fluid remote video but is still in beta testing for iPad:

I have used this demo before on PC. It is not designed as a remote desktop application as you may think. It's purpose is to extend 1 computers screen, onto a 2nd computer's screen. Probably similar to the Mac only application Air Display.

For example, you have 2 laptops side by side. It would allow 1 laptop to use the other laptop's screen as a secondary monitor for the 1st laptop.

for what I needed out of it, I found a freeware application. I wanted to use 1 keyboard\mouse across multiple computers, like a software KVM switch. (Input director)

Michelangelo

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I have used this demo before on PC. It is not designed as a remote desktop application as you may think. It's purpose is to extend 1 computers screen, onto a 2nd computer's screen. Probably similar to the Mac only application Air Display.

For example, you have 2 laptops side by side. It would allow 1 laptop to use the other laptop's screen as a secondary monitor for the 1st laptop.

for what I needed out of it, I found a freeware application. I wanted to use 1 keyboard\mouse across multiple computers, like a software KVM switch. (Input director)

Which app have you found for KVM switch?
However I understand that MaxiVista is also a KVM switch application, using LAN to stream video and command:
http://www.maxivista.com/kvm.htm

Last edited:

y2kgtp

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Which app have you found for KVM switch?
However I understand that MaxiVista is also a KVM switch application, using LAN to stream video and command.

I use Input Director - Software KVM to Control Multiple Computers as all I needed\wanted was mouse\keyboard control over multiple computers. It's nice as the control is seemless between computers....I just move the mouse across screens\computers as normal, and the keyboard input follows whatever screen the mouse is on.

It does not stream video.

I forgot to mention it also shares the clipboard between the 2 computers.....very handy.

Most reactions

Latest posts