What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apps for people in IT

jacksmadi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
heh

AGREE 100% , heheh , that was great comment

whatever , i got the Ipad for free as a gift from GF , so that list helped me alil , but i am still looking and tryin to find some apps regarding security and looking things in my ipad , password protections , etc

I thought IT people weren't supposed to like the iPad ;)

Good List! Thanks for sharing![/QUOTE]

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Good thread. Is it possible to update the list in the first post with additions as the thread grows?

appsmonkey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
appsmonkey.com
Any godo SSH app?

I can't believe no one's mentioned iSSH! This is the absolute best ssh client I've found, and it also includes VNC and X11!

See zinger-soft.com for the app.

(Sorry for not making this a clickable URL, but I'm blocked from doing so as this is my first reply on this forum!)

The terminal emulator is superbly done, it allows for far greater than 80x24 displays while still viewing the on-screen keyboard, has a unique and useful way of accessing the editing keys, allows you to create macros, and supports a wide variety of character sets and fonts. It also generates both RSA and DSA keys.

I've used the VNC client, which works well, but not yet tried the X11 server.

This is the Swiss Army Knife of remote access utilities for the iPad/iPod/iPhone, and one purchase gets you both versions!

I agree, iSSH is top notch tool that every developer should already have. It works impressively as both a terminal emulator and an ssh client. This allows you to remotely connect to all of your machines whenever you want, wherever you are--all from the comfort of your iPad. I have yet to find an app that does this better.

KekszNET

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there any other app to rdp into a Windows 2003 Server than for example the iTap RDP?

I am not looking for an app like Splashtop, which uses his own "protocoll", and needs to be installed extra.
I need an app which can be used to access a server, listening at port 3389, as the normal remote desktop.

Cheers!

Twistedfish

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use Wyse, it works with RDP, VMware view and VNC. Good product, cost $15 but worth it for me.

KekszNET

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just purchased Itap on the weekend for remote desktop app with my windows server 2003. Which is behind a ssh tunnel(!) - so first I need to connect to a server via ssh to portforward to localhost (I am doing this with iSSH on the Ipad), than I am able to connect with the remote desktop behind that "firewall").

It works like it should be, the gestures are great and the scope mode is very useful.

You need to learn that there is no mouse, need to do everything with the fingers ;-D

WEB:
iTap RDP Introduction

Cssystemstx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iTap RDP using mouse mode

KekszNET,
If you go to settings on the saved configuration, then advanced - User Interface and change Mouse Mode to pointer mode rather than scope mode. I find having the mouse pointer is helpful. I tried both ways, but ended up using pointer mode on all my saved configs. Happy trails!

KekszNET

iPF Noob
Reaction score
KekszNET,
If you go to settings on the saved configuration, then advanced - User Interface and change Mouse Mode to pointer mode rather than scope mode. I find having the mouse pointer is helpful. I tried both ways, but ended up using pointer mode on all my saved configs. Happy trails!

Thanks for the tipp.

The only thing I have a problem is the copy/paste, for example mark something in a docu, and than ctrl+c, etc...
How is that working faster?

Hrothgar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm an IT guy and this is the list that brought me to this forum from a google search. This is just the kind of stuff I was looking for, although I use some of it already, and it's great to get some ideas on what else I can use the iPad for at work.

BTW, LogMeIn Ignition is one I use daily and don't regret spending the money on at all. Works great on the iPhone as well. I use the DropBox app everyday as well to view and share documents me and my Technician need access to. SpeedTest.net from OOKLA is a bandwidth tester that I liked so much on my iPhone that I put it on my iPad as well, even though it's built just for the iPhone. It has many servers to choose from so you can always find a close one and get a fairly accurate measure of your bandwidth.

Thanks again, great thread!

Last edited:

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ISeries access via the iPad.

Mochasoft TN5250 emulation. Functional, stable, convenient.

Lacks bells and whistles like keyboard mapping and wireless keyboard compatibility is stated as limited. Limited as in alpha numeric keys only. No paging or function keys. However the app supplies fn keyboard, num pad keyboard, and standard keyboard all of which can be active in portrait mode. Landscape mode is preferred so I do a lot of rotating when using the product.

I no longer carry my laptop when on call, iPad and cell phone with tethering is all I need.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

JimBrown

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here is a list of ultimate apps for ipad.
1. ABC player
2. Netflix
3. NBA Game Time Courtside
4. Shazam for ipad
5. AP News
6. TweetDeck
7. StumbleUpon
8. Accuweather
9. WSJ
10. Wikipanion

Most reactions

Latest posts