Am I the only one not THRILLED with the new cover? (Case)

Discussion in 'iPad 2 Forum' started by Broseph, Mar 7, 2011.

1. tzimisce

tzimisce
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    But then, I don't buy accessories which are cheaply made overseas and resold at a vast markup. I have two iPad cases, one from Oberon Design and another from Treegloo, both of which are small design studios and their items are hand-made/customized to order in the US itself. These are not cheaply made nor are they cheaply sold - well, the Treegloo was quite a reasonable price although Oberon has always been a premium product - but when you look at the materials and craftsmanship, you know you are getting value for money.

I've always felt (and I've said this before on other threads) that third-party mass vendors like Belkin, Targus, etc, make crazy profits because they will design and make a product cheaply overseas, add some flashy packaging and push the product aggressively with marketing, and of course charge as high as they dare. The Apple smartcover falls into that category of "made cheap, sold dearly", so of course it's fair criticism.

More than once I've seen a particular product being sold under their brand at a markup, and then finding a very similar-looking product on Fleabay from a no-name Chinese-based vendor at a fraction of the price. (For all I know, it's the same factory selling the same product, just without the "brand".)

2. droid2mac

droid2mac
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    For me I want something to protect the back and sides. When I set it down on a table I don't want to always think about being careful. I will be using it all over the house, including the garage. So whatever I set it on I want the back protected.

3. Torria

Torria
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    guys no worries! In a couple of weeks the market will be flooded with all kinds of cases. In every color, fabric, material, with or without magnets in several different price points. I'm only to sure that they are already in production.

Sent from my iPad using iPF. Torria

4. totemynote

totemynote
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I was at an Apple Store today exchanging my iPad for light leakage and they didn't have any third party cases/covers at all yet. I was kind of surprised, I'd thought they would at least have one or two already. But your right, there will be a million choices very soon.

5. biobunny

biobunny
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Yeah it's the 1 on subscribed threads on my iPad.

6. ThePhotog

ThePhotog
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I really like the light brown leather smart cover. I like how it's starting to age.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

7. Torria

Torria
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    What color iPad do you have?

Sent from my iPad using iPF. Torria

8. ThePhotog

ThePhotog
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Mine is like a natural tanned leather, I really like how it changing since being exposed to air.

9. ThePhotog

ThePhotog
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    My iPad 2 is black

10. TC93

TC93
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    In my opinion thats also another huge advantage the Ipad has over the competition, there are tons of accessories/cases to choose from.

I saw one case I kind of liked, but they say it won't be out until July which is way too long to wait.