What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Am I the only one not THRILLED with the new cover? (Case)

Tarkio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I may have a really weird way of looking at technology but when I hear people talk about getting a case for the back of the iPad I keep repeating in my head "They want a case for their case." The back of the iPad is aluminum and its not the "back", its a case that protects the iPad hardware inside.

I understand the desire to protect the iPads case from scratches for resale purposes but I hate the idea of a redundant cases personally. I like the sleek look of the actual device.

Another reason I like the smart cover.

That's why I just ordered the Joy clear cover for the back. It's thin and invisible.

I just sold my iPad 1, and if the back would have been scratched the price would have been $100 less.

Last edited:

hoshnasi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I may have a really weird way of looking at technology but when I hear people talk about getting a case for the back of the iPad I keep repeating in my head "They want a case for their case." The back of the iPad is aluminum and its not the "back", its a case that protects the iPad hardware inside.

I understand the desire to protect the iPads case from scratches for resale purposes but I hate the idea of a redundant cases personally. I like the sleek look of the actual device.

That's why I just ordered the Joy clear cover for the back. It's thin and invisible.

I just sold my iPad 1, and if the back would have been scratched the price would have been $180 less.

Interesting? How did you determine that value?

wytey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
giffgaff.com
Yep, same reason why people buy car seat covers etc, to keep what ever it is protecting in good condition to keep the resale value higher, and not to mention nicer to look at

hoshnasi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yep, same reason why people buy car seat covers etc, to keep what ever it is protecting in good condition to keep the resale value higher, and not to mention nicer to look at

It like my father in law leaving the cheesy plastic on his watch faces after he purchases them.

I'm a user not a curator.

Tarkio

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I just sold my iPad 1, and if the back would have been scratched the price would have been $180 less.

Interesting? How did you determine that value?

I didn't determine the value, Gazelle.com did. After I locked-in the offer on my perfect condition iPad, I submitted another offer request and said the back was scratched, resulting in a lower offer. If it would have been engraved I would have lost another $90.

wytey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
giffgaff.com
hoshnasi said:
It like my father in law leaving the cheesy plastic on his watch faces after he purchases them.

Lol, now that is one thing I remove straight away :)

kctay

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Hmmm, wondering if he waxes his car.....or wears shoes....

hoshnasi

iPF Noob
Reaction score

He wears shoes, but tapes a shoebox to the bottom to protect them :p

zipur

iPF Novice
Reaction score
No No No the smart cover is not worth the $$$s. Yes it does work and it works well. When I first got my smart cover I giggled every time I opened the case. However it Will fall off from its own weight.
You will scratch the back of your device.
It will get scuffed up and look beat up in time
By this time next year they Should be on sale for $10.00.

That's just not true. I can hold just the open cover in my hand and it supports the the weight of the iPad, even if I swing and shake the cover. The magnets hold. If you have a smart cover that falls off from it's own weight you have a very broken smart cover. Take it back for exchange.

And yes, of course the smart cover only covers the front. This is news? I love the design of the smart cover and just bought a clear back cover to preserve the back, and the slim look of the iPad 2.

If you hold you IPAD in portrait mode and use the smart case in a triangle mode as a grip. Your case will be a smahing success. You can stablize it using your thumb on the glass but if you hold it slightly near the top or bottom the IPAD will drop.
Now it can be said that this is not the correct way to hold your IPAD in portrait mode but this is natural as it gives a much more natual way to hold the IPAD.
I called in a case in to Apple and they sent me a brand spankin new one, I got the same results.
No harm no foul, I'm keeping my case cause I still like it and it makes me giggle. Bottom line is that it's not perfect and if you are new to this and try walking around depending on the smart cover to maintain you will be ordering a new IPAD.

Last edited:

kctay

iPF Novice
Reaction score

He wears shoes, but tapes a shoebox to the bottom to protect them :p

Ha! You funny guy, I like you. However, if I could make a suggestion...try clear packing tape on the bottom of your shoes, it's clear, and it won't be so obvious...;)

hoshnasi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you hold you IPAD in portrait mode and use the smart case in a triangle mode as a grip. Your case will be a smahing success. You can stablize it using your thumb on the glass but if you hold it slightly near the top or bottom the IPAD will drop.

Not really having that issue with mine. I can hold only the triangle in portrait and the iPad hold firms. Hmm, I might be doing it wrong though.

Tarkio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No No No the smart cover is not worth the $$$s. Yes it does work and it works well. When I first got my smart cover I giggled every time I opened the case. However it Will fall off from its own weight.
You will scratch the back of your device.
It will get scuffed up and look beat up in time
By this time next year they Should be on sale for $10.00.

That's just not true. I can hold just the open cover in my hand and it supports the the weight of the iPad, even if I swing and shake the cover. The magnets hold. If you have a smart cover that falls off from it's own weight you have a very broken smart cover. Take it back for exchange.

And yes, of course the smart cover only covers the front. This is news? I love the design of the smart cover and just bought a clear back cover to preserve the back, and the slim look of the iPad 2.

Now it can be said that this is not the correct way to hold your IPAD in portrait mode but this is natural as it gives a much more natual way to hold the IPAD.
I called in a case in to Apple and they sent me a brand spankin new one, I got the same results.
No harm no foul, I'm keeping my case cause I still like it and it makes me giggle. Bottom line is that it's not perfect and if you are new to this and try walking around depending on the smart cover to maintain you will be ordering a new IPAD.

That's quite different than "falls off from it's own weight", no?

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm happy to say I'm really liking my Smart Cover. It does a good job of protecting the face of the iPad and doubles nicely as a stand. I don't have to carry around my portable stand anymore (that stays home now). The screen has a protector on it. The back has a really nice compatible TPU case I got for $14.99. Not perfect, but it looks decent, has some modest grip to it and gets the job done without adding any bulk. Overall, everything is still a nice, thin package that's still slimmer than the iPad 1. My Smart Cover stays on and not so easily detachable. Comes off when I want it to.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

iceman72

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Lol What a joke. still not worth $40 bucks. It should be called an "I Got you to to pay $40 for something that should only cost $10 cover." Its way way over priced. Apple should be ashamed. Heck the way they talked it up on the original trailers it seemed like they were giving it away with the iPad 2. When I saw it was not free I was like WTH. But then again it's Apple we are talking about here right?

$40.00 for a well engineered device to protect and clean an over $500.00 device. I respectfully disagree.

I understand we spent a lot of dough for our iPads. But I just dont see the Apple cover as a "Well engineered device." I mean I see a cheaply made couple pieces of material with some magnets. Just because it's Apple doesn't instantly mean its good quality. I have messed with one and I am 100% sure that my $12 leather case from eBay is much much better quality and technology. It does everything the Apple one does. But guess what? It protects the entire iPad 2. Hey and it even has those highly engineered magnets in it so it puts my ipad 2 to sleep when it closes. Now how about that? Not to mention it looks nice and classy. I think some people are such into Apple that no matter what they put out junk or not they think it's gold. But this Apple cover is far from it. It should have been free.
IMAG0657.jpg

IMAG0658.jpg

IMAG0659.jpg

IMAG0660.jpg

IMAG0661.jpg

IMAG0662.jpg

IMAG0663.jpg

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts