What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Am I the only one not THRILLED with the new cover? (Case)

Tarkio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Lol What a joke. still not worth $40 bucks. It should be called an "I Got you to to pay $40 for something that should only cost $10 cover." Its way way over priced. Apple should be ashamed. Heck the way they talked it up on the original trailers it seemed like they were giving it away with the iPad 2. When I saw it was not free I was like WTH. But then again it's Apple we are talking about here right?

$40.00 for a well engineered device to protect and clean an over $500.00 device. I respectfully disagree.

I understand we spent a lot of dough for our iPads. But I just dont see the Apple cover as a "Well engineered device." I mean I see a cheaply made couple pieces of material with some magnets. Just because it's Apple doesn't instantly mean its good quality. I have messed with one and I am 100% sure that my $12 leather case from eBay is much much better quality and technology. It does everything the Apple one does. But guess what? It protects the entire iPad 2. Hey and it even has those highly engineered magnets in it so it puts my ipad 2 to sleep when it closes. Now how about that? Not to mention it looks nice and classy. I think some people are such into Apple that no matter what they put out junk or not they think it's gold. But this Apple cover is far from it. It should have been free.

Or, it's possible that we just really like the smart case, no matter who made it.

Unfortunately, $12 leather cases look like $12 cases, at least to me.

Last edited:

MsTapp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
after reading the recent comments, I'm convinced my smart cover is defective. It falls off from its own weight.

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
MsTapp said:
after reading the recent comments, I'm convinced my smart cover is defective. It falls off from its own weight.

Yes, if you hold the iPad up in the air (doesn't matter if flat or on edge) and the cover, hanging, falls off easily, a defect exists. Exchange it and before leaving the store try on another one or two (they will have at least one or two known good ones) to confirm the problem is just the cover and not including the iPad itself.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

SkyStudio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Silent Assassin said:
I took that piece of trash Smart Cover back today and swapped it for the Camera Connection Kit (and cash back)..

The Genius at the Apple Store didn't even ask any questions about why I was bringing it back, he just smiled and asked if I wanted a full refund, or if I wanted to look at something else.. After I got the Camera Connection Kit, he told me that they were putting $10 and some change back on my card..

I totally agree with you, I got the black one, expensive but only decent one nearly as nice as my iPad gen 1 which also protected the iPad as well as has Velcro to place it on any surface you add Velcro, I have Velcro in my car, kitchen wall for cooking or watching tv, bathroom for hot baths, haven't tried anything kinky yet lol

But for sure eh smart cover is a rip off, if you attempt to use the camera outside watch out cause it falls off if you try to hold the ipad from the center, I can't wIt to buy another iPad 2 cover soon that actually protects it and does the same.

Sent from my iPad2 64GB wifi 3G using iPF

Stefx

iPF Noob
Reaction score

rchatburn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I didn't like it at first but now I have got used to it I find my self actually using it for what they intended it for a portable stand. I really don't like the case stand combos that 3rd party manufactures are making they have a large foot print. I also like how easy it is to take off I don't like how the protective microfiber is on the out side in stand mode just seems like I'm going to get something stuck to it and scratch my screen.

Oh and I am not to fond of the price but I could say that about everything I own.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

fla_spearo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm with you Bro! Thats why I ordered a leather case.:) One of the biggest compliant I have is how difficult it is to hold in your hand while your trying to kick the kings butt in Infinity Blade!

Ncaissie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can fold it with the microfiber in. I did it all the time before I returned mine.
The little rubber feet was not keeping it from rubbing on the ipad and was wearing out the hinge. (Not the ipad thank god)
I took it back and he said they are seeing a lot of that.

SkyStudio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I will be totally honest, no iPad cover, case glass whatever can hold it up perfect, smart cover stands up better then my gen1 leather case 1/4th of the price, but smart cover is actually stupid, the only reason i got it was because nothing else exists yet, I'm waiting for a slick magnet type or no magnet cover like my old one with the camera hole, maybe I'll make one myself but been that's it's for the gen one it's fatter, but I'm tempted since the smart cover is a joke, I almost dropped it, i see it's more prone to get scratched, ehhhhh, talk about backwards, sorry if I'm ranting

hoshnasi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hmmm, wondering if he waxes his car.....or wears shoes....

He wears shoes, but tapes a shoebox to the bottom to protect them :p

He bought a 60" TV and added a plexiglass sheet in front of it, for protection

No he never did that, but he did leave those little corner stickers from the store with bright feature boxes all around that scream "1080P!", "3D READY!" and so on. Its a start contrast to the sleek black bezel when your eyes wander to the upper right corner and are assaulted with TV feature data.

hoshnasi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am more and more convinced that alot of the folks on here with issues regarding magnet strength have a less then effective smart cover.

I think their is honestly something wrong. If you live by an Apple store, do yourself a favor take the iPad and the cover in and get it checked.

I didn't even wait to see the genius bar. I just walked up to one of the Apple guys with iPads and asked to try his smart cover and ask him to try yours and compared the many ways my old one failed.

Last edited:

SkyStudio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
gmaines said:
My black leather smart cover works great and holds nice and strong. Guess I lucked out.
ack

Well I have a black one and it only stands up, any other way is a mess, can't lay it down with out the screen going in circles in the car, I'm used to using the gen 1 iPad with the common cover and at least I have 3 positions with it, including Velcro on the back

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
gmaines said:
My black leather smart cover works great and holds nice and strong. Guess I lucked out.

Ditty with my navy blue leather one. I really like it. I have a TPU case that works with it, still maintaining a nice, thin profile with full protection and the ability to have a stand for typing (folding the softer material inside), which is what I use it most for. Every now and then I'll fold it for standing up but first I make sure the surface I'm setting it on is clean. I'm happy!

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

SkyStudio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I put Velcro on the back of my iPad and that sort of protects and helps it stay on my lap, especially while I'm in a moving vehicle, I recently replaced the smaller Velcro strips with a new 5" wide Velcro strip I found on eBay, but when I went to remove the smaller Velcro strips it ripped the plastic Apple icon on the back leaving only the soft Apple logo exposed, looks the same and I bet when I sell it no one will notice, just thought I mention this incase anyone wants to use large Velcro strips.

P.S. The black smart cover I have now DOES let go open if I hold it facing down, just the first 2 flaps, sux thouh if you ask me.

Last edited:

Most reactions