Am I the only one not THRILLED with the new cover? (Case)

Discussion in 'iPad 2 Forum' started by Broseph, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Broseph

Broseph iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Don't get me wrong--it's cool, but im worried about scratching the back. I also find it convenient (for apple) that my would-be choice of colors is only featured in leather ($69) vs. $39 for plastic. I'm interested to hear thoughts because as far as i've heard, everyone is in love with the cases.

cheers
  2. Nugga

Nugga iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    In my opinion covering the ipad in a cover is destroying a pretty awesome design.
    Instead you should buy a bag for it, and then use the bag to carry it around like the bags you buy to a netbook.
    Unless ofcause you want a stand for your ipad.

Myself i'm going to buy a 3'rd party bag/stand just something where i can pull out the ipad if i want to enjoy the design
  3. Seadog

Seadog Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +52 / 0
    I find things that I like about the cover, enough that I may get the Incase original design that inspired Apple. However, one thing I like about the original design, is that it has a back cover like a rubbery version of my Coveroo. Negative, it uses an elastic band instead of magnets to hold the cover in place.
  4. Broseph

Broseph iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm planning on carrying it in a bag anyway. There's just something unsettling to me about leaving the aluminum exposed. Anything that gets used constantly, phones, and iPods for example, are always subject to scratches.
  5. sjleworthy

sjleworthy Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +56 / 0
    agreed. i love the case, but it's only half a case really.

that said, i'll be buying a smart case and a third party bag.
  6. the_john

the_john iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I want to find a third party back cover that will work with the smartcover. Haven't seen anything yet. Tentatively I'm going to get the Zagg full body kit.
  7. DontUnderstandMyIpad

DontUnderstandMyIpad iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0
    The new cover does not have any edges for dirt to collect in, which is a huge bonus.

But the back can definitely scratch.
  8. ajstan99

ajstan99 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You are not alone. To me, the case makes or breaks the usability of a tablet and the Apple case for the v1 iPad was perfect for my needs. It turned the iPad from a device I had to baby and worry about to a functional tool for business, home and sharing content.

Aside from protecting the screen and the back of the device, it provided quick access to use, shock absorption when setting down on a hard (or less than pristine table/counter), and made it easier to hold/use than without a case. I am even able to clip on my Boxwave stylus to have it available wherever I go.

I'm also not up for thick cases or a separate sleeves/pieces I have to worry about stowing somewhere when I just want to flip the cover open and use the tablet as-is.

I'll be looking for an alternative case if there isn't an iPad 2 version of the v1 Apple case.
  9. elgerber

elgerber iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Hello, this is my first post, and I will be buying my first Ipad on Friday. I was thinking of getting the Zagg full body also. Do you think the magnets on the smart cover will still attach over the skin? This is what I was hoping for.

If not, I may be back to square one.
  10. Bananahands

Bananahands iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I like the new case in theory but I have two problems with it.
    First: I know most apple products are over priced but come on, $49 or $69 for a flap of material with a few magnets inside???
    Second: Am I the only one that's noticed the micro-fiber underside which supposedly "buffs" the glass while its closed is the same side that comes in contact with the surface on which you lay the Ipad? Whether just flipped open or folded back for use as a stand, its potentially picking up any dirt or debris on the surface (not that I would put it down on obviously dirty surfaces). So then you close it to protect and "buff" the glass and the dirt is rubbing up against the glass. This is a major design flaw.

That said, I will not be buying the cover. I will, however, be buying an Ipad 2. This has been my first post, and am very excited to buy my first Ipad!
  11. dmaul1114

dmaul1114 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    I like it. Tablets are already big (unlike my Kindle that I keep in a case) so I'd rather use them without a case.

I don't care that much about scratching the back. I figure if I'm careful with it and put it in a neoprene sleeve (with smartcover over the screen) when I'm putting it in my briefcase etc. it should be fine.

Though I did have the same worry about the cloth side of the case that touches the screen picking up things. But I haven't had much issue with that with my Kindle case and I often have it folded over and sit it down with the clothe side that touches the screen on a table etc.
  12. iPadOhana

iPadOhana iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I personally don't like the new covers and that is the main reason I'm not upgrading to the iPad 2...I got my Saddleback cover and the new design wouldn't fit in the case...I usually use cases to cover my iPhones or iPads because though I love the look I do like keeping them pristine incase I need to possibly sell them to upgrade if I need/want too...
  13. Mtnmedic

Mtnmedic iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    I like the cover but I'm kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place with it. That's because I like to have a grip case ("shell", if you want to call it that) on the iPad like I have now, which gives it a nice grip and looks nice (I have the MacAlly clear Flexitpad case, which I compared closely with the clear Belkin GripVue but found this one to be a bit better). With that, it wouldn't be possible to attach the magnetic cover unless because the grip case wraps around the edge of the case and about 1/16" onto the bezel. Perhaps, I could cut out part of the grip case to accommodate the magnetic contact points?

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad using iPF
  14. qnet

qnet iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I like it but, I am also worried that it leaves the back vulnerable.
  15. tzimisce

tzimisce iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I'd wait to see it in person before making any decisions. (Accessories are important decisions.)
  16. the_john

the_john iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    No reason they shouldn't.
  17. dmaul1114

dmaul1114 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Well the magnets may not be strong enough to work through it if it's a skin that covers the back or side (but that's probably not an issue) or the skin could stick out and make the magnet edge of the case not snap flat on the side of the iPad 2 (though I'd think you could trim the skin back around the attachments if needed).
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2011
  18. madhatter61

madhatter61 iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    The magnetic attachment just happens to offer quick on/off... slick IMO. Also the triangular stand is clever and effective. Accommodates the camera adapter which provide and SD slot ... great for photo transfer.

Since iPAD2 is a Xmas gift to my bride ... Blue works for her $39

The cover protects when you set it aside ... No one wants scratches on the case ...perhaps a thin adhesive armour films on the back would work.
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2011
  19. elgerber

elgerber iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    On a slightly different note, do you think Apple will have any other cases for sale at the launch besides the smart cover? I am very impatient about such things LOL, and like to have something right away. I didn't use my Kindle for over a week after I got it, until I could get a cover and skin delivered.
  20. unsyncable.com

unsyncable.com iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    LOL...impatience is a virtue, right?