What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why Apple, why????

elau

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Since I upgraded to IOS 7 now I cannot receive IM on my phone!!!!! People used to send me IM to my phone number now goes to my iPad. The only way to receive IM is to have them send to my to my iCloud account.

Is there a way to correct that? This whole upgrade is one big mess!!!!! Keep it up Apple and people will go back to Windows. This is totally unacceptable.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Since I upgraded to IOS 7 now I cannot receive IM on my phone!!!!! People used to send me IM to my phone number now goes to my iPad. The only way to receive IM is to have them send to my to my iCloud account.

Is there a way to correct that? This whole upgrade is one big mess!!!!! Keep it up Apple and people will go back to Windows. This is totally unacceptable.

By IM, do you mean iMessage? Or some other instant messaging service?

If you mean iMessage, have you checked your Messages setup in your Settings app? Just to make sure your phone is showing your phone number as a contact...

Marilyn

OP
E

elau

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Marylyn. Before the upgrade there was Message on the phone. After the upgrade, only iMessage and even my phone number is checked as my primary number everything goes to the iCloud account which is on my iPad. My wife is deaf so it is the only way we communication when we are not at home. Apple drops the ball on the IOS 7. Unbelievable!!

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think elau is talking about the Messages app. I am hearing impaired too and this app is vital to those of us who cannot use the iPhone in the traditional way.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Marylyn. Before the upgrade there was Message on the phone. After the upgrade, only iMessage and even my phone number is checked as my primary number everything goes to the iCloud account which is on my iPad. My wife is deaf so it is the only way we communication when we are not at home. Apple drops the ball on the IOS 7. Unbelievable!!

On my iPad, with iMessage, I can be reached via three different contact methods - 2 e-mail addresses and one phone number. The iMessage account is linked to my phone so I can see on both devices...

However, you can turn off any of the contacts on the iPad so that messages are only received on the iPhone. And vice versa, you can make it so the iPhone doesn't get messages via a certain contact and so only the iPad sees them. Take a look at this photo:

e6avaha5.jpg

If you press on any of the checked lines under "You can be reached by iMessage at", you can stop the iPad receiving an iMessage via that number/e-mail address.

My recommendation is to set up your iPad and your phone so that they don't share any of the same contact points. This way, if people want to iMessage you, they'll have to send to that specific contact, versus one of many.

Hope this helps.

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts