What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why do people do this

henry2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a question for the people here??? Explain to me the reason why do we get something that good for general use and then a month later the rumors start about the next upgrade of the probuct ..

I'm surpised at the whole idea of overloading the ipad with so many extras features that it no longer a general all around device with great screen and great battie life

It like that with phones that went from a simple device to not beening able in this day and time to get a phone without a camera and a bult in computer to make a simple phone call ..

On two other forums iam on that has a ipad section every one and there mother son is going what the ipad 2 will have from there brother who works at apple to the married brother in law sister who is a case design person ..It makes no sense to mess with a proven design that is all ready makeing you profit in this day and age..

So what are your ideas on this train of thoughts of people who..

P.S
Here is something else i notice that alot of the people are selling there ipad because of it not beening able to do computer base programs ..Where did they get the thoughts in there little head that the ipad was going to replace the computer in the house ..Mr Jobs had said in the interveiw questions and answer it was a device to be able the person to use as all round device and not as a computer ..

Last edited:

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
1) Not everyone who buys products like the iPad researches them first, many are impulse buys. They see it at the store or see a friend using it and decide they want to buy it. That is probably where many people get the idea that it could replace their computer. Wishful thinking some would say.

2) In every industry people are always looking for and/or developing the "next big thing." As soon as that new drug to treat some terrible disease comes out, there are already people researching to replace that drug and make it obsolete. Same hold true ESPECIALLY for technological devices, it's just the way things work.

No one is forcing you to go out and buy the new iPad, and only crazed fanboys will scold you for not upgrading to the newest device every time it gets refreshed. If you are happy with how it functions now, keep it, don't worry about the next one. But if the next one has a feature that you really want, don't hesitate to upgrade.

OP
henry2

henry2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Your right and it what someone said today at work was the reason behind the post about the ipad not beening a true protable tablet like the other tablets comeing out in the market and when i explained to the gentlemen that i really did not use the ipad as a device like that he goes that is stupid behind the reason why i give ..

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Lol theres always someone out there who thinks they know more, have more etc., and others who are perpetually dissatisfied.
What ever you say is irrelevant when dealing with other's preconceptions.

For me the iPad's a brilliant device. It may not do all I want but I'm happy with what I got and can work with/around it's limitations.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
What you find is most buy the ipad and use it as it is designed they are not computer geeks that want to modify, make it fly or see if it can bake cakes. This group just wants to read emails do face book surf the net play music and do all the things that the iPad was designed for. I doubt this group would consider upgrading as they are more than happy with what they purchase.

Another group love the iPad but are looking at all the new stuff that is coming out.... They always love more speed more memory more every thing and love to update to new technology because they want to have the best to show of too friends or seriously just love the latest gadgets regardless of cost. I have to admit I am one of this group because even though I am 66 I just love technology. If I can afford to buy something I enjoy that gives me happiness then I do it.

The third group are geeks, it guys, people whom love to rip stuff apart to make it better just because they own it. They down load updates to iOs. regardless if it is are beta install all sorts of apps and usually put up with constant crashes. This group-also loves to jailbreak the ipad etc. This group also are members of every forum known to man kind and appear to known every thing about any type of technology regardless if they own it or not. Forums tend to attract users like these as it is a way for them to let of steam and share the knowledge on stuff that in many cases they have not a clue about.

So where does this leave us in the quest to upgrade to the new iPad......my approach is simple if you really do not need the extra speed, performance, light weight design and many many more features then keep you current iPad. Research the market listen to members here and remember no one is pushing you to buy the latest and greatest.

If you fall in either one or both of the second or third group then purchase an iPad or if not an iPad a wang dang competitor of Apple just ba s long as you are happy.

Last edited:

zorah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Pretty much yes, what the others said. Of course, like anything else, Apple will update the iPad. That's just how technology works. Next model comes out in a year. Col. Bris did a great job in breaking down the categories of people. And I agree that there are always people who think they know more/better and are constantly grumbling. They can't enjoy what they have in the quest that the next replacement is "on its way". And then yes, on forums, of course you are going to hear from them griping, this that, the other thing. And if you are happy with your device as is, or in your case, are fine that iPad in general was never meant to be a laptop replacement, the disgruntled folks then start throwing the whole "fanboy" term around instead of just listening to the fact that the person is simply perfectly fine with the device. And no way do you need to upgrade either if you are happy with the first generation. I just got mine in November and would I think it's fun to upgrade? Why sure. Do I NEED to? No, and I'm not planning to. Forums are full of opinions for sure, and it's easy to be arrogant hiding behind a screen! The scolding folks saying all should upgrade would doubtfully say that to anyone's face, eh?

andjoh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
People look at it like a Huge iPhone. They're the ignorant ones who don't spend the time to see if it's something they'd use and like. They just judge a book by it's cover and won't listen to the reasons why we are right into them and stick to their own opinions. They'll attack you with the full computer questions and you tell them no the iPad doesn't do that, that's it, it's a crap machine. My shit Head little brother who hasn't even touched one claims that his calculator does more and nothing will change his mind about it.

In ten years people are going to forget it was Apple who released the original Pad and who ever has the top market at the time it will be them, they did this and that first blah blah, just like Microslop did Windows first when really it was Macs who invented a Windowed Computer. The idea was copied, the system was open for anyone in their garage to build a computer and use Microslops System.
Apple played smart and locked their systems to their hardware so cheap imitation machines weren't circulating. People hated that idea so Windogs won the market for decades. So didn't people have problems with their $200 HP machines and having to buy extra memory, graphic cards, cpu's and of course the extra software to protect their OS's while Macintoshes with a system built to their hardware stayed reliable with less trouble and longer life was worth the $1500 or what ever price.
The rush was on then, Apple had to get out and really prove themselves and do something about Microslop and companies like Dell and HP selling cheap crappy machines to the world.
The original iMacs came to attention then and people started to notice Apple and move away from the competitor. Steve Jobs thought bigger, the iPod. Though there was already MP3 players out in the market, Apple had a great campaign with iTunes and iPods working together with people suddenly walking around with these tiny white head buds in their ears that others had to have one too. They were only adaptable with Macs at first that created new Mac users just for the iPod. So of course they had to be upgraded with new designs and then a surprise release to Windows systems to widen their customers.
In the time Microslop was still trying to get away from their OS, Apple released OS X and had what? Four, five new Systems before Microslop got something new out that needed better hardware and failed. As with Apple updates, a lot of machines are now obsolete from their system updates because the hardware needed improving to run correctly, they never failed.
What people over look is what Apple has said about the iPhone was that, 'we didn't invent the smart phone, we just made it better'. They didn't invent the computer neither, they just made it better.
The critics first opinions on the iPad were negative, its going to fail. Now everyone is out there trying to do better. This is going to make cheap smart phones and pads that people are going to have trouble with. Androids are going to be put onto any old cheap phone or Pad. The iPhone and iPads are made together for the iOS and correct Hardware to work together as I've just rambled on about Macs and cheap PC computers.
All this time it's been Macs v's PC's is now Apple v's everyone else. The Android and Windose7 Phone haven't really proved them selves yet as we are getting ready for the iPad 2 which will keep Apple the leader at this time in pads. Those Anti_Apple_iPad_Android_Flash_Loving people are the ones who said the iPad will fail are now interested in pads because someone else who isn't Apple are building them too, but now that their is competition and is open source prone for attacks and break downs from cheap hardware, they are the ones that will fail as a rock solid iPad with newer smarter features will out do these others. That is why people talk about the next release because they know it's going to be better and are excited and can't wait.

Said to much and went way off track? I agree but I think I've put in a solid thought that the original poster asked for and made it into a journey. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it I'll say no more.

andjoh

Last edited:

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here is something else i notice that alot of the people are selling there ipad because of it not beening able to do computer base programs ..Where did they get the thoughts in there little head that the ipad was going to replace the computer in the house .

It comes down to the individual's expectations as well as how he or she uses the iPad. I think, after all, there are far fewer people who are so dissatisfied with the iPad that they're selling it off, compared to the vast majority who are absolutely delighted and perfectly content with it.

And speaking for myself, since getting the iPad I have been using the laptop/desktop much lesser, and sitting at a desk less often. If not for the fact that I need iTunes to manage iPod/iPhone/iPad, I would have eventually phased them out. (Could still happen.)

Wakawaka

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't understand the big deal..

I personaly buy products that I USE. If I bought an iPad the day before they officialy announce the iPad 2 and specs, then maybe I'd return mine and wait for the iPad 2.

But in todays day an age.. buy now, worry later. Upgrades will always come. In a matter of time. So enjoy the current time.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad is a new era in handheld devices. What makes it so popular is that it created a market that the public did not realize was there. It did not just come out of the blue, but was a part of a master plan that has been years in the making. No one else had the spheres to put this on the market with the components to make it work for users.

What gets me is how people can be idiots. There was no MP3 player making any headways until Apple brought out the iPod. The market was owned by Sony, but they did not have what was needed to make it big like they did the Walkman. Yet, all you hear from many, is the gripes about iTunes which made it work. Then Apple ignored the experts that said that a computer company could not compete with the big boys like Nokia and Motorola in the cell phone arena. Now you cannot find a cell phone that is not trying to copy the iPhone. Yet, everyone gripes about how AT&T ruins the iPhone experience, etc. Now that Verizon has the iPhone, they are finding that Verizon is not all that great either.

If you buy an iPad, and it does not do things you want, ask whose fault is that? Apple was up front with most about what it could and could not do. Jobs has said from the beginning that it could not replace a computer, but was meant to be a device that fed from a computer, like the iPod and iPhone. Those who question why it will not do things without a computer, question why you failed to read the literature before you spent that much money.

zorah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Seadog said:
The iPad is a new era in handheld devices. What makes it so popular is that it created a market that the public did not realize was there. It did not just come out of the blue, but was a part of a master plan that has been years in the making. No one else had the spheres to put this on the market with the components to make it work for users.

What gets me is how people can be idiots. There was no MP3 player making any headways until Apple brought out the iPod. The market was owned by Sony, but they did not have what was needed to make it big like they did the Walkman. Yet, all you hear from many, is the gripes about iTunes which made it work. Then Apple ignored the experts that said that a computer company could not compete with the big boys like Nokia and Motorola in the cell phone arena. Now you cannot find a cell phone that is not trying to copy the iPhone. Yet, everyone gripes about how AT&T ruins the iPhone experience, etc. Now that Verizon has the iPhone, they are finding that Verizon is not all that great either.

If you buy an iPad, and it does not do things you want, ask whose fault is that? Apple was up front with most about what it could and could not do. Jobs has said from the beginning that it could not replace a computer, but was meant to be a device that fed from a computer, like the iPod and iPhone. Those who question why it will not do things without a computer, question why you failed to read the literature before you spent that much money.

Amen! And furthermore, even if people are not smart enough to think before they buy, then return the thing or eBay it. I knew the specs before I got mine. I also knew the second generation was on its way. And I'm enjoying mine all the way and each day find something new it does. And will continue to enjoy my first generation well after the 2nd one hits the shelves.

Spink10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Man I just sold my brand new desktop to buy an iPad and now I can't even start my ipad without a computer. Stupid apple.

j/k

:)~

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Alleygata

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I want what I have and that way I enjoy it rather than always wanting what I don't have. My iPad is the cheapest one but I'm grateful I even have one. So for me I won't be looking at upgrading but rather looking at enjoying what I have even more. That's one of the pleasures I've learned from being in a lower income bracket. LOL

Most reactions

Latest posts