What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IPad am i missing why its so great?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jago25_98

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was very excited to finally get my ipad2.

I didnt get one before because they seemed very expensive and without a webcam i didnt think id use it much. I gave up waiting for a display that wouldnt give eyestrain.

At first i was having so much fun with it. The keyboard was the best suprise, i can type quite fast. But now i come to actually try and do something useful with it im finding big limitations in the most basic of things.

For example (these are just a few):

Im reading a website forum and some people post diagnostic files as txt files. I cant seem to find a way to read these.
I also find it very hard to transfer files to and from the device. It seems as if its diliberately crippled to stop filesharing. For example, dropbox can only upload videos and pictures.
I also cant ssh into my server.

While there are paid for apps im not going to pay because i will sell it now. These things seem quite basic to me.
I also dont like the whole having to doubt tap the button to close apps.

They say 'it isnt a computer replacement', but for me what tosh, if thats true then its a toy. I admit it is a better way of doing things than a computer, it has shown how things can be better, but i cant stand the diliberate crippling of basic functions in this way.

I guess if i was keeping it i would just root it and hopefully bypass all my annouyances. For example i had to get a best buy guy to activate because i bought it on holiday hoping to use it like a laptop. Ive never used itunes before and they just expect me to have it. Now i find that its supposed to be used on the couch, whats the real advantage in that? Answer - there is no real advantage, its just an expensive toy.

The whole thing is a bit silly because there are so many things you can do with it. Its just really annoying when you start using it like a computer this way and then something thats not possible, and its especially annoying if youre in an airport and reallly need to get something done.

Part of all this is that, as much as i admire and love the slickness of apple products im a linux user so i expect things from that field, so i come to like apple for its utility sometimes but also hate that apple smell, if you know what i mean which is unfair really. I love it... But i also hate it!

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use it on a daily basis for my business needs and I've never experienced any of the problems that you've mentioned. I have no trouble uploading or downloading files, reading text files, using it to process Office files - Word, PowerPoint and Excel - accessing my PC via a secure link. I sit for many hours in airport lounges and now never take my laptop. If, on occasion, I need something from my PC or to do something the iPad can't do (yes, of course, there are some things) then I simply use an RDP program such as Splashtop and log in to my PC over WiFi or 3G.

If it doesn't suit you then, fine, I would sell it and continue with your laptop. But for 200, 000 people each and every day who buy the iPad it's a perfect tool for business and leisure.

Tim

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Though I do everything you claim not to be able to do, every single day - the iPad is clearly not the right device for you.

Sell it and buy something else. You will be much happier.

-t

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts