What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's the last movie you saw?

Iriana

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The 3D effect can cause motion sickness. For many people, their sense of equilibrium depends on the stability of horizontal sight lines. Three dimensional movies causes you to sense the changes in these sight lines which can make you feel dizzy and this can make you feel like vomiting. This is my very simply explanation. Here is a more detailed explanation from Wikipedia: Motion sickness - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They film them with two lenses set so far apart. If your eyes fall into a narrow range of distance between them you are ok, otherwise your brain is trying to adjust to an image separation that is not quite right based on a lifetime of training with your eye location.

This sounds like a possibility for me and 3D queasiness:

<< The most common theory for the cause of simulation sickness is that the illusion of motion created by the virtual world, combined with the absence of motion detected by the inner ear, causes the area postrema in the human brain to infer that one is hallucinating and further conclude that the hallucination is due to poison ingestion. The brain responds by inducing nausea and mass vomiting, to clear the supposed toxin.[7] According to this theory, simulation sickness is just another form of motion sickness. >>

Because I don't get motion sickness otherwise -- I can read during long car trips, ride roller coasters, sky dive, take long car and plane trips, etc., all of which make my husband queasy. The weird thing is, he has no trouble watching 3D movies or playing video games.

One time in Hawaii, we took a helicopter ride and then were picked up by car for a very winding drive that lasted about 1.5 hours. He ended up spending the whole ride with his head in a bag. Meanwhile, I was enjoying the scenery and snacks (though I felt bad for him). I even ate his share, lol.
Thank you for telling me. :)

Last edited:

MemphisMark

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The 3D effect can cause motion sickness. For many people, their sense of equilibrium depends on the stability of horizontal sight lines. Three dimensional movies causes you to sense the changes in these sight lines which can make you feel dizzy and this can make you feel like vomiting. This is my very simply explanation. Here is a more detailed explanation from Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motion_sickness

When I was in the Navy, we would have fun with the newbs. We tied a string to the overhead, and then suspended an orange ping-pong ball half full of water about an inch above a workbench. We then painted an orange circle right underneath where it was at rest.

While underway, the ball would move was the ship moved. If you sat and watched it as it swayed back and forth over the "at rest" circle, it would exacerbate any queasiness you would have, until you hurled.

I also had a shipmate who was a submariner. His boat was forced to stay on the surface for three days for whatever reason. The only way to stabilize the boat was to use the wings on the sail, but since they were above water, they didn't work. The boat was rocking considerable amounts. So, the crew held a contest. Who could hurl the quietest, because when one person started, the rest of the shop quickly followed suit.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The 3D effect can cause motion sickness. For many people, their sense of equilibrium depends on the stability of horizontal sight lines. Three dimensional movies causes you to sense the changes in these sight lines which can make you feel dizzy and this can make you feel like vomiting. This is my very simply explanation. Here is a more detailed explanation from Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motion_sickness

This sounds on the money, I've always been a dizzy lizzy. 3D is most definitely out as are home movies, as there's just so much jiggling people do trying to film anything. I can't go on any sideshow rides, the only time I did, I threw up all over the cabin, which didn't amuse the others on the same ride, I made as quick an exit as I could which isn't easy when you're lurching side to side.

It's not just motion either that can cause it, I once walked through Einsteins House at Movie World, it was all visual illusions that made me feel as if I was on a boat. Boats are bad too, although fisherman don't mind someone throwing up, it just attracts more fish. ;)

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Despicable Me

Two thumbs up, funny, funny and enjoyable. It has everything, from Ballet to Squids to space travel.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I started watching MASH last night, but didn't have time to finish it. Hopefully today will suffice.

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Okay is that the original tv series or is there a film? I saw episodes of old one.

Sent from my new iPad using iPF

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Okay is that the original tv series or is there a film? I saw episodes of old one.

Sent from my new iPad using iPF

This is the original movie. The TV series was based on it. Gary Burghoff, as Radar was the only member of the movie cast to appear in the TV series.

Most reactions

Latest posts