What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Very disappointed with ios 4.2

BrennB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Obligatory Public service Announcement: WEP is very easy to crack. There are many articles posted around the web on how to hack it's encryption keys. Do not use WEP unless your router provides no other choice.

WPA2 is much more secure, just as fast as WEP and available on most modern hardware.

Just a friendly piece of advice trying to make the Internet safer, one device at a time. ;)

Well Shitums ~ now I wanna know what I have! How do I find out?

Sorry for the mini-hi-jack. Wrecklass's fault.:D

I'm definitely no expert on security but when I used wep I had a big long series of letters and numbers and when I used wap2 I got to choose a phrase as the key...

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPadMomma: your iPad really got slower? If anything, my experience has been faster and smoother. The only ver minor "lag" that I see in when opening a folder, and it's maybe 1/10th of a second.

Try reinstalling.

BrennB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPadMomma: your iPad really got slower? If anything, my experience has been faster and smoother. The only ver minor "lag" that I see in when opening a folder, and it's maybe 1/10th of a second.

Try reinstalling.

That's what I'm thinking. These posts of troubles cropping up after upgrade makes me think a redo is the answer, kinda like when an update goes sour on the Blackberry... Makes sense to just redo and see if the kinks are worked out..

indychuck

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Check open apps

just a thought, but double click your home button and see how many apps are open. I just tried mine and there were 20 plus things open. It may be that some of the slowness ow wifi issues are related to "multitasking" leaving them open. they no longer really close like they did in iOS 3.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
just a thought, but double click your home button and see how many apps are open. I just tried mine and there were 20 plus things open. It may be that some of the slowness ow wifi issues are related to "multitasking" leaving them open. they no longer really close like they did in iOS 3.

They were probably not actually open. The switcher is more accurately described as a "recently used apps switcher." Alas you can't tell what is really open or not. I can, as I am jailbroken, but unfortunately there is no "app is running or still in RAM" badge if you are not jailbroken.

There is not enough RAM on the iPad to keep much open, assuming background operation of fast switching is even supported in the app.

So with a stock iPad it is just best to let the OS handle it and if it is sluggish a full reboot every now and then should clean out any cobwebs.

Michael

Vatundra1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tag me for another unhappy user of 4.x...
my Wifi is undeniably slower with the new os. My HP laptop (4 yrs old) was always slower at web browsing and such than the ipad. We did a side x side test last night and tried to load yahoo.com from both the laptop and ipad....safari never did load the page and the laptop it popped right up. Both are connected to the same home network router. (Verizon). I've reset the router and the laptops are still running smooth. Ipad - not so much. I'm going to try some of the "easy" fixes i've seen here to see if performance on the ipad returns to normal.

limey-g

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Count me as one of those with problems, my wifi is much slower after the upgrade, in fact if things do not improve then I can see myself firing up the laptop until a solution is found.
Geoff

hookbill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Count me as one of those with problems, my wifi is much slower after the upgrade, in fact if things do not improve then I can see myself firing up the laptop until a solution is found.
Geoff

Well, you might end up doing that. It's hard to find a solution to an undefined problem that the majority of us are not experiencing.

Have you tried resetting your wifi to see if a new sync helps?

Vatundra1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is what I tried tonight:
Reset network settings
Forget network
Reset router.

I'm still getting intermittent signal. Wifi signal indicator shows full bars. Speedtest app has drastic differences. (anywhere between 8mgb down to actually timing out)
May have to go back to the old os.
Speaking of which.... How would i go about doing that. Never had to do it with any of the apple products i have.

Screen shot from dslreports:

DSLReports.com Speed/latency test
best for mobile browsers
How is your mobile device connected?

Latency:*1136ms 8053ms* 56ms* 62ms* 1137ms* 1048ms* 20638ms* 47ms* 50ms* 52ms
Speed: 560kbps
132 ms
675 samples

Last edited:

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have you tried restoring the iPad? Something might have got messed up during the install. By restoring I don't mean rebooting it, I mean completely wiping it and starting from scratch essentially.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have you tried restoring the iPad? Something might have got messed up during the install. By restoring I don't mean rebooting it, I mean completely wiping it and starting from scratch essentially.
Yes and to be clear.... then setup as new... no restore from previous backup.

Michael

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes and to be clear.... then setup as new... no restore from previous backup.

Michael

How do you do that though, Michael, because won't iTunes just put back all of your stuff that it has right back on the iPad?

I restored once, but I don't recall how I did it.:eek:

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When you restore you have the option of setting it up as a "new" iPad or restoring from your iTunes library. Select new, and then add your iTunes and app libraries later.

Vatundra1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
***Update***
The iPad seems to be up and running again. After reading here and other forums, this was what i did tonight:

Changed the network settings to "static ip"
Entered an ip address that was not in use
Changed the dns server number to googles public dns server 8.8.8.8
Powered off the iPad and then did a simple sync with iTunes.

I've used the app store, abc player, you tube... And all seem to be running well. Safari seems to be loading quickly and the pages come up fairly well.

So far so good. We'll see how it does for the next few hours. Hopefully this works until apple releases a "patch"

Hopes this helps someone, and thanks to all of you that have posted here and elsewhere to help me out.

**update***
Ipad is still running like normal after the changes listed above. I'm getting good signal, smooth data flow and consistent speed results. At this time, I will say this "fix" has worked for me. Haven't tried it on any other networks besides my home wifi...

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts