What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Upgrade to 4.2 beta without registered UDID

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can someone please PM me the link to 4.2 beta 2? Im feeling kinda Bold today..lol. I know i can google it but will bring up a ton of hits. I dont want to learn the hard way of going to a bad site to download. ;-). I already have the tiny umbrella program saved on ipad, which i will email to my desktop. I just want to go to a site where other fellow members went to get theirs. So ill know for sure itll work.
I cant lie. I am truly missing the multitasking that i had on 3.2.1 when i was jailbroke. I was using backgrounder. I know apples new multitasking isnt as true as backgrounder but i need somethin..lmao.
When in November did Apple say the update is coming? Im Ready for it now!

Hi i feel sorry for you lahhh :)) , but many of us get it bekoze they are developer or have one around them …. the other than this they look around GooGoo :) …

Many developer don’t want to spray their firmware as they can be punished by Apple

You don’t need tiny umbrella if you do the right procedure … have some post about how to update …. Yet the 4.2b2 work not so bad but some function have little bug

Good luck lah

Thnkx for the response but Hmm... I couldve sworn i saw developer code no longer needed. Or if it is needed, that u can use a hacked os or somethin. Ill google around but im pretty sure not everyone running the new beta is a developer or knows one. Mayb it was a few pages back. Ill look into it somemore. Shatter needs to hurry with this new jailbrake. Im going loco..lol

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you verrry much. I made sure to bookmark it. Appreciate it. Is something special needed to use torrent or open it? I never used torrent files b4. Or is it jist like a zip file ormsomethin?
Thnkx again. Cork n Ipadone

I just looked further, thats a site for official downloads for the beta. Udid has to be registerd with developers. Im trying to find a hacked version that i dont need any udid registering done. Still a good find. Defintely bookmarked.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cork

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Trust me, I am not a developer and I have 4.2 running on my iPad. My UDID is not registered. This is where I downloaded it yesterday and it worked.

Hope that helps.

Cork

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Trust me, I am not a developer and I have 4.2 running on my iPad. My UDID is not registered.

Hope that helps.

Cork

It does help. Thnkx a lot. I might do it tonight. Either way..wish me luck..lol

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry guys do not provide links regard 4.2 upgrades beta as we have to many users having problems doing it. Links of this nature are not allowed in the forums.

Cheers col

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry guys do not provide links regard 4.2 upgrades beta as we have to many users having problems doing it. Links of this nature are not allowed in the forums.

Cheers col

Oh ok. I didnt know. My fault Cork. Not trying to get anyone in trouble up here. I was just curious. Good thing i already bookmarked that site...lol. I might as well just wait the few weeks for official update. Im just soooo Anxious for multitasking and folders. Sorry for the mix up again.
What i can do is find a way to downgrade. When i first jailbroke on 3.2.1 i saved the ssh files on Cydia. It told me it was backed up. BUT now that im not jailbroken on 3.2.2i dont know how or where to go to access that file. Time to thread search, i guess :confused: i posted b4 on it but was a lil while back and i had forgot about it.

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Cheers col

Oh ok. I didnt know. My fault Cork. Not trying to get anyone in trouble up here. I was just curious. Good thing i already bookmarked that site...lol. I might as well just wait the few weeks for official update. Im just soooo Anxious for multitasking and folders. Sorry for the mix up again.
What i can do is find a way to downgrade. When i first jailbroke on 3.2.1 i saved the ssh files on Cydia. It told me it was backed up. BUT now that im not jailbroken on 3.2.2i dont know how or where to go to access that file. Time to thread search, i guess :confused: i posted b4 on it but was a lil while back and i had forgot about it.

Hi if you get some warning just get the RecBoot magic tool and your precious will wake up well

Concerning the firmware witch one you want ?? the 4.2 (beta2) or the 3.2.1 ???

if it’s the beta look around some torrent (but not that safe) or look in some forum for developer maybe you can have a luck by there

@ Colin , i think in that case you are not so right as is not really against the Apple rule … if we talk about JB or App’s pirated i am at 300% on your side … but concerning the beta is up to everybody to decide what they want to do as their own risk … Since we made clear … i didn’t think is a prohibited subject

if one member have found a safe Firmware why not share with others …. or in reverse a bad one

PS: that’s only my opinion , my gran-ma told me : too much rule kill the rule

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can't speak for Colin (he is quite capable of doing that for himself!), but I think his "request" (and remember, he is a moderator!) to refrain from posting "alternate" sources of the iOS beta is not coming from a legal point of view, but rather that many people here, well, quite frankly, do not posses the necessary computer literacy to perform the upgrade and handle potential issues that might arise, up to and including "downgrading" back to the current iOS.

If someone is not a developer or has not had their UDID registered by a developer and is asking how to acquire the iOS 4.2 beta by some other means, then you know darn good and well, that person is going to be back here wanting someone to hold their hand and walk them through step by step the upgrading (and possible downgrading) process.

Its just like those posts that begin, "I have never owned an Apple device before. I just bought an iPad and I need to jailbreak it. How do I do it?" You know as well as I that this is a train wreck waiting to happen and I think that is what he is trying to avoid... I think... but I could be wrong!

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks I could not have said it better and I speak for all moderators not just my self. 1991 is spot on no we should not have to baby sit we are running a forum not a child care centre and frankly the number of users from the forum that got into trouble installing beta 4.2 seems endless We have 17,000 members not to mention thousands of visitors and that is why we are stopping the links. The other point several parts are not implemented many apps are crashing, I have 6 that I know off. Developers need to upgrade there apps to support os4 multitasking
One example is early addition news app which I reported as a total crash

Glass house Apps sent this message when I advised them of the issue.
Regarding Early Addition yes this is a known crashing bug. We're working on a few new improvements in the next version as well as support for 4.2, which will be submitted sometime in the next few weeks. Any way that is an example. So our advise is wait until gold release however if you choose not to wait that's your call

This is a copy of the rules:
17. Links to upgrades for BETA software will be deleted. User will receive one warning. A second warning will lead to being banned.

Cheers col

Last edited:

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
why dont you guys just register for app developer and just download the 4.2?
Here is the main reason that most of the people here are not developers --

ios.jpg

After all, the motto of a true hacker is, "Only suckers pay for software!" If there is a way to get something for free, they'll find it.

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I didnt mean to start a debate over this. I will wait for official upgrade. In the meantime im going to use tiny umbrella to find my shsh blobs. When i jailbroke on 3.2.1 i saved it on Cydia(make my life easier). It was completed. At first i didnt know how to go about finding the blob, but now i know. ;-). Its just a matter of me going thru the process. Which is seeming very unlikely because my desktop is a dinosaur. Very frustrating using it cuz it takes so damn long to load up each page or always freezin up or whatever. Thats why i hate using itunes on pc to do transfers also. Just takes toooo long. I always try to find a backdoor or other ways of doing stuff up here on my ipad.
Also, once again, sorry Cork, i didnt know the rule about beta links or i wouldve never asked. I hope he didnt get in trouble over that cuz i feel he was just trying to help me out. I understand the details of the rules now.
I understand where Col n 1991C4 coming from. They are right. Most people coming on this forum arent capable yet of doing install w/o issues, yet. I know i can do it but ususally always leary of stuff like that. Not trying to freeze up my $500 device over couriosity. Remember, Couriosity killed the Cat. Lol.

Cork

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I didnt mean to start a debate over this. (snip)
Also, once again, sorry Cork, i didnt know the rule about beta links or i wouldve never asked.

No Worries, man. I read the rules, but the Beta exclusion did not register - my fault entirely. Colin was quite gracious in his communications with me, and all is well. I understand and fully support the Forum's position on the subject.

As for 4.2, the folders are nice, the multi-tasking might be useful in some cases, but when all is said and done you really aren't missing much. I've played with 4.2 for a couple of days and I'm likely going to revert to 3.2.2 when I have a free moment. I have a couple of applications that can't handle 4.2 yet, and while no app is critical for me (my iPad is a toy) I rather miss one of those apps.

Panamera

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gentlefury, seriously. It does work, my iPad is living proof. If you command- click restore, yes, it will not work and you will be forced to downgrade to 3.2.2, i know from first hand, but if you command-click update, it does work. When you have a spare 5 minutes, back up and try it. It works and there are many many other ipad owners who are experiencing the same thing. I am currently running iOS 4.2 beta 1 and I don't have a developers account. I will defend this with my life! Someone, please try it!!!

Do you know if that method works with the iPod touch 2G version of the iOS 4.2 Beta?? :confused:

lagtastic

iPF Noob
Reaction score
greetings all. moved up to 4.2b2 but want to downgrade back to 3.2.2 but having errors trying to restore. i'm getting the:

"There was a problem downloading the software for the iPad "iPad". The requested resource was not found."

can the problem be happening because this is a newer iPad that already came with 3.2.2, hence no 3.2.2 entry was ever created for:

C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPad Software Updates

so since the iPad thinks that the only software resource is now only 4.2 and so giving me the restore error.

could someone zip up their "iPad Software Updates" and attach it if you have it or can someone tell me where i can download it?

tia

Most reactions

Latest posts