What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TUTORIAL - Jailbreak the iPad2 on 5.0.1 with Absinthe

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello,

I have seen on pc iTunes the button to "restore iPad" ... After the hopefully successful jail brake, how we re-load everything was backed up in the pc?

that "restore iPad" means, it will restore to a stock firmware again(jailbreak gone).

this "restore from backup" is what you need!!

right click on your iPad in iTunes in left pane(pop up window appears).....

images

when you are jailbroken, don't restore or update iPad.
Sync all you want!!

briday

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all,
I still have the message (a configuration error occurred) when turning on VPN
could you please help?

thanks!

omiez

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I saw there is absynthe 0.4. Can i use this new version or is the one in first page recomended?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I saw there is absynthe 0.4. Can i use this new version or is the one in first page recomended?

Always use the latest version listed for download at the referenced link. In this case, the most current is version 4.0.

And, thanks for asking - I'll update the first post...

Marilyn

vdonatiello

iPF Noob
Reaction score
right click on your iPad in iTunes in left pane(pop up window appears).....

images
just to make sure (i am quiet nervous preparing for my first jail break) you meant: right click on your PC in iTunes ... right?

many thanks for your reply

Vito

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
just to make sure (i am quiet nervous preparing for my first jail break) you meant: right click on your PC in iTunes ... right?

many thanks for your reply

Vito

Yes, that is what is meant.

Just remember, this "restore from backup" happens AFTER your jailbreak with Absinthe. You want to have that iPad as empty as possible to make the jail break go as rapidly as possible (and head off any potential errors).

Good luck.

Marilyn

P.S. You'll be FINE! Yeah, it's a bit nerve-wracking the first time (I had butterflies the size of elephants in my stomach the first time I went to jailbreak my precious iPad!) ... but after a while, you'll be a pro! And, with Apple still signing iOS 5.0.1, if you make a mistake, you can always restore that iOS and start again. No worries! :D

salzbf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just did it less than 10 minutes. No problems, no delays - proverbial "piece of cake". I am new to Apple and the iPad.

iPad 2, 64GB, wifi, 5.0.1 - Jailbroken!

Ryoko

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Help I tried many times to jail break my ipad2 with absinthe version .4 with 5.0.1 as my iOS yet I get the following error from
Windows 7....." Absinthe.exe has stopped working....a problem caused the program to stop working correctly..." I have disabled my
Anti virus, ran the program set with winxp service pack2 admin settings, downloaded absinthe over 20 times from different links and web sites including the green poison web site, and I have used program back off while attempting to jb. I'm pulling my hair out. I
would appreciate any help. Thx.

salzbf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am running Windows 7 and had no problems with Absinthe. Does anyone know if Absinthe requires a particular version of Windows to load/run properly?

IHrVces

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Had to redo a second time but all went well.Just do exactly like it said for you, then you should have no problems.Can anyone tell what to do after its installed.Not sure where to start.

Last edited:

salzbf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
IHrVces said:
Had to redo a second time but all went well.Just do exactly like it said for you, then you should have no problems.Can anyone tell what to do after its installed.Not sure where to start.

Just a quick note if you live on Long Island, NY. If you have Cablevision there is a nice app that allows you to watch on your iPad any program you get on your TV set, only with a slight delay. BUT, if you jailbreak your iPad the app recognizes that and will NOT work, telling you that you are running an illegal OS. Bummer ... (salzbf)

Loaferian

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I followed all the steps and i think i have successfully jail broken my iPad 2. But now I seem to have lost the ability to play videos! When I tap on any of my saved Films I get the error "The requested URL was not found on this server". Also, I was trying to stream video from the BBC iplayer app into my TV using a connector cable (which used to work), but now all I get is sound with no picture on the TV. I figured I needed to change the settings for video output from NTSC to PAL (which fixed the problem before I jail broke it) but now the Video settings to allow this has disappeared from my settings menu! How do I get this video output settings option back again?
At the moment, I'm not convinced about the jail breaking as it only seems to have caused problems... :(
Please advice! Thanks.

tonybymeta

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I am new member, Tony :)
Is still valid a.m. tutorial for IPAD2 GSM IOS 5.0.1? I'm trying to install Absinthe 4.0 without success... can anyone help me?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, this is still a good and valid tutorial for using Absinthe to jail break your iPad.

What is happening that it doesn't work for you? Please let us know and then maybe we can figure out what can fix it.

I can tell you that Absinthe works best if you have a fresh iOS 5.0.1 loaded with no apps or data loaded (you can always restore from backup after the jail break is done). The closer you can get that iPad to a "new, fresh out-of-the-box" state, the better.

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts