What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TUTORIAL - Jailbreak the iPad2 and iPad3 on 5.1.1 With Absinthe 2.0

seamus517

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My JB (2.04) process appears to have stopped at the Waiting to Reboot step. The bar hasn't moved in about 20 minutes.

However, the iPad itself appears normal, and Cydia even appears installed (the icon is there but I have not pressed it).

I did a clean DFU 5.1.1 install, then iTunes asked me which restore to use, I selected a recent one then stopped it as soon it started so I could JB over a relatively clean install.

Should I continue to wait? Or do you think it's JB and I can hit cydia, then restore from iTunes to get my apps and files?

dark_knight

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hi marilyn, thanks for the detailed guide, as well as helping out the community here :)

i'm new to this forum and would like to get some advice on an issue that myself and some friends have encountered after using the Absinthe jailbreak.

I have 2 iTunes accounts, and before the JB, i was able to update the apps on it without plugging it into a computer. If apps came from different accounts, there will be a prompt asking me for login details for that account.

after the JB, however, i am no longer prompted for login details for my U.S. store account - i.e. there is no way for me to update the apps without plugging it into a computer.

is there a workaround for this issue?

thank you!

satishmania

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Device in TSS queue

hi Marilyn.
I successfully jailbroke my Ipad 2,4 using the above tutorial. However when I load Cydia it says "this device is in the pending TSS queue". What does this mean and when will I be able to download apps from Cydia store for free?

Thanks,
Satish

OP
Mickey330

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
hi Marilyn.
I successfully jailbroke my Ipad 2,4 using the above tutorial. However when I load Cydia it says "this device is in the pending TSS queue". What does this mean and when will I be able to download apps from Cydia store for free?

Thanks,
Satish

Can you provide a screen shot of that notice? I don't remember seeing it before and maybe the screen shot will help jiggle my memory...

And now, for your "when [you] will be able to download apps from Cydia store for free?" question: If the apps (usually called tweaks) in Cydia are not free, then you can't get them for free, you will have to pay for them. The same goes for the apps in Apple's App Store - if they were not free before you jail broke your iPad, they are not free after your iPad is jail broken. You still have to pay for them.

Using a jail broken iPad to get paid apps for free is called piracy, is against this forum's policy and is illegal. So, I know you weren't intending to imply that you wanted to steal apps .... right?

Marilyn

OP
Mickey330

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
hi marilyn, thanks for the detailed guide, as well as helping out the community here :)

i'm new to this forum and would like to get some advice on an issue that myself and some friends have encountered after using the Absinthe jailbreak.

I have 2 iTunes accounts, and before the JB, i was able to update the apps on it without plugging it into a computer. If apps came from different accounts, there will be a prompt asking me for login details for that account.

after the JB, however, i am no longer prompted for login details for my U.S. store account - i.e. there is no way for me to update the apps without plugging it into a computer.

is there a workaround for this issue?

thank you!

I'm sorry, dark_knight, but I completely missed seeing this question. Apologies!

If you haven't found the answer, did you try logging in and out of the particular App Store on your iPad before trying to update the app? You can log in/log out either through the App Store app or through the Settings app.

And, I don't really have any other suggestion because I only use one App Store and so can't duplicate your question to see what might could work.

So, I'm hoping you've found the answer, because that's all I've got. Sorry.

Marilyn

Vrishabh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Excuse me but can i know what the difference is between untethered and tethered ? which is the best one and which one is this jailbreak posted on page 1 ?

ralphkaz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Quick question - I'm getting an iPad3 delivered tomorrow and I'm hoping it will be on 5.1.1. Assuming it is, I should be able to just run Absinthe on it as soon as I take it out of the box, right? I've used Absinthe in the past but that was when Apple was still signing 5.1.1 which of course now they are not. So I assume Absinthe does not require anything from apple servers for the JB process, right? The only problem I might have is if I need to restore iOS totally in which case since there is no way to get the blobs I would have to go with the latest version (6), right?

Totallylagit

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Quick question - I'm getting an iPad3 delivered tomorrow and I'm hoping it will be on 5.1.1. Assuming it is, I should be able to just run Absinthe on it as soon as I take it out of the box, right? I've used Absinthe in the past but that was when Apple was still signing 5.1.1 which of course now they are not. So I assume Absinthe does not require anything from apple servers for the JB process, right? The only problem I might have is if I need to restore iOS totally in which case since there is no way to get the blobs I would have to go with the latest version (6), right?

Absinthe does not need apple to jailbreak. You should initial setup first. You shouldn't have any issues but in the case something fails, you will need to restore. And yes, you'll be stuck with iOS 6

ralphkaz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Absinthe does not need apple to jailbreak. You should initial setup first. You shouldn't have any issues but in the case something fails, you will need to restore. And yes, you'll be stuck with iOS 6

Great, thank you for confirming!

zuluwhiskeyfox

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well I did as suggested and still no jailbreak. It gets stuck at the waiting for reboot stage. It never reboots. I would rather be jailbroken on 5.0.1 than be not JB on 5.1.1

Well I finally got my iPad busted out of jail. It was a long road. Tried many different things. What eventually worked was:
-re-restore 5.1.1 using redsn0w 0,9,15b2 the appropriate ipsw file, and an shsh blob that was on Cydia from back when I was Jailbroken on 5,0,1
-after the first reboot I chose to restore as a new iPad, not from backup
-then jailbreak using Redsn0w 0,9,15b2

Shihid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi please help me guys , in my iPad 1 , on 5.1.1 . I restored I pad and jbed with obstinth , 2.0.4 ...cydia got disappeared , along with setting, and App Store .i restored again , i pad was working fine until , I jbed again and I clicked on cydia , and during opening of cydia it got disappeared again , thanks in advance , what to do ?

Most reactions

Latest posts