What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TUTORIAL - Jailbreak the iPad2 on 5.0.1 with Absinthe

Rivus

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I give up. I've tried everything. Restoring to 5.0.1 and resetting, jailbreaking with Absinthe (0.2 and 0.3) and CLI, tried on different computers (one with Win7 and one with XP). Last thing I am going to try is to JB with a Mac (even though, I'm pretty sure, it won't work). I have tried to follow nearly every guide I have found "out there in the internetS".

But the f*cking VPN switch still just gives an error and nothing else and the Absinthe web site is waiting there forever(left it for 2 hours, considering that it's a "fresh" iPad it should be an overkill), still, no restart\Cydia icon.

This thing is just damned. :(

Wolfhawker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How long does this take on the very last part, after unlocking. I have been sitting here for over an hour after the unlock and clicking the icon. The last screen comes up and sits there. Over an hour.

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Wolfhawker said:
How long does this take on the very last part, after unlocking. I have been sitting here for over an hour after the unlock and clicking the icon. The last screen comes up and sits there. Over an hour.

That last stage should only take about 30 seconds max. But you MUST make sure you have not disconnected the iPad from the Absinthe program on your PC. Lots of folks see the instruction to unlock their device and also disconnect it from the PC, which is an instant jailbreak fail...

Wolfhawker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That last stage should only take about 30 seconds max. But you MUST make sure you have not disconnected the iPad from the Absinthe program on your PC. Lots of folks see the instruction to unlock their device and also disconnect it from the PC, which is an instant jailbreak fail...

Cable has stay connected for over 10hrs now. It has been started twice (with the repair in-between). Except for when I started over, I never disconnected the cable. I tried the VPN fix before leaving it at the last stage @ 10 hours while I slept. So I assume that it went to sleep at some point because I had to re-un-lock this morning.

airplus

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, I just did it!!!!!!!
First I got the horrible message "You need admin rights to run this App"
I solved that by using my home computer with the Admin user.
then the Absithne .3 would crash at the beguining with the message "Absinthe.exe has stopped working"
I tried in XP, then W7, then vista and nothing. at the end I decided to wipe clean my ipad back to factory settings and to connect to itunes with a brand new name (no backup restore) like if it was new from the shop.
THAT DID THE TRICK!! the whole process took only 5 minutes end to end (I suppose because there were no data in the ipad)

good luck to everyone.

khaliq_rmc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hi... i am new to jb..
jst jailbroken my ipad2 3g last night...
when i open cydia application n try to install sumthing...
it said that "cannot locate package"..

can anyone help me..

iRuthlessPad

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I had earlier jb my ipad using the dos commands CLI...and it successfully jb...but now sometimes or after some usage of say 8 hrs if i want to move some icons from one panel to other, i am not able to do so. I press and hold the icons untill they wobble and keep holding them but the icon does not come OUT to move. I alwaz have to respring or reboot to get it working again and this cycle keeps repeating. I this happening with everyone?

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
iRuthlessPad said:
I had earlier jb my ipad using the dos commands CLI...and it successfully jb...but now sometimes or after some usage of say 8 hrs if i want to move some icons from one panel to other, i am not able to do so. I press and hold the icons untill they wobble and keep holding them but the icon does not come OUT to move. I alwaz have to respring or reboot to get it working again and this cycle keeps repeating. I this happening with everyone?

No. That's something wrong with a springboard tweak you have installed and nothing to do with the jailbreak.
And please post questions in the main section. This is a tutorial, and not even the one you used...
Posting in the right area and within the right thread helps keep existing threads on topic and assists others who may have the same problem as you to find help...
:)

Last edited:

nannybowes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am new to this iPad stuff. Please explain jail breaking. What would I use it for?

Wolfhawker

iPF Noob
Reaction score

KK, the Cable stayed on and attached and the process was active for over 10hrs (per my last response). I tried iPad resetting / restoring, and I tried iTunes resetting / restoring. Now I will wait to see if anyone else have any answers.

Most reactions

Latest posts