What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TUTORIAL - Jailbreak the iPad2 on 5.0.1 with Absinthe

melati

iPF Noob
Reaction score
airplus said:
Ok, I just did it!!!!!!!
First I got the horrible message "You need admin rights to run this App"
I solved that by using my home computer with the Admin user.
then the Absithne .3 would crash at the beguining with the message "Absinthe.exe has stopped working"
I tried in XP, then W7, then vista and nothing. at the end I decided to wipe clean my ipad back to factory settings and to connect to itunes with a brand new name (no backup restore) like if it was new from the shop.
THAT DID THE TRICK!! the whole process took only 5 minutes end to end (I suppose because there were no data in the ipad)

good luck to everyone.

Thanks man.. You help a lot . I tried like 5 or 6 times but it keeps on "absinthe.exe has stopped working". Tried on 3 different laptops, but no use.. So, i did like what you wrote. Restore with no backup and it completed about 20 minutes. But now I'm kind of having problems with my iPad keep on restarting by itself, and I have to click "exit save mode" every time it happens.. Still trying to solve it.. :)

Gfinch

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How Long is "A While" (Nervous)

I am trying my first Jailbreak on iPad 2 64GB 3G. Have about 27GB free on the ipad when I did a backup earlier. Using absinthe 0.3 downloaded tonight. It has been on "Beginning Jailbreak" for over 1 hour. My question is how long is a while when it says this may take a while? When do I decide there is a problem? Getting late and I have to get up in the morning and I NEED my iPad. HA! why did I start this tonight? Because I am a truck driver and had internet tonight is why.

Hoping for a quick answer so I will know if I need to restore my iPad before bed. Any help?

iRager

iPF Novice
Reaction score
@Gfinch

This is straight from the first post of this thread:
f4780y said:
Finally, before you start, consider how much data you currently have on your iPad and the resources available on your PC. This jailbreak utilises a vulnerability in the Backup and Restore process. Therefore in order to complete the jailbreak Absinthe will perform a backup and restore of your iPad's data. This raises a couple of important issues...

If you are feeling up to it, the best way to proceed is to backup your iPad (on iCloud or iTunes), use iTunes to restore a fresh install of 5.0.1 (make sure you read the fist part of this preparation to know whether you can do this or not!) and then jailbreak. Once the JB is done in a few minutes you can then restore your device backup and all your apps and settings will be put back as they should be!
Seeing that you have 27GB left on your 64GB iPad the best thing to do would be to backup your iPad

Restore to stock 5.0.1 (make sure apple is still signing 5.0.1)

Then jailbreak using Absinthe and finally restore from your backup

Gfinch

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I did come to that conclusion. I checked task manager and there were no CPU cycles being used by Absinthe so I closed then restored from IOS 5.1 and Jailbroke it in minutes. Hooray!! It is restoring now all my apps etc.

Now if someone can tell me where the directory is in Windows 7 that Absinthe stuck 10 Gigs on my hard drive I will be grateful. Lol

coolkirsten

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks so. Inch for this help! But on the last stage where it says click on the absinthe icon, I done that but nothing happens, it doesn't work ;( it just comes up and then says wait for absinthe to complete?? Help please

coolkirsten

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've tried doing this again now! But my VPN isn't turned on and if I press to turn it on, it says a configuration error occurred please help me :S

vdonatiello

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello,

I have a dumb question, sorry for pouring out ...

I do understand that the best way should be back up my iPad2 to pc via iTunes, the restore it to factory setting, being "virgin" the jail brake process should be faster and smoother, then re-load all app and data from pc back to jail broken iPad ... Is that right?

I have seen on pc iTunes the button to "restore iPad" ... After the hopefully successful jail brake, how we re-load everything was backed up in the pc?

I am conscious about this backing up restore things, if I fail jail brake at least I hope not to loose my files ...

Thanks

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
When you are all done with the jail break - you then just plug the iPad in to iTunes. After the iPad is recognized, right click on its line and select "restore from backup" and pick your most recent backup (if you get a choice). This will not "ruin" your jailbreak, it will just put everything back the way it was before the jailbreak. In fact, if you never get anything from Cydia, the only way you'd know you have a jail break is the presence of that Cydia icon. So, no worries...

Oh, by "finish jail break," I mean that you've been to Cydia the first time, its loaded all the default repos/tweaks and you've gone back to Cydia to register as a User. Then, you're fully done with the jail break.

Hope this clarifies.

Marilyn

vdonatiello

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Right not (I never jail break before and I never reset to default) I see the option, under my device, "restore to factory setting" ...
After I do restore, I suppose I will presented with the new option to "restore to back up", is that right?
Thanks

(I haven't done before and I am little nervous ... By the way, I take advantages, is there any specific rules regarding if need to first open iTunes in the pc and connect or viceversa?)

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here's a step-by-step for reassurance:

1) Do a backup in iTunes of your iPad (this is very important - make SURE you have a good backup before going any further!). After iTunes and the back-up is done, shut down iTunes, but leave the iPad plugged in

2) Go to Settings on stock/non-jailbroken iPad. You'll be at the General tab. Scroll down until you see the Reset line. Press it and then select the option to "Erase All Content and Settings."

3) At some point in the process, you'll see the white Apple logo as the iPad reboots (this will take a while and I am not sure when it happens). Or - it may very well tell you to plug it into iTunes. I am sorry I can't be more explicit on how you know when to open iTunes, I did this a while ago and I've forgotten. I know that you'll know when...

4) When you get the notice, open iTunes. You should get a pop-up that tells you that you need to restore the iPad. Follow iTunes' instructions to restore the iPad as a new device; do NOT restore from backup! Your goal is to get the iPad up and running with NONE of your stuff on it - will make Absinthe run better.

5) Once the iPad is like new, just as if you got it from the Apple Store, close iTunes and then open/run Absinthe.

From there, just follow the instructions I mention in post #86 above to start and finish the jailbreak. Then, you can put that backup you made in step one (in this post) back on the iPad, as I mentioned in the post above.

Hope this reassures. It sounds complicated, but it truly works well. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Marilyn

vdonatiello

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for your time Marilyn

ipad_backup.jpg

as you said i am trying to make sure i have a GOOD back up first ... is the click in this screenshot right? do i need to sync also contacts and emails (i dont use a mail client, only yahoo and gmail within email ipad client?

many thanks indeed

Vito

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yep, that's good. By the way - by good back-up, I only mean that it gets done with iTunes with no errors. As long as iTunes gives no errors - you're fine.

The backup will also save your contact info, so there's no worries there. And, I believe iTunes will also back up your emails, too. I know for sure it will back up your settings. But, if the actual e-mails are on the server, it won't matter if it doesn't...

I have been restoring from back-ups for more than a year, now. So far, knock on wood, all the data has been as I expected.

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts