What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TUTORIAL - Jailbreak the iPad2 on 5.0.1 with Absinthe

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, one of the things I've seen (when I Google this error) is there is a problem with the USB ports on the computer. Some things to check are: Are you using a 2.0 USB port (not a 1.0 one)? If you have 2.0 USB ports, are all the drivers up to date?

It may also be that you need to have the iPad plugged directly into the computer - as in, don't use a USB dock or hub.

See if any of those things help. If not, come on back and we'll see what else it might be. Good luck.

Marilyn

flamey112

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It worked fine before the jailbreak..so i know its not my USB port(house computer)... My ipad is synced to my home computer and I tried the USB plug into my laptop as well and it worked there...can u give me more options or ways to fix it?

Cybershaolin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi guys, great forum here. I just discovered you!

Please let me know about the steps as I’m at on my first Jailbreak here. I have an iPad 2 64GB Wifi only. Many apps installed, 15GB of music and 4 GB of pictures, some videos. I made a backup in Itunes.

1- I find the guide very clear, it’s just about the comments that I’m afraid a little bit. Many people say to restore to factory settings before starting, then jailbreak and then restore from backup. When you say at first: Restore to factory settings, do you mean the “Restore” button in iTunes or by doing a reset on the iPad itself? If it's in iTunes, wen you click on your device at left, then you see the resume of your iPad info at right with different sections as: iPad, Version, etc. So, under “Version” you have “Look for updates” and then “Restore”. Is that the “Restore” you are talking about?

2- Also, by doing that “Restore” will it go back to ios 4.x (was like that when I bought my iPad but I don't remember which ios version it was exactly, I just remember it was previous to ios 5) meaning I will have to update to 5.0.1 after, before jailbreaking? I'm also asking because my Internet connection is kind of very slow here. Is there another way for an alternative download method or is there another way to go? Should I try do jailbreak without restoring to factory settings in iTunes and just try to reset things on the iPad itself?

3- By doing the “Restore”, will I lose all my music, pictures, apps, etc? Will they be back after jailbreaking and restoring my iPad from backup at the end? I’m asking because they are talking about the fact that the restore from backup only brings back the calendar, contacts, mail, notes, etc. Does it mean that it’s not really the restore from backup that brings back all my stuff (music, apps, pictures) but when I will sync?

I don’t know if you can understand what I’m asking here (English is not my mother language).

Thanks for your time.

Sean1208

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm having a problem that I haven't seen mentioned yet, so I'll chime in and hope for some guidance. I downloaded absinthe and connected my iPad to the computer (running Vista) and the program doesn't recognize my device. What I mean is, I plug it in, and nothing happens. The Jailbreak button doesn't become clickable or anything. I tried resetting and going from scratch and had the same result. I tried it on my girlfriend's computer which I believe runs Windows 7 and had the same result. Am I out of luck for now, or is there a possible workaround that people have heard about? Thanks in advance guys and girls.

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
quick answers, gotta go.

I have an iPad 2 64GB Wifi only. Many apps installed, 15GB of music and 4 GB of pictures, some videos. I made a backup in Itunes.

1-then jailbreak and then restore from backup. When you say at first: Restore to factory settings, do you mean the “Restore†button in iTunes or by doing a reset on the iPad itself?
If it's in iTunes, wen you click on your device at left, then you see the resume of your iPad info at right with different sections as: iPad, Version, etc. So, under “Version†you have “Look for updates†and then “Restoreâ€. Is that the “Restore†you are talking about?

Once you have a backup, just try it the way it is.

2- Also, by doing that “Restore†will it go back to ios 4.x ....No, it will install the latest firmware available...5.0.1

I'm also asking because my Internet connection is kind of very slow here. Is there another way for an alternative download method or is there another way to go?

If you downloaded 5.0.1 before, it will still be in iTunes, and you can download that firmware from this site, and place it in the correct folder in iTunes, or shift+restore(windows iTunes).

3- By doing the “Restoreâ€, will I lose all my music, pictures, apps, etc? Will they be back after jailbreaking and restoring my iPad from backup at the end? I’m asking because they are talking about the fact that the restore from backup only brings back the calendar, contacts, mail, notes, etc. Does it mean that it’s not really the restore from backup that brings back all my stuff (music, apps, pictures) but when I will sync?

If you have the music and pictures/videos on your computer, don't worry...add it again, Camera roll is in the backup.

flamey112

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, one of the things I've seen (when I Google this error) is there is a problem with the USB ports on the computer. Some things to check are: Are you using a 2.0 USB port (not a 1.0 one)? If you have 2.0 USB ports, are all the drivers up to date?

It may also be that you need to have the iPad plugged directly into the computer - as in, don't use a USB dock or hub.

See if any of those things help. If not, come on back and we'll see what else it might be. Good luck.

Marilyn
I came home today, connected my ipod to make sure my computer was not at fault here, and then i realize i see my computer has to update one of its drivers..i let it update plug in ipod then ipad2 and they both work..TY!!!

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I came home today, connected my ipod to make sure my computer was not at fault here, and then i realize i see my computer has to update one of its drivers..i let it update plug in ipod then ipad2 and they both work..TY!!!

Hurray!

Glad to see its all sorted. And, appreciate the update - its always nice to hear back on the success stories.

Marilyn

rachuko

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Guys, I found in Apple forums the solution for this problem. I have just solved my problem following the followig steps:
Steps:

1. Download a copy of that diskaid. nice program anyway
    happy.gif
  2. Connect your ipad2 and go the folder "Media"
    You problay get a warning so
    click continue. You will enter the file system of the iPad
  3. At the most right screen you will find some files
    named:
    com.apple.dbaccess.lock
    com.apple.itdbprep.postprocess.lock
    com.apple.itunes.lock_sync
    com.apple.itunes.syncing
  4. Delete these above listed files as far you can find them !
  5. Now go the the folder itunes_control\iTunes
  6. Delete the files
    iTunesCDB
    iTunesLock
  7. disconnect you device
  8. Reset your device by holding the power en Home button for at least
    10seconds.

Rivus

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So.. I had an iPad 2 (GSM) with 4.3.3 on board and jailbroken.
I've backed up with iTunes, installed 5.0.1, reset it to factory settings, tried to JB,
but got stuck at the "Absinthe is now setting things up" screen.
Found out about the "VPN Fix".. Reset the iPad and started again.
As said, instead of opening the Absinthe app, I tried to activate the VPN.
Aaaand... Yes, I do get an error ("A configuration error occurred"), but no restart whatsoever.

Any ideas ? :(

Edit: Looked through many videos of tutorials.. Well, when I wait at the "Absinthe screen" I just get an ad below the logo.

Edit 2 : Just tried with CLI. While I set the cinject to listen (-w) and set the VPN toggle on, I get the following in the console window.

Jan 24 15:42:32 localhost profiled[144] <Notice>: (Note ) profiled: Service stopping.
Jan 24 15:43:17 localhost configd[14] <Notice>: IPSec connecting to server 127.0
Jan 24 15:43:17 localhost configd[14] <Notice>: IPSec Phase1 starting.
Jan 24 15:43:17 localhost configd[14] <Notice>: SCNC: start, triggered by Prefer
ences, type IPSec, status 0
Jan 24 15:43:17 localhost racoon[154] <Error>: __SCPreferencesAccess CFPropertyL
istCreateWithData(): The operation couldnтАЩt be completed. (Cocoa error 3840.)
Jan 24 15:43:17 localhost kernel[0] <Debug>: launchd[154] Builtin profile: racoo
n (sandbox)
Jan 24 15:43:22 localhost racoon[154] <Warning>: Entering racoon ROP.
Jan 24 15:43:22 localhost racoon[154] <Warning>: shmBaseAddress: fef00
Jan 24 15:43:22 localhost racoon[154] <Warning>: notifyd pid: 152
Jan 24 15:43:22 localhost racoon[154] <Warning>: Looked up notification center:
0x1203
Jan 24 15:43:22 localhost racoon[154] <Warning>: attached to notifyd
Jan 24 15:43:22 localhost racoon[154] <Warning>: sleeping...
Jan 24 15:43:23 localhost racoon[154] <Warning>: continuing...
Jan 24 15:43:23 localhost racoon[154] <Warning>: detached!!!
Jan 24 15:43:23 localhost racoon[154] <Warning>: sleeping...
Jan 24 15:43:24 localhost racoon[154] <Warning>: Local port: 0x1703
Jan 24 15:43:24 localhost racoon[154] <Warning>: attached to notifyd
Jan 24 15:43:24 localhost racoon[154] <Warning>: sleeping...
Jan 24 15:43:25 localhost racoon[154] <Warning>: continuing...
Jan 24 15:43:25 localhost racoon[154] <Warning>: detached!!!
Jan 24 15:43:25 localhost racoon[154] <Warning>: sleeping...
Jan 24 15:43:25 localhost kernel[0] <Debug>: missing or invalid entitlement hash

Jan 24 15:43:25 localhost racoon.log[156] <Error>: __SCPreferencesAccess CFPrope
rtyListCreateWithData(): The operation couldnтАЩt be completed. (Cocoa error 384
0.)
Jan 24 15:43:26 localhost racoon[154] <Warning>: Racoon ROP ended.
Jan 24 15:43:26 localhost com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.racoon) <Warning>: (co
m.apple.racoon) Throttling respawn: Will start in 1 seconds
Jan 24 15:43:27 localhost configd[14] <Notice>: IPSec disconnecting from server
Jan 24 15:43:27 localhost kernel[0] <Debug>: launchd[158] Builtin profile: racoo
n (sandbox)
Jan 24 15:43:27 localhost racoon[158] <Error>: __SCPreferencesAccess CFPropertyL
istCreateWithData(): The operation couldnтАЩt be completed. (Cocoa error 3840.)
Jan 24 15:43:27 localhost racoon[158] <Notice>: IPSec disconnecting from server
Jan 24 15:43:27 localhost racoon[158] <Notice>: IPSec disconnecting from server
Jan 24 15:43:28 localhost racoon.log[156] <Warning>: * Remounting root read-writ
e...
Jan 24 15:43:28 localhost racoon.log[156] <Warning>: * mount returned: -1
Jan 24 15:43:28 localhost racoon.log[156] <Warning>: * Starting kernel exploit..
Jan 24 15:43:28 localhost racoon.log[156] <Warning>: * Finished. Executing hello
Jan 24 15:43:28 localhost amfid[155] <Error>: /private/var/mobile/Media/corona/j
ailbreak not valid: 0xe800801c: No code signature found.
Jan 24 15:43:28 localhost com.apple.launchd[1] (jb[156]) <Notice>: (jb) Exited:
Killed: 9
Jan 24 15:43:28 localhost kernel[0] <Debug>: Sandbox: hook..execve() killing pid
156: outside of container && !i_can_has_debugger

While on the iPad I have the same error message : "A configuration error occurred." Of course, no JB. :(

Last edited:
OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've updated the tutorial with some preparation and troubleshooting advice based on feedback from various members. Please review those sections if you have been having trouble!

cannibal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ty dude never thought that jailbreakin could be this easy!!!.... rooting android is one hell of a problem but this is just swift too good:)

Most reactions

Latest posts