What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TUTORIAL - Failsafe method to restore the current version of IOS

bbecker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Cannot restore even in DFU mode to latest IOS

Hi,

Never jail breaked. Original IPAD 1 wth ATT 3G. Never updated. Tried to goto newest and greatest today.

Tried to do it via DFU mode.

Untitled.png
Help please....

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi,

Never jail breaked. Original IPAD 1 wth ATT 3G. Never updated. Tried to goto newest and greatest today.

Tried to do it via DFU mode.

Help please....

If your iPad was never jail broken, you should be able to connect it to iTunes and select upgrade. Make sure you have the most current version of iTunes, though. I believe the latest version iPod iTunes is 10.6 something.

So, update iTunes first. Then, try to do a straight upgrade via iTunes.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Marilyn

Access_Denied

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm hoping to get some help with my iPad. I'll try to explain my situation the best that I can. Please let me know if you need any other information. I'm new to the iPad world, and I'm trying to help other people with theirs, but I can't even get mine working. :p

iPad 1 - 5.1.0 9B176 (WiFi)
iTunes 10.6.1 (7)
Mac OSX 10.7.3

I got the iPad at 5.1.0. A friend gave it to me after he fixed it up. I then jailbroke it using an untethered jailbreak (I think I used redsn0w). That's where I am now. Since then, I tried to downgrade to 5.0.1 using SHSH blobs. It was a no go. Always got a 1600 error in iTunes, even with pwned DFU mode. Then today, a 5.1.1 untethered jailbreak comes out, so I decide to update to 5.1.1. Won't work in iTunes, won't work on the iPad, won't work in recover, DFU or pwned DFU mode. For the life of me, I can't figure out how to upgrade this thing. Every single time I get some sort of error. In DFU mode, I believe I get a 1600 error, and in normal mode I think iTunes gives me a 20 (21?) error.

I'm sure this has something to do with the jailbreak, but I'm somewhat lost. It's been a while since I've worked on iPod Touches and iPhones, so I'm slightly out of touch. If you can offer any help, I'd be very grateful. :)

Thanks in advance.

donetus

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i've been having a hardtime for hte past few days trying to restore my iPad via iTunes and then i stumbled upon this site. thanks. :)
i was able to restore it to 5.1.1.

UnWarierMage

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello,

I've followed the steps in this guide exactly and I get an error when trying to restore "This firmware is not compatible.".... I downloaded 5.1.1 from the links repository provided. How can this be resolved?

Thank you,

-UWM

reahn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
UnWarierMage said:
Hello,

I've followed the steps in this guide exactly and I get an error when trying to restore "This firmware is not compatible.".... I downloaded 5.1.1 from the links repository provided. How can this be resolved?

Thank you,

-UWM

what does the firmware file look like. what device do you have?

nozero

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Fixed Error 21 when trying to restore on iPad 2 using Tiny Umbrella

Not sure if this will help anyone else, but I fixed this issue on my iPad 2 running 5.1.1 by installing and using Tiny Umbrella v5.11.01. Connect iPad to your PC, open TU, select connected device and click the Exit Recovery button. Viola!

Good luck, this one cost me a couple of hours on my day off.:(

I'd like to know if this DOES help you?

barefootpilot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Trying to restore to latest version 5.1.1 (as at end May 2012). Followed the guide but it failed with the 3194 error. Went back into TinyUmbrella and on the advanced tab, the box which says "Set hosts to Cydia on exit" is UNTICKED, but also it is greyed out and I can't tick/untick it at all. When TU starts it warns me that it is checked, but when I look it appears not to be, and I can't change it anyway.

Any ideas? Running Windows 7 version, iPad 2,1 currently on 5.01 jailbroked with Absinthe.

Ran TU as administrator and it made no difference.

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Trying to restore to latest version 5.1.1 (as at end May 2012). Followed the guide but it failed with the 3194 error. Went back into TinyUmbrella and on the advanced tab, the box which says "Set hosts to Cydia on exit" is UNTICKED, but also it is greyed out and I can't tick/untick it at all. When TU starts it warns me that it is checked, but when I look it appears not to be, and I can't change it anyway.

Any ideas? Running Windows 7 version, iPad 2,1 currently on 5.01 jailbroked with Absinthe.

Ran TU as administrator and it made no difference.

Windows, or something running on your PC (such as anti-virus / anti-malware) is protecting your hosts file from being updated as a security feature, however the file is already changed to point to Cydia. You are going to have to either disable whatever is protecting it, or edit the file manually and remove all referenced to gs.apple.com from the file.

Hope that helps.

Redneck_Randy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Little tip for people using TU.

If you have any VMWare services running you need to stop all VMWare in Windows Services for TU to work.

muelgrub

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Windows, or something running on your PC (such as anti-virus / anti-malware) is protecting your hosts file from being updated as a security feature, however the file is already changed to point to Cydia. You are going to have to either disable whatever is protecting it, or edit the file manually and remove all referenced to gs.apple.com from the file.

Hope that helps.
I'm getting this same error and have nothing protecting my files. What can I try now? Or what file is it that you're suggesting we edit manually and "remove all referenced to gs.apple.com from the file. "

Last edited:

ayman007

iPF Noob
Reaction score
when i pressed shift and restore in itunes they said it was not compactabale .... what do i do???
i have an Ipad 2 wifi 16GB with 4.3.5 version

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
when i pressed shift and restore in itunes they said it was not compactabale .... what do i do???
i have an Ipad 2 wifi 16GB with 4.3.5 version

Could you please expand your question a bit? What are you trying to do that you get this error?

Marilyn

muelgrub

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm getting the same failed the 3194 error. Why is that happening? or to fix?
thanks!

Most reactions

Latest posts