What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TUTORIAL - Failsafe method to restore the current version of IOS

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
rotation said:
Just to clear up:

This tutorial is working without having Apple signing the firmware?
So it is working for all versions where the shsh blobs have been stored for a particular device?

No. Current means current, and only current, which today = 5.1. the main post is very clear about that. You cannot use this guide to install a previous version of ios.

Last edited:

Plean

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Issue

I did what you said but i am still getting 3194 and also i am upgrading my ipad 1 ver. 4.3.3 to 5.0.1 HELP PLEASE

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Plean said:
I did what you said but i am still getting 3194 and also i am upgrading my ipad 1 ver. 4.3.3 to 5.0.1 HELP PLEASE

5.0.1 is NOT the current firmware ;)

Read the guide again. it only relates to the current firmware, which is 5.1 today.

You need to have saved SHSH Blobs for 5.0.1 and use redsn0w to stitch them into a custom firmware to restore 5.0.1 on an iPad1.

cintoy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
is it possible to upgrade from 5.01 jailbroken to 5.1 through iPad directly? or do i need to use iTunes to download it?
and will the JB still be available afterwards?

cintoy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes

You will loose the jailbreak and there is no jailbreak for ios 5.1 yet.

I see. Thanks
I am still new to iPad so I might ask silly questions like the one below. =p
Will the apps I got from JB disfunction after I upgrade to 5.1?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
What apps are you talking about, specifically? And from where did you get them?

If you got them from Cydia, they will be gone (because you'll have no jail break). If you got them from the App Store, they'll be fine on the new iOS.

Marilyn

cintoy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yup.. those I got from cydia.. Understood.

But now I become more confused.
I can sync the apps I got from cydia to iTunes.. I can recover those cydia apps to my ipad (still in JB status) but all the data files inside are gone..
I got this reading comic apps from cydia... I have downloaded few manga chapters. But accidently removed the apps during the sync with iTunes.. Then I sync-ed it back to my iPad, but all the chapters I downloaded earlier are gone.. T-T:(
Is this how it was supposed to be? No back up data for Jailbreak apps?

galexa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the walkthrough. I've gone through the steps multiple times but still get error 21.

I'm on a Mac and there's no special AV / Firewall s/w other than what's built into my router and I've updated my phone to 5.1 without problems. The iPad hasn't been jailbroken. I can edit the hosts file - no Apple IPs in there. Hardware Growler tells me it's in DFU mode so I'm fairly sure I'm doing all that ok.

Anything else I can try?

Thanks.

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the walkthrough. I've gone through the steps multiple times but still get error 21.

I'm on a Mac and there's no special AV / Firewall s/w other than what's built into my router and I've updated my phone to 5.1 without problems. The iPad hasn't been jailbroken. I can edit the hosts file - no Apple IPs in there. Hardware Growler tells me it's in DFU mode so I'm fairly sure I'm doing all that ok.

Anything else I can try?

Thanks.

Are you using the cable that came with your iPad? 3rd party and older iPhone / iPod cables have been known to cause problems with the restore. Try a different cable and make sure you are not connecting via a hub (connect directly into the Mac).

galexa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Are you using the cable that came with your iPad? 3rd party and older iPhone / iPod cables have been known to cause problems with the restore. Try a different cable and make sure you are not connecting via a hub (connect directly into the Mac).
Thanks for the suggestions. I've tried a few different cables - one of them must be the original - and two different computers without hubs :-(
The only other thing that I can think that's changed since upgrading the phone is a new version of iTunes, which makes me wonder if Apple broke something. It's less than 4 months old so I guess it's a trip back to the Apple store. Sigh.

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
No, you should always be using the latest iTunes. Don't know what else to suggest. Sorry. 5 years, and these rules never fail me... :(

jmw5678

iPF Noob
Reaction score
error 37

Hello,
I have followed this and trying to upgrade my ipad 1 to latest ISO but when it get's to the end of the update and starts updating firmware, it always fails with Error 37?
I have no AV running, using a Mac with Lion. Any idea whats wrong?

Thanks

mario24601

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I have tired everything listed here to fix my first gen iPad but still get either 1600, 1601, or 1602 error. Any other ideas on what to try?

alert5

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks. Your guide worked just fine for me. I went from a jailbroken 5.01b to 5.1.1 clean iPad2.

Most reactions

Latest posts